how do i set ram voltage and timing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fastSVTF
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts

my set up

amd athlon duo core x2 2.8 ghz 64bit

crucial ballistix tracer 2gb [2x 1gb sticks]

asrock a780gmh/128m [side port mem]

wondering how to use bios or amd over drive to do this??? I need to set timing and voltage. my sticks are 4 4 4 12 and 2.0v

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fastSVTF

ok i figured it out, but now how do I overclock and set my settings for the best performance?

Avatar image for Neo_revolution7
Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Neo_revolution7
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

ok i figured it out, but now how do I overclock and set my settings for the best performance?

fastSVTF

well for one u suggest reading a guide on how to oc get Core te,p or real temp and prime 95 and stress your pc to see if your ram and cpu are stable at the settings u have them at.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fastSVTF

im using comp z

i overclocked it 30% in my bios with the asrocks easy overclock

my stats now are

amd athlon II X2 240

regor 13

socket am3 [938]

tech 45nm core voltage 1.488

family F model 6 stepping 2

ext family 10 ext model 6 revision da-c2

core speed 3640mhz

multiplier x 14.0

bus speed 260mhz

ht link 2080mhz

cache--

l1 2x64 2way

l1 inst 2x64 2 way

l2 2x1024 16way

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

Hopefully you are keeping an eye on those temps. You're pretty high on the Vcore. If you are on stock cooling and your temps are +60, I would recommend taking that overclock off!

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Neo_revolution7

what are your temps?

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fastSVTF

I just ran prime95

it ran 3 tests in 7 minutes. I was running programs while it was running, and loading amd overdrive. highest temp was 28c

when tests were over it went to 22, then to 19c

is this good? can i crank it up more?

3500mhz 1.4 vid @ idle

17.9@ idle

nbspeed 2000mhz

voltage 1.4

core multiplier 14x

ht ref clock 250

am i looking good?

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fastSVTF

ran torture test along side core temp, low was 17c high was 29c

this is while running utorrent, music, task manager and the torture test

this is on air cooled also. my computer is really really fast

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fastSVTF

bump this is exciting

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

bump this is exciting

fastSVTF

lol..better be careful before that excitement turns into tragedy. I'd hate for you to fry your CPU thinking that everythings fine.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

Hopefully you are keeping an eye on those temps. You're pretty high on the Vcore. If you are on stock cooling and your temps are +60, I would recommend taking that overclock off!

Luminouslight

I agree. 1.488V is what I would expect with a 3.8-4.0GHz chip.

To OP: what you can do to lower the Vcore is manually setting the multiplier, bus speed, and HT link speed to what you posted above and slowly lower the Vcore until it's as low as possible while passing 24 hours of Prime 95.

To illustrate, set the multiplier to x14, bus speed to 260MHz, and HT link speed to 2000MHz and incrementally lower the Vcore until it fails Prime 95. When it does, increase it till it is able to pass Prime 95 (small fft's) for 12-24 hours.

And yes, you can probably push your chip further if you want to:

Set the voltage to what you deem the maximum safe amount (AMD specs the Athlon II 240's maximum safe voltage for long term use as 1.425V. I wouldn't suggest going above this) and incrementally increase the bus speed until it fails Prime 95. When it does, back off a little bit and find the maximum bus speed possible before failing P95.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fastSVTF

im not running what i originally posted. im running at 3500mhz. i had a bsod for page data non area or something, so i put to 3.5ghz. is above 60f bad? or were you saying 60c?

right now im running back at 2.9ghz [stock] and waiting to hear some ideas on how i can tweak my settings for long life. i plan on getting 4gb ram in the future, but 2 gig is good for now. i was able to boot bios @ 4GHZ! and run windows at 3850 or 3900

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Luminouslight

I meant 60C. What are you using to cool it? Because 28C (that's pretty much ambient) is pretty damn cold.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fastSVTF

i have the fan that came with the case, its on the front panel. then I have the fan from the power supply [dont know if that counts or not]

then I just have one more 120mm fan blowing out the back.

its an nxzt case with spots for 5 fans, plus one more fan [front panel] so 6 spots total. not counting the psu.

id really like to add more fans, i have some that are not being used. they are 3 pin fans, and i dont have anymore 3 pin spots on the mobo. I was going to cut the 4 pin connector on the PSU but dont know how to.

so as long as my temps are okay, everything should be safe right????

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Luminouslight
The thing is that I don't believe those temps are accurate... I doubt any CPU would be that cool after any decent overclock on a stock cooler.
fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fastSVTF

do you want me to print screen and post some pics?

TheDuffman26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheDuffman26
Member since 2006 • 1346 Posts
The thing is that I don't believe those temps are accurate... I doubt any CPU would be that cool after any decent overclock on a stock cooler.Luminouslight
Maybe he's outside. It is winter after all
fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fastSVTF

hahahah no. im inside. we have the heat at 70 degrees

here is a shot of my coretemp64, cpu Z

my temps seem to stay around 21c when im just doing normal stuff like browsing etc.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MaoTheChimp

hahahah no. im inside. we have the heat at 70 degrees

here is a shot of my coretemp64, cpu Z

my temps seem to stay around 21c when im just doing normal stuff like browsing etc.

fastSVTF

Having a below ambient idle or load temperature isn't feasable without some form of heat pump or evaporative cooling; your temp sensor is probably damaged (or badly calibrated) if it's giving you those readings.

