How do I remove gpu voltage limit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

I oced my r9 290 to 1150, this is the highest it will go without artifacting. It just needs more vcore. Is there anyway I can unlock the vcore limit? Vcore only goes upto +100 in MSi Ab. Temperature stays under 78c with custom fan profile. Its really loud though, louder than any pther reference card. Is there any custom cooling solution that will work with this card? Or should I just crossfire them? I just need a little bit more power.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I put on this Arctic Cooler on my GTX 560 TI. It says, it's compatible with R9 290/290x but it looks like, it's sold out. Click on the "Similar Items" and see what kind of newer custom GPU coolers they have available or look around the web.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Wait, are you overclocking with the STOCK cooler on an R290x? If you are you're out of your fucking mind. That card already runs hotter than hell under load. Why in god's name would you try and put more voltage through it without a different cooling solution?

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

@airshocker said:

Wait, are you overclocking with the STOCK cooler on an R290x? If you are you're out of your fucking mind. That card already runs hotter than hell under load. Why in god's name would you try and put more voltage through it without a different cooling solution?

This. OP you trying to invent the first silicon skillet?

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alienware_fan

@airshocker said:

Yeah on auto fan speed it does, reviews aren't enough sometimes for what you are talking about.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

I don't even believe you have a r9 290. Nice try though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Yeah on auto fan speed it does, reviews aren't enough sometimes for what you are talking about.

Now I don't believe you.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alienware_fan

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Now I don't believe you.

lol SHOWS PEOPLES KNOWLEDGE AT GAMESPOT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Now I don't believe you.

There have been COUNTLESS reviews talking about how hot the thing runs at load. Putting more voltage through something that already runs dangerously close to 80c is a TERRIBLE idea. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Okay as someone that actually owns an r9 290 (I can take a picture if you like) I will offer my experiences in this situation.

Overclocking a 290 (or X) is not like overclocking a normal gpu. You overclock it in the sense that it allows the gpu to potentially reach the specified clock speeds. Now you set the temperature threshold. Essentially if it hits that temperature it will start lowering the clocks to keep it at or below that temperature (95C is the max in AMD's OC program though you may be able to alter this via other programs). You also set a max fan speed (mine is at 65% borderline of annoying and liveable with noise for me at least). The higher the max fan speed the higher your clocks (or longer it can sustain the clocks) can go.

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Now I don't believe you.

There have been COUNTLESS reviews talking about how hot the thing runs at load. Putting more voltage through something that already runs dangerously close to 80c is a TERRIBLE idea. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

Its not "dangerously close" to run at 80C as they can run perfectly fine (according to AMD) at 95C. Second he is asking about different cooling solutions so why the **** would it be a problem. That's like saying you want to raise the v-core and overclock an i(insert number here) on a stock intel cooler.

Now to actually answer the OP's question instead of attacking whether he has the card or not.

I am unaware at this point in time if you can alter the V-core, however, Artics Cooling solution to my knowledge does not properly cool the GDDR5 on the card. I would suggest going for one of the water cooling blocks they have out for it (research that bit on your own as I haven't really looked into watercooling my new rig yet).

But honestly if I were you, crossfire is a better solution, especially since these cards no longer need the bridges which I think is kinda neat. The cards can be loud, but if you don't have to run them as fast you can get the desired performance at running relatively low fan speeds. Also non-reference coolers are going to roll-out soon with a lot of companies having already shown their non-ref designs (sapphire and Asus have and there is one more I am forgetting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@IvanElk said:

Okay as someone that actually owns an r9 290 (I can take a picture if you like) I will offer my experiences in this situation.

Overclocking a 290 (or X) is not like overclocking a normal gpu. You overclock it in the sense that it allows the gpu to potentially reach the specified clock speeds. Now you set the temperature threshold. Essentially if it hits that temperature it will start lowering the clocks to keep it at or below that temperature (95C is the max in AMD's OC program though you may be able to alter this via other programs). You also set a max fan speed (mine is at 65% borderline of annoying and liveable with noise for me at least). The higher the max fan speed the higher your clocks (or longer it can sustain the clocks) can go.

