How hard is it to build a rig?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to build a computer. I have all the parts picked out but I've never built a computer before. I'm 15 and my dad thinks I'm incapable of doing it and that I'm gonna put it together and it won't work. I got a PC Gamer awhile back called the ultimate how to's for gamers and I studied the pc building guide religiously. My dad has a pc he never uses that's in the basement but he won't let me take it apart. So how hard would it be to build a computer for the first time assuming you know what parts go where and have a magazine with 77 steps on building a comp and the internet for tech support?
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
It's not that hard, really. It's a matter of making the parts fit, and which cables go where. If follow the steps, you'll git r done. Just don't get upset that it doesnt work the first time. It's trial and error when finding what went wrong. Have patience, and it'll be allll good. Btw, when i turned 15, i convinced my parents to let me buy my own parts and build my own computer. Maybe if you can convince them it's your own responsibility, they might let you build your own rig.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
Id say maybe a 5. I dont think putting it together was that hard. I though putting all the software, OS, games, internet, email, and stuff was the hardest.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
whoops, i forgot a rating. 7, because sometimes people just give up.
Paradeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Paradeus
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
3/10. Make sure you know which slots correspond to which cards and you're golden. Hook up the power cables. See if the thing boots. Heck, in some cases you don't even need to use a screw driver.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

I always thought about building a computer but never did for this reason, i live in hawaii and sometimes shipping is insane when trying to get things shipped here, so my question is would it still be cheaper to build my own computer?

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
   Well the hardest part is researching what hardware is going to give you the best performance for your money, and making sure it is all compatible with one another, unless money is of no concern then you just buy the most expensive everything. But seeing as how you've already done that, the rest shouldn't be too hard. At 15 your hands are probably still pretty small, that is probably the most frustrating part for me, its so hard to get things in with fully grown hands. Just take your time, don't force things into place unless you're sure its going in right and it'll turn out fine.
   If you wouldn't mind, post up the parts list and price you're paying. Never hurts to double check with your peers that everything is going to work together and you aren't getting ripped off.
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts
If you can plug a keyboard and monitor into your current PC, you can build your own, it's as simple as that. I suggest using a guide or two, like the one on the corsair website to help you along, but yeah, I'm 15, and I built my PC, it's quite easy, you can do it. And as mentioned before, the hardest part really is finding what will be the best for your money, but if you post a price range here, somebody will help you out...
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts

I always thought about building a computer but never did for this reason, i live in hawaii and sometimes shipping is insane when trying to get things shipped here, so my question is would it still be cheaper to build my own computer?

dahwnpapaya
If you bought it all from one place it should still be quite a bit cheaper. Especially for a gaming rig, there is no way you wouldn't save money, as even with a gaming rig you'd still have to get it shipped there too most likely. Furthermore, you'll know each part of your pc is of high grade, almost all pc makers put cheap ram, mobos, psus etc. into their computers because most people won't even notice.
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts
[QUOTE="dahwnpapaya"]

BeavermanA
If you bought it all from one place it should still be quite a bit cheaper. Especially for a gaming rig, there is no way you wouldn't save money, as even with a gaming rig you'd still have to get it shipped there too most likely. Furthermore, you'll know each part of your pc is of high grade, almost all pc makers put cheap ram, mobos, psus etc. into their computers because most people won't even notice.

Examples: Advertise high speed memory, and large capacities, but usually add DDR2-533, when for little more money, DDR2-667 could be added...
Add the smallest PSU that will power your system.
You won't find a 680i in your Dell...
Avatar image for Generalkill8888
Generalkill8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Generalkill8888
Member since 2004 • 5305 Posts
On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to build a computer. I have all the parts picked out but I've never built a computer before. I'm 15 and my dad thinks I'm incapable of doing it and that I'm gonna put it together and it won't work. I got a PC Gamer awhile back called the ultimate how to's for gamers and I studied the pc building guide religiously. My dad has a pc he never uses that's in the basement but he won't let me take it apart. So how hard would it be to build a computer for the first time assuming you know what parts go where and have a magazine with 77 steps on building a comp and the internet for tech support?
Hot_Potato
If you know what your doing, its not hard at all. If its your first time building a PC its pretty difficult and nerve racking.
Solaris222002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Solaris222002
Member since 2004 • 979 Posts
I'd say 5/10, I thought it was gonna be like rocket science but everything has a place for it so you wont screw up so much that you cant fix it if you connect the wrong thing. If you get stuck somewhere there are plently of sites to get help, the one thing that worried me the most was making sure I was grounded the entire time because I didnt want to ruin a card from static. Its really very easy :)
el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts
I built my first (with minimal help from my dad) at 13.
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

3/10. Use the PC builder guide at the corsair website http://tools.corsairmemory.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=12472

The hardest part for me was putting the heatsink in (making the little attachments fit into the motherboard without twisting the heatsink and removing too much arctic silver), other than that it was fairly easy.

PVCSnathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PVCSnathan
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts
Picking out the parts is a 3/10. With a little research, one can figure out what parts belong together and build a good box. Building a computer is a 1/10. Anyone that possesses a moderate amount of common sense and has the capability of thinking logically should find it easy to plug in the wires (they only go in one way), seat the ram and cpu and video card (they only go in one way too ;) ), and tighten a few screws. I have seen some people not be able to even When it comes to setting up Windows, it's a whole different story--that's a 4/10. Although setting it up is easy, there is usually at least one conflict that needs to be resolved. Once that conflict (if there happens to be one) is resolved, it's smooth sailing. It's about the same experience with Linux. They both require common sense and logical thinking to set up (and sometimes a little tweaking here and there). I built my first box when I was fifteen and was very overjoyed that "I could do it." Now I look back and think of what a simple thing it was to build that thing. Good luck on your build. :)
johnboy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnboy07
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts
If you have a techy friend who can help you than you wont become as frustrated, or else get a friend who knows computers. Probably changing a spare tire more difficult. 5/10
oldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 oldogg
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts
i built mine when i was 16 so you should wait a year.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
It's not actually that hard to build it, it's really straightforward and everything generally fits in one spot or type of spot and everything is clearly labeled in the manuals or on the parts. The only real hard part can be getting those last few components in there if your case becomes cluttered. That and picking out the parts you want.
4/10.. (1 being sleeping, 10 being my test tomorrow morning in pchem)
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I think the hardest part was making sure all the parts would actually fit together into a coherent system. If you already have the parts picked out like you say, I'd rate the difficulty a 3/10; if you can read words and schematics, it really is a breeze. The rig I posted pictures of in the official thread for doing so was my first attempt at putting together a machine; the most difficult part for me was figuring out how to wire the case's power and reboot buttons, as my motherboard (ECS's PA1 MVP Extreme Crossfire Board) schematic lacked details about how to do so.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hot_Potato

SPECS:

Case:
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower
Mobo: eVGA 680i
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
GPU: eVGA 8800GTX
Ram: Corsair XMS DDR2 800 (2x1GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250GB
PSU: Corsair 620 Watt
Disk Drive: Samsung 18x DVD burner
OS: Windows XP w/ SP2 (upgrading to Vista or Vienna later)
Monitor: BenQ 20.1" Widescreen, 8ms, 1680x1050

Total: $2,191.92

Those are the specs. I'm about halfway there. I think I'm getting XP because Vista just isn't worth it. The only DX10 games so far are like Crysis and Halo 2. If UT3, Crysis, Episode 2, STALKER, and all those other games can play on DX9, even if they don't look as good I might as well get XP.

2,200 is the most I'll spend.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hot_Potato
i built mine when i was 16 so you should wait a year.oldogg
That doesn't affect me at all, lol.
spazmo_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spazmo_69
Member since 2006 • 592 Posts
doin the bios settings and software is a pain in the arse the hardware part is easy if you knw wat you are doing, just follow the steps and if you have trouble take it to your local pc place
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

For a first time builder: 8.5/10.  For others, like myself, who have much experience: 3/10

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
Im 15 and am concidering building a pc for my 16th. But what would you say is the minimum amount of money needed to build a decent pc(please not I live in good old englend)...... oh yeah it always makes me laugh how there is so many americans on the GB gamespot??
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
i had built my own abt 3 weeks b4, it wasnt that hard exept placing the cpu and applyin the right amount of artic silver, also forgot the master n slave thing so i thought i wrecked my pc :D. its really easy 2\10
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
Hey i have vista installed, all games run smooth on it and if u have 2 gb ram its just perfect, it really has a nice theme overall, exept the image viewer is BAD, if ur up 2 gaming only stay on xp, but if ur up 2 more internet stuff u should change 2 vista.
pokefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pokefant
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
Did you ever play with Legos as a kid?

The same principles apply with PC's... except on a bigger scale.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Did you ever play with Legos as a kid?

pokefant
Huh?
pokefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pokefant
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
[QUOTE="pokefant"]Did you ever play with Legos as a kid?

DirkVDV01
Huh?

In the sense that everything just kinda fits together.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"][QUOTE="pokefant"]Did you ever play with Legos as a kid?

pokefant
Huh?

In the sense that everything just kinda fits together.

Oh, well, that isn't exactly right. With Lego, all pieces have the same connectors and holes at the bottom, making sure that each pieces always fits each other piece. In terms of PC components, it's a bit more complicated then that, and lots of different standards and specifications make fitting the right pieces together a little bit more of a hastle. But I like the analogy.