I've heard from second-hand rumor that core temp gives bad or inaccurate readings under certain circumstances. You could try running HWmonitor or Everest and see if those gove better temps.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fastSVTF

this is what HWmonitor gave me

looks like the same temps?

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MaoTheChimp

this is what HWmonitor gave me

looks like the same temps?

fastSVTF

Looks like a bad sensor then :?

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fastSVTF

how do you think its the wrong temp? or a bad sensor? my house is a little cold 69-70 degrees. right now after computer has been on for over an hour and im using more and more programs its still sitting around 22-23 deg

23 deg playing music, surfing the web, downloading using utorrent, having avast on, my video's smart doctor on ..etc.

23 deg is 74 deg F. so you're telling me that my house being 69-70F my computer cant be at 74deg?

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MaoTheChimp

how do you think its the wrong temp? or a bad sensor? my house is a little cold 69-70 degrees. right now after computer has been on for over an hour and im using more and more programs its still sitting around 22-23 deg

23 deg playing music, surfing the web, downloading using utorrent, having avast on, my video's smart doctor on ..etc.

23 deg is 74 deg F. so you're telling me that my house being 69-70F my computer cant be at 74deg?

fastSVTF

Your chip is oveclocked over 20% with the voltage punched up on a stock cooler, so I can pretty much say with certainty that the temp reading is off.

To put it into comparison, Realtemp's documentation stated that an underclocked C2 processor running at a specified 1.1V will have an average rise over ambient core temperature of 5C with a top-of-the-line air cooler, and 10C with the Intel stock cooler. Your processor somehow manages to keep a 3C rise over ambient temperature with an overclocked and overvoltaged processor using the stock cooler. That sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

Also note that increasing the frequency increases the heat output linearly, while increasing the voltage increases heat output exponentially. So unless you have AMD's special heatsink made out of kryptonite (Superman beware!), I have a funny feeling that the temperature reading is off.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fastSVTF

well my case is pretty open. mesh vents all over, huge holes all over the case..etc

so im not running it at 3.8ghz anymore, its running @ 3.5 now. and the temperature have lowered alot about 10 deg.

it says core voltage is 1.4

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fastSVTF

is there a way to test if its a bad sensor? because when i lower my overclocking the temperature changes. it lowers in relation to the setting i use

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
mm RealTemp has a test sensor button :P but i dunno how that works.. if that's really your temps. i'm amazed.. I'd OC to 4.0Ghz if I didn't have to pay for electricity bills :o XP
fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fastSVTF

maothechimp, intels always run hotter than amds.

also, now I have installed my other fans. I just hooked red to red, yellows to yellow, and black to black, but left 1 black from the power suppy, not used. I have

1 fan on the front of the case[sucking in]

2 fans on the side of the case [out]

1 on the rear [out]

( 2 on the rear if you count the PSU)

1 on the top [out]

hows my build sound so far?

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MaoTheChimp

maothechimp, intels always run hotter than amds.

fastSVTF

Yeah dude, but your chip is pumping more heat than my E8400, and my E8400 doesn't have the ridiculous temperatures you have when at stock settings, and this is with a GTZ, 700GPH pump, and 120mmx2 radiator.

Not only that, but your idle temperature is somehow below ambient :?

On a side note, I can't help but find it funny that when the reported temperature is too low, people will likely believe it, yet when the sensor is reporting the temperatures as too high, they immediately find fault with it.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MaoTheChimp

mm RealTemp has a test sensor button :P but i dunno how that works.. if that's really your temps. i'm amazed.. I'd OC to 4.0Ghz if I didn't have to pay for electricity bills :o XPexpanded

Realtemp unfortunately doesn't work with AMD processors.

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="expanded"]mm RealTemp has a test sensor button :P but i dunno how that works.. if that's really your temps. i'm amazed.. I'd OC to 4.0Ghz if I didn't have to pay for electricity bills :o XPMaoTheChimp

oh :( didn't know that.. that's poop.. mmmm.. electrothermometer? :P ?
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MaoTheChimp

[QUOTE="MaoTheChimp"]

[QUOTE="expanded"]mm RealTemp has a test sensor button :P but i dunno how that works.. if that's really your temps. i'm amazed.. I'd OC to 4.0Ghz if I didn't have to pay for electricity bills :o XPexpanded

oh :( didn't know that.. that's poop.. mmmm.. electrothermometer? :P ?