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Now I don't believe you.

Its not "dangerously close" to run at 80C as they can run perfectly fine (according to AMD) at 95C. Second he is asking about different cooling solutions so why the **** would it be a problem. That's like saying you want to raise the v-core and overclock an i(insert number here) on a stock intel cooler.

Now to actually answer the OP's question instead of attacking whether he has the card or not.

I am unaware at this point in time if you can alter the V-core, however, Artics Cooling solution to my knowledge does not properly cool the GDDR5 on the card. I would suggest going for one of the water cooling blocks they have out for it (research that bit on your own as I haven't really looked into watercooling my new rig yet).

But honestly if I were you, crossfire is a better solution, especially since these cards no longer need the bridges which I think is kinda neat. The cards can be loud, but if you don't have to run them as fast you can get the desired performance at running relatively low fan speeds. Also non-reference coolers are going to roll-out soon with a lot of companies having already shown their non-ref designs (sapphire and Asus have and there is one more I am forgetting.

I'm questioning the general credibility of the OP for good reason. When he stops coming off as a troll, I'll stop treating him like one.

skinntech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skinntech
Member since 2005 • 415 Posts

@Alienware_fan said:

I oced my r9 290 to 1150, this is the highest it will go without artifacting. It just needs more vcore. Is there anyway I can unlock the vcore limit? Vcore only goes upto +100 in MSi Ab. Temperature stays under 78c with custom fan profile. Its really loud though, louder than any pther reference card. Is there any custom cooling solution that will work with this card? Or should I just crossfire them? I just need a little bit more power.

to overvolt you can use afterburner from msi, the latest beta added core voltage control. To unlock voltage control, your going to have to change some parameters in the config file. http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/download_msi_afterburner_3_beta_17.html

At the bottom of the comments on that page are the changes you might have to make in the config files. As for cooling, the stock is ok as long as you don't mind the noise. Also there is no guarantee that you'll get to 1200 on the core; to be honest 1150 is really damn good for stock voltages. It sounds like you have a really good piece of silicon, but pushing 1200-1300 is really going to take a water block. Even then no guarantees, you might just hit a wall at 1175 or 1200. Before you decide on crossfire or any multi gpu solution read the fixed section for the drivers for the past 5 driver versions. I say this because, the majority of driver fixes are for multi gpu and if the " we fixed x, y, and z" don't bother you or scare you off then go for it. Just remember that multiple gpu configs are always going to be more problematic and might not always yield the performance gains as advertised.

edit: airshocker and alot of people on this forum don't have a 290 or 290x and really don't know anything about the card or it's workings I would go to http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739529. This thread is for owners of the 290/290x cards, it has tons of factual tested info on how to work with the cards. This thread and forum is your best bet on getting the most out of, what I consider a fantastic card, that 290.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@airshocker said:

@IvanElk said:

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

@Alienware_fan said:

@airshocker said:

Now I don't believe you.

I'm questioning the general credibility of the OP for good reason. When he stops coming off as a troll, I'll stop treating him like one.

No your not, your talking shit, out of your ass.

In the OP he asked about different cooling solutions.

You attacked him for OCing it without one which by the way I am doing currently big fucking deal? I must not own an 290 and be lying amirite?

He specifically stated even though he had it running at 78C that he wanted a better cooling solution to push it further.

Please, you know nothing about r9's you read reviews and watched linus on youtube talk about it. Maybe watched it maxed out at 100% fan speed for the hell of it. You do not know anything about overclocking one. Therefore what the hell are you contributing to this thread. "Questioning the credibility of the OP" Please go learn some fucking respect. The guy asked a question. Wasn't bragging, was asking a question. You offered no insight in this situation yet still, STILL posted. At least if your going to post your opinion on a thread asking for advice on something you know nothing about could you please read the fucking original post.

Edit: To the OP, my best advice I give you is what the poster before me said, go to OCers, great forum for information on a topic like this.