How do you set up 2 monitors + 1 TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Okay, I'm not going to lie, I did not do my research in terms of what display ports are. So my system specs are i5-3500k, Gtx 970, 16gb ram, windows 7. I have 2 monitors and 1 TV (near by). My intention was to set up all 3 but only use 2, i'd use the TV if I'm playing a game with a xbox remote.

Now here is the problem. 1 monitor is new and it has every connection, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and Display port. The other monitor only has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. It has no Display port. My TV has only HDMI.

My intention was to set up one monitor with DVI-DVI, the other with Display Port, and the TV with Hdmi-Hdmi. I now find out that you can't have HDMI and Display Ports plugged in the same graphic card. So what are you solutions guys.

#2 Edited by neatfeatguy (4254 posts) -
@Berserker1_5 said:

Okay, I'm not going to lie, I did not do my research in terms of what display ports are. So my system specs are i5-3500k, Gtx 970, 16gb ram, windows 7. I have 2 monitors and 1 TV (near by). My intention was to set up all 3 but only use 2, i'd use the TV if I'm playing a game with a xbox remote.

Now here is the problem. 1 monitor is new and it has every connection, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and Display port. The other monitor only has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. It has no Display port. My TV has only HDMI.

My intention was to set up one monitor with DVI-DVI, the other with Display Port, and the TV with Hdmi-Hdmi. I now find out that you can't have HDMI and Display Ports plugged in the same graphic card. So what are you solutions guys.

My 980Ti has 3 Display Ports (DP), 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. None of my monitors had a DP, they have VGA, DVI and HDMI.

My 3 monitors I have plugged into my 980Ti like this: One uses DVI, one uses HDMI, one uses DP (on the GPU side) to HDMI (on the monitor - this clearly required a DP to HDMI adapter).

You shouldn't have any issues with different ports. Clearly hook up the TV with DVI. Hook up the non-DP monitor with HDMI and the third one with DP. It should work just fine.

#3 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Okay so I tried doing the follow

1 monitor with Display Port
1 Monitor with DVI to HDMI
and the TV HDMI and HDMI

Only one monitor is working. The PC cannot detect the others.

#4 Edited by neatfeatguy (4254 posts) -

You go into the Display options in windows and extend the desktop to the other monitors?

If you're not sure how, just google "how to extend desktop to other monitors in windows X"

X = whatever version of Windows you have

Also, you may need to adjust what input your monitors are using. I had to change 2 of my monitors from using DVI to HDMI. You'll have to consult your manuals on how to do this or look through the menu options on the monitors (hopefully they have video input button to make things easy).

#5 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Yeah they are fairly new monitors. I made sure to change them to correct input

The problem is that when I go into display settling so I can extend my desktop to other monitors, it cannot locate anymore. It only located the display port

#6 Edited by neatfeatguy (4254 posts) -

Can you get the others to show up without the DP one connected?

You can try checking out this youtube video - might help you with your situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKOglobS7Y8

#7 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Ok so

the two monitors, if I use DVI to HDMI , and a HDMI to HDMI, I can use both monitors.

If I use Display Port, that's the only monitor that shows up. The other one doesn't

#8 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Not sure what happened, but apparently it just started working. By itself

#9 Posted by neatfeatguy (4254 posts) -

@Berserker1_5 said:

Not sure what happened, but apparently it just started working. By itself

Nothing wrong with that as long as it's working. Hopefully it stays that way for you and no more issues. Have fun gaming!

#10 Posted by Berserker1_5 (1967 posts) -

Thank you again.

#12 Posted by PredatorRules (12408 posts) -
@alshedfi said:

Hi

I know 3 years old topic anyway i have same setup but i couldn't do it i have 2 32" 4k monitors and 1 4k tv 65" i want to use the 2 monitors as vertical and the tv horizontal. the cables i have 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. Any advice how to do it?!

How about starting a new thread?

Old thread - locked.