How do you play games and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psp-freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psp-freak
Member since 2005 • 528 Posts
I want to know how people play. I use the third option, which I believe is the most popular one. I like this one because a non-inverted mouse just feels more natural, and WASD keeps my arms spread out and not cramped up.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
3rd option as well. But when I'm feeling kinky I will sometimes use the home, delete, end, and pagedown keys for directional movement, which then gives me the numpad to use for assigning hotkeys (0 for jump, decimal for reload, etc.). But like the arrow keys, it can feel cramped.
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
I always play with WASD and without inverted mouse.
dar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 dar_
Member since 2003 • 8762 Posts

ESDF without inverted mouse.

I'm used to it, and in games that require a lot of keys, you get more keys to use with your pinky. Also, F has the little ridge for touch typing, which makes the finger placement that much more intuitive.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
WASD without inverted mouse for me.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

I'm used to it, and in games that require a lot of keys, you get more keys to use with your pinky. Also, F has the little ridge for touch typing, which makes the finger placement that much more intuitive.

dar_

Ah very interesting! I may have to try that! :D

But who the f*** would invert the mouse?!?

sasjebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sasjebus
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
I used to use the arrows with my old keybord (it was very small so there wasn't any space between the arrows and the other keys); but when switching to my new keyboard that was nog longer possible so now I use ZQSD (in Belgium we use azerty and not qwerty keyboards)
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

arrow keys get a bad rep, but i think it's more comfortable

i'm right handed, but i found the set of the keys comfortable and convenient and don't have a problem with having my hands close together

as for the number of keys available, the selection with arrow keys has so far been more than sufficient for me with every game i've played, except jedi knight 2 (with all those force powers)

the thought of playing with an inverted mouse offends my senses though, i've never even considered doing that

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

dar_

I remember this was the default controls for Tribes 2. Although I got used to it in that game, I just could never adapt it to any other games, something just never fet right about it for some reason.

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
I use my 360 gamepad from time to time (only for racing games or games like Blazing Angels).
Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

2nd or 3rd option.

Usually 3rd though - WASD w/o inverted mouse.

Radik782

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Radik782
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts

I use WASD without inverted mouse.

Although when i was younger i used the arrow keys for a pretty large amount of time, a habbit my dad had passed on to me.

noir123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 noir123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

But who the f*** would invert the mouse?!?

Me. I'm awesome. Not many others do though. I use esdf and invert mouse. esdf is superior in every way to wasd, more space, better positioning, less hitting capslock if you still have it on your keyboard. The only valid argument I've ever heard against esdf is the "I'm used to wasd" XD which is fine and all but the ease of moving a key to the right and spending a couple of weeks getting used to it kinda dismisses that.

You should definitely give it a go, frees up qazw which can be pretty handy in games with leaning, which is when I first started using this config (thief), as well as q3/ut for weapon/chat binds and such. I haven't looked back.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Forerunner-117

Me. I'm awesome. Not many others do though. I use esdf and invert mouse. esdf is superior in every way to wasd, more space, better positioning, less hitting capslock if you still have it on your keyboard. The only valid argument I've ever heard against esdf is the "I'm used to wasd" XD which is fine and all but the ease of moving a key to the right and spending a couple of weeks getting used to it kinda dismisses that.

You should definitely give it a go, frees up qazw which can be pretty handy in games with leaning, which is when I first started using this config (thief), as well as q3/ut for weapon/chat binds and such. I haven't looked back.

noir123

Like i said earlier, i really wanna try this esdf control scheme but i'm still not buying the inverted mouse look :P

fuAWEckSOinMEg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fuAWEckSOinMEg
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
Usually WASD w/ Inverted mouse but sometimes numpad with inverted mouse, all depends on what game I'm playing and what controls I've grown used to for it, heh.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Don't have my setup.

Q-left W-up E-right S-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

Always have used WASD and no inverted mouse, even when playing games involving air vehicles i never invert my mouse like some seem to prefer. One reason i couldn't use ESDF is the fact im so used to having R for reload and binding 1,2,3,4 etc for weapons so i find it easier if movement keys are close to weapon keys.

I know that if i were to use ESDF for long enough i'd become familiar with it, but im of the philosophy that if you get on ok with a configuration then don't change it.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Forerunner-117

Always have used WASD and no inverted mouse, even when playing games involving air vehicles i never invert my mouse like some seem to prefer. One reason i couldn't use ESDF is the fact im so used to having R for reload and binding 1,2,3,4 etc for weapons so i find it easier if movement keys are close to weapon keys.

I know that if i were to use ESDF for long enough i'd become familiar with it, but im of the philosophy that if you get on ok with a configuration then don't change it.

true dat

singher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 singher
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

WASD without inverted mouse

Can't see why one would invert the mouse...
Unless they are play some sort of flight sim and don't have a joystick...
But who doesn't have a joystick:D

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
WASD without inverted mouse lol
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19600 Posts

WASD without in inverted mouse (unless I'm playing a flight/space sim).

Why? I'm too lazy to reset the controls whenever I buy a new game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58509 Posts
WASD and mouse. Took me forever to get used to it while playing the first Unreal game, but I havent touched the arrow keys since!
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts

WASD without inverted mouse.

Used to be arrow keys, then someone told me to change.

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

Talking about the arrow keys... I used them until I played Half Life, that was the first game Iplayed using WASD + mouse. Up until then,I played every FPS with the arrow keys (even Quake 2, I used the arrows to move forward/backward and turn, ALT to strafe, A and Z to look up/down)

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
What is the difference with and without inverted mouse?
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
WASD without inverted mouse.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
WASD without inverted mouse, always seemed most natural to me
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Who would use an inverted mouse?
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts
WASD and inverted mouse. As I rember a lot of old games I played (dos-era) had direction keys and inverted mouse as a default control scheme. I changed to wasd as it's way easier to reach other keys but never bothered to abandon the inverted mouse. It's what I'm used to and, believe it or not, inverted mouse actually makes sense to me. For example: you move the mouse back like you would move your head back to look up. I am intrigued by the previously mentioned ESDF, might give that a try..
noir123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 noir123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Yeah, invert makes sense to me as well but recently playing destination treasure island I noticed why uninvert makes sense to some people. In the middle of the screen is a cursor but you move your head like fps. With the cursor it suddenly makes sense why people want to push up to move up. As for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" about wasd which I refered to in my original post, that argument is fine but the difference is esdf actually gives you more functionality with the wqaz opened up.

Of course there is no real reason you couldn't extend that and play maybe yghj and be able to use virtually every key on the keyboard. I'd try it but I'm too used to esdf ;P

Unreal was the first game to introduce me to invert mouse too.