How fast is 25Mbps?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I'm officially totally fed up with AT&T, and I'm buying a comcast hookup, even if my roommate doesn't cancel the AT&T. We'll just rock both for a bit. Whatever. Anyway, I'm looking at the comcast packages, and trying to decide how fast I'll need. I don't even know how fast my current ATT hookup is, and I don't care. I'd gladly take slower internet as long as it's stable and doesn't crash every 20 minutes like ATT (seriously, for weeks now, my internet has crashed every 20 minutes like fucking clockwork. I've done everything on their "shit to check" list, and no luck. They deny that it's their problem, even though their support forums are literally flooded with complaints of the exact same shit. I hope someone is putting together a lawsuit, because ATT deserves it. They straight up have not delivered the product everybody is paying for, and seemingly refuse to).

Anyway, moving past the rant... All I want to be able to do is play some goddamn counterstrike and Path of Exile, and download stuff from steam. What kind of ping and download speeds would a 25Mbps connection translate to? I used to have comcast at my old place, and I can't remember which package we had, but it was one of their cheapest options. And it was not only flawlessly stable, but also quite a bit faster than the ATT I have now.

So yeah, what kind of actual measurable speed is 25Mbps? Should I pay the extra to go 50Mbps?

Edit: Just did the speedcheck.net test. I don't know how accurate that is, but it says my download speed is only like 5Mbps. Seems slow, but I have no problem with the speed of my current internet, when it's working. Just the instability that is beyond ridiculous. So I guess I probably could just go with literally the cheapest internet option comcast has, and it'll actually be faster and more stable than this. Still though. Any suggestions? Anyone else in Northern California? What do you guys use?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_bi99man

@roulettethedog: That's what I was thinking. Starting to think my comcast at my old place was a 25Mbps connection. That'll be just fine for me. I already get less than 70 ping on the counterstrike servers I play on (when it's at least working, that is), and this connection is apparently not even 10Mbps.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DIV1D3
Member since 2013 • 139 Posts

@the_bi99man: How do you people get such high internet connection speeds. I really need to get ADSL 2+, though the internet in Australia is just really crap in general.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_bi99man

@DIV1D3 said:

@the_bi99man: How do you people get such high internet connection speeds.

By headin out Californi-way. Hear they got a whole mess of internet out there.

Seriously though, yeah, it's just that Australian internet is real bad, not that the internet here is particularly good. Although it can be, if you want to pay a bunch. Also, keep in mind that the advertised download speeds are measured in Mbps (megabits per second), which is different from MB/sec (megabytes per second) which is the one that actually matters. That's why I was asking about it in the OP, to begin with. So when I say my connection tested at about 5Mbps, that doesn't mean I get 5 MB/sec downloads. That would be super fast. With about 5Mbps connection, my downloads go like 400-800k usually. Sometimes hitting 1 MB/sec, if I'm lucky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Well if you got 5Mbps in your speedtest that would be around 600Kb/s, which sounds about right as you said you get 400-800Kb/s usually.

I don't know prices there, but you can get 76Mbit here for around $35 a month. It's worth the extra IMO.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DIV1D3
Member since 2013 • 139 Posts

@the_bi99man: Yeh, very much the same here. Though I once got 2MB/second for like half a minute once. A glorious day it was.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I'm fine with 5Mbit, though I wouldn't refuse to have good upload speed so I could stream gameplay via Twitch

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I'm fine with 5Mbit, though I wouldn't refuse to have good upload speed so I could stream gameplay via Twitch

You and I both

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

If you are by yourself then 25mb/s is plenty for an internet connection.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

You will enjoy the 25mb connection. I had Comcast before I got fiber and it worked perfect.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
  • My last connection was a 24mb... My download speeds through steam was 1.9-2.2Mbps.
  • My current connection is 120mb... My download speeds through steam is 9.8-10.5Mbps.
  • You had a 5mb connection... Your download speeds were between 400-800Kbps.

Your download speed is going to be at best around 1/10th of the advertised mb.

25mb = 2.5Mbps but it could also be anything from 1.5-2.5Mbps because they are advertised as UP TO!.

Its a good speed for gaming but... Lets face facts here games are getting bigger and 10-25mb connections now are what dial up was once games broke the 1GB file size. Games are now 10GB+ average and some are even 20GB+. You don't want to waste a whole day downloading a game... If the price isn't too steep go for the 50mb connection.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's about 3 megabytes/second. Knowing AT&T, it will be just as advertised at peak or below, mostly 2mb/s.

With comcast, 25 megabits sometimes gave me 5 megabyte downloads. Both are overpriced junk. Can't wait for Google Fiber.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

It's about 3 megabytes/second. Knowing AT&T, it will be just as advertised at peak or below, mostly 2mb/s.

With comcast, 25 megabits sometimes gave me 5 megabyte downloads. Both are overpriced junk. Can't wait for Google Fiber.

Depends on the location too. I have AT&T fiber optics @ 24Mbps and I get 3-3.5 mb/s on steam consistently.

I had 50Mbps cable with Time Warner Cable and I was only getting 2mb/s on steam, max.