I believe this would be good for reading CPU temps:

It has nice big numbers! :)

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fastSVTF

what temps should i be looking at?? you keep saying about these ambient temps... i never posted them. i just posted the core temps. if you look at the pictures I posted on the 1st page, youll be able to sell all the different temps.

the core temp

or the systin, cputin, and auxtin?

did the hwmonitor picture show up on the 1st page??? cause my temp @ idle @ 2.9ghz is 89F for the cputin

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Neo_revolution7

what temps should i be looking at?? you keep saying about these ambient temps... i never posted them. i just posted the core temps. if you look at the pictures I posted on the 1st page, youll be able to sell all the different temps.

the core temp

did the hwmonitor picture show up on the 1st page??? cause my temp @ idle @ 2.9ghz is 89F for the cputin

fastSVTF

look dude what he is saying is your cpu has a bad sensor on it, Being that as it may u may be gradually dmging your cpu without you knowing with the clock u have on it with stock cooling your most likly either in th 40's or 50's just on idle but thats just an educated guess. So my adivese to you is look around at some guides on how to check your sensors if i knew how to i would which gives me the great idea to look and research myself, but anyways i suggest lower clock and voltage just to be safe.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Luminouslight

The temps should be looking somewhat like this, maybe even a bit higher considering this person is using an aftermarket cooler.

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fastSVTF

[QUOTE="fastSVTF"]

the core temp

Neo_revolution7

look dude what he is saying is your cpu has a bad sensor on it, Being that as it may u may be gradually dmging your cpu without you knowing with the clock u have on it with stock cooling your most likly either in th 40's or 50's just on idle but thats just an educated guess. So my adivese to you is look around at some guides on how to check your sensors if i knew how to i would which gives me the great idea to look and research myself, but anyways i suggest lower clock and voltage just to be safe.

I have 4 exhaust fans [5 with PSU] and 1 intake. Would tha be considered aftermarket? I have no idea how to check my sensors. I cant find anything on google

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Neo_revolution7

[QUOTE="Neo_revolution7"]

[QUOTE="fastSVTF"]

the core temp

fastSVTF

I have 4 exhaust fans [5 with PSU] and 1 intake. Would tha be considered aftermarket? I have no idea how to check my sensors. I cant find anything on google

thats fine but what heatsink are you using stock or aftermarket?

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fastSVTF

stock heatsink. i do have some of that aftermarket thermal paste stuff. its like artic 5 or something.. havent used it yet tho

fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fastSVTF

bump

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Neo_revolution7

i recommend getting an aftermarket cooler then.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Yeah dude you are probably somewhere around 50C or more thats for sure, all the fans you are talking about do not matter that much the most important thing is the CPU cooler itself. In my previous rig i had a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for my CPU cooler and i never even came close to those kind of temps with only 400mhz OC for my E8400. You have a bad sensor, look for guides on google. Also stop talking about your fans they do not matter that much for CPU cooling except if you have one or couple installed on the CPU cooler it self.

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

Yeah man, it's great that you are getting into overclocking and know how to do it...but those temps are so far off. The athlon II can keep cool, as I've seen em stay around 28c on stock easy, but getting an overclock that high with temps lower than that is just impossible, especially when you have the retail heatsink. Be careful, you really could blow out your CPU if you get it too hot.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Yeah dude you are probably somewhere around 50C or more thats for sure, all the fans you are talking about do not matter that much the most important thing is the CPU cooler itself. In my previous rig i had a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for my CPU cooler and i never even came close to those kind of temps with only 400mhz OC for my E8400. You have a bad sensor, look for guides on google. Also stop talking about your fans they do not matter that much for CPU cooling except if you have one or couple installed on the CPU cooler it self.

telefanatic
A good tower and good cooling certainly help, but in the end (just like telefanatic said and others before) there is something wrong with your sensor. I had a cruddy tower and poor cooling (until last weekend when I swapped everything to a nice new case) and my Phenom II x4 940 at stock temps (with my aftermarket cooler) was at an idle temp of around 32C. When under load it would hit about 50C. I have my CPU overclocked to 3.45 and the temps idle around 36C and under load hit 59C. My new tower and extra fans help keep those temps down a good 6C with my overclock. So good cooling helps, but in the end I wouldn't be overclocking like I am with a stock cooler.
fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fastSVTF

so what kind of aftermarket cooler should I get?

and I have been searching and searching and still cant find any info on these sensors.

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Neo_revolution7

so what kind of aftermarket cooler should I get?

and I have been searching and searching and still cant find any info on these sensors.

fastSVTF

Depends on your budget honestly

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Luminouslight
You don't need anything too heavy for that processor, a decent $30 will easily do it and then some.
fastSVTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fastSVTF

do you reccommend any brands? or do i just search for amd duo cooler? im still a noob :) not for long though.

also i have found tons of stuff that test sensors for intel processors but none for amd. pretty frustrating

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Neo_revolution7

do you reccommend any brands? or do i just search for amd duo cooler? im still a noob :) not for long though.

also i have found tons of stuff that test sensors for intel processors but none for amd. pretty frustrating

fastSVTF

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Artic+Cooler&x=0&y=0

That should be good enough for you proc.