How do you use a patch?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kylebuddy30 (51 posts) -
I know i sound like an idiot but i aint great with PC's and Pc games...To use a patch for a game do you just download and install or is there something else to it? do you press run or save (can you save it anywhere?), or does it matter? Just wondering how you make a patch come into a effect and what you have to do to make it work.
#2 Posted by WOP_4_LIFE (1116 posts) -
just download it and save the file to where u can find it when its done downloading like ur desktop. Than click on it to install, it should do anything but itself after that.
#3 Posted by solid_mario (3144 posts) -
Just run it straight from the website (if it is big, you may want to save it so you won't be forced to dl it again if you should need to), then an installer should come up and it is easy!
#4 Posted by DesolateGraveX (25 posts) -
It's a fairly simple proccess usually. Most patches come in executable (.exe) files nowadays, so you usually just have to run the file and find the directory for the game (though it usually automatically detects it), it will do the rest itself.
#5 Posted by Colonel_Cool (1335 posts) -
To make a patch work you have to sew it onto your game disk wherever the hole is at.
#6 Posted by chrisdk203 (25 posts) -
how do you use a patch? for example, if there are multiple patches available for a particular game, do i have to download and install all of them or only the latest one? is it the same of all games? thanks
#7 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
how do you use a patch? for example, if there are multiple patches available for a particular game, do i have to download and install all of them or only the latest one? is it the same of all games? thankschrisdk203
Just download the latest one unless it's incremental patch, you need the previous patch.
#8 Posted by Buttons1990 (3167 posts) -

how do you use a patch? for example, if there are multiple patches available for a particular game, do i have to download and install all of them or only the latest one? is it the same of all games? thankschrisdk203

Most of them are either full-patches, where it includes all previous updates...

Or slight incremental patches... What I mean by this is that they will include previous patches to a point... Like CoD: WaW for example... there have been like 5 updates... You don't need to go and download 1.0 to 1.1, then 1.1 to 1.2, etc... You would just need 1.0-1.2, 1.2-1.4, 1.4-1.5/6 (can't remember the latest version)... (It will say in the description what version you need to use a patch, like for the 1.4 patch, it will say you need at least 1.2 installed...)

Others though, are still dinosaurs and you need to go and download every single patch ever released to get the game up-to-date...

#9 Posted by Chrisolumuyiwa (25 posts) -
pls how do i use the pro evolution soccer 2010 patch ver 1.2.0 pls i need ur help
#10 Posted by k0r3aN_pR1d3 (2148 posts) -
pls how do i use the pro evolution soccer 2010 patch ver 1.2.0 pls i need ur help Chrisolumuyiwa
Just double click it.
#11 Posted by jajstrpgmstr83 (25 posts) -
so what i want to know is do you have to download the game first then use the patch on it??