How do you name your characters in an MMO?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cboyuno (647 posts) -

I know there are many different approaches to this so I thought I would extract some of them from you guys...now that Guild Wars 2 is launching on Friday Night. :cool:I know which race/class I want to play but not the name! So how do you guys decide? (See poll too).

#2 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

I make up a humorous name relating to the character's appearance and/or sex and/or class and/or spec and hope that a GM doesn't ban me for it.

#3 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Some people make lore-based names. I have a set of names I use for MMOs.
#4 Posted by cboyuno (647 posts) -

I make up a humorous name relating to the character's appearance and/or sex and/or class and/or spec and hope that a GM doesn't ban me for it.

-Unreal-

lmao that reminds me...I got banned once in WoW for ..."Impresonating a GM". Pranking my RL friend a little too hard. gg

#5 Posted by Mazoch (2473 posts) -
I have a handful of made-up names I reuse in new MMO I try out (for example Mazoch)
#6 Posted by QQabitmoar (1892 posts) -

For L2 I have a specific name I'm known as in years, so I use that in every new server, like most people who play. For other games I have a few names that I choose from that are from other games, or from manga, or just names I used in the past.

#7 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -
As dirty as allowable
#9 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
I get my nerd on and look up names from gaming Lore/Greek Gods/DND books. The best option. :cool:
#10 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

jedi_legolas

Pro_killer_93

XxXbeastMODEXXX

betterthanu666

hotgirl69

#11 Posted by sailor232 (6880 posts) -

I normally look around me, find a few items and mash those two names together to form one single amazing name.

#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24623 posts) -
use the same name I always use if it has to be different something related to shaft is always a good start
#14 Posted by Zubinen (2555 posts) -
I use my first name "Zubin" and if I cannot have it by itself then I add some sort of suffix for example Zubin31337, Zubinek, Zubinen, Zubino, Zubine, Zubinitus, Zubinator, etc. Pseudonyms to me seem silly.
#15 Posted by cboyuno (647 posts) -

jedi_legolas

Pro_killer_93

XxXbeastMODEXXX

betterthanu666

hotgirl69

jakes456

Dont forget:

TrunksSuperSaiyan42

Spartan1337

Redrum93231231

Owner1442

#16 Posted by cboyuno (647 posts) -

I normally look around me, find a few items and mash those two names together to form one single amazing name.

sailor232

that would fall under the fourth category i guess

#17 Posted by Lach0121 (11391 posts) -

If I don't make up a completely new name...

I use pieces of names/titles, and either add to them, or mash them with other ones that I am fond of.

I often stay away from the obvious (and often over-used) names, or screename/tags.

Its quite nice when I see somewhat unique names, or ones with thought put into them, instead of the usual uninspiring names.

#18 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

I read a book series called The Engineer Trilogy. The names in that series were awesome. I usually pick Ziani, Vaatzes, Valens, Veatriz (for a female), or one that i made up that is similar to those called Velharminaaq.

#19 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
i usually just use BrunoBRS, but for GW2 (like the first one), i want lore friendly names, so i did some research, looked up what names i liked (drawing inspiration from games or those online name origin lists), messed a little here and there, and voila. here's what i used on my research on GW2 names
#20 Posted by Drosa (3136 posts) -

I had raided an website full of old names from Europe and Asia but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. Almost all of the name on my list were used by someone else is The Old Republic. Seem that many more people than I thought had the same idea.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
#21 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8463 posts) -
I have names I use when I played WoW. I used the random name generator when I played that game since it was my first MMO. and I've used names generated from there as future references for MMO games.
#22 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
For any type of game that lets you make up names, I try to make something unique that fits the culture/race/look of the character, normal names, not 6(&*^!#PWNJOW3!@#&&UEQ:ZXXX.
#23 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -

I "borrow" a name from someone or something that I thought sounded cool

27%I know this is entirly to rampant and just wanted to drop in my 2 cents on the subject.Firstly, I get my names from books or just start sounding out something till it sounds good to me. Mostly i stick with a couple of names really, the user name i have here even is my primary one that i use in any mmo or game that "I" play. I say that "i" play because to many people love to steal someone else's name. While it can be argued that i stole mine from a "Book", It often dumb founds me how so many, many people can be so ignorant, And or stupid?Honestly though make up or get your own name. If your to stupid, go use your real life name in a translator for italian or spanish ect.. and get your own thing going.(^ Generalized Statment, I had a lot of names i used to use that quickly got stolen. I dont personally like to use names other people have and or use. Not even saying i used them first, Just that i didnt see them used till after i used them, then poof other people with similar names. An example was all the legolas's in Everquest. No i didnt use or come up with that name....-.- Just using that as an example.)
#24 Posted by Maroxad (15229 posts) -

I have a long set of names, basicly my default name for mmos is either Abrielg, Avellion or Maroxad. Though, I tend to use others as well. Dont really see them much as names though as I see them as labels.

In GW2 I did my best though to create non-lore friendly names, for the lulz.

#25 Posted by heytheredarlin (869 posts) -

-Unreal-

Like Frostitute or Worgenfreeman? Hilarious!:roll:

#26 Posted by yodude1026 (184 posts) -
i always use the same name for everything
#27 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

I am uncreative and i hate naming things. So i name it Edins [Character Class] ex: Edins Warrior

#28 Posted by SovietsUnited (2457 posts) -

I usually try to take a name from a char from a different game. If all are taken I usually go with KillForGlory.

#29 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
None of your options fit, so no voting for me. I pick my names based on the char I make. For example, here are a few of my Guild Wars chars. Female Mesmer=Domina Trixxx Female Warrior with Sword=Razorblade Girl Ritualist (eyes are covered)=Blind Aggression Female Ranger=Jade Arrowhead Male Necro=Lord Dead Flesh Female fire Elem=Flames of Sorrow
#31 Posted by SharkheadHD (227 posts) -

You can also think of a genre of music, a food item, and combine them to make a unique name : )

#32 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5847 posts) -

I typically roll a female and pull a generic female name like Cassandra and add Amn to the end of it.

#33 Posted by kaskus (717 posts) -

i usually create names which i found to be funny..like boygeorge, imurmomma..somthing like catchy names

#34 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

I usually get the names from the nordic mithology or the Warhammer 40k lore, in order to assure the most badassery per letter :p

#35 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

-Unreal-
I had to change my monk's name after a three day ban. Her name was Ivana Fuqalot.
#36 Posted by 8BitKila (25 posts) -
I usually pick a name based off the class or appearance of the character, then for all subsequent characters I'll pick a name loosely based off the main one so people recognize me. Eg. I make a rogue named Shadowglow, then roll a druid named Glowstix, then make a mage called Glowbrite or something, etc etc