How do I delay an LCD leak?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Burnchild_Ren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Burnchild_Ren
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

Do you guys know of any methods of delaying an LCD leak?

Due to an event I am unwilling to discuss, my SyncMaster 920BM LCD has a big crack on it's surface. While the crack isn't too bothersome per say, as it is mostly transpadrent and does not impair the visibility of the display, there are several small black "stains" around the crack which expand at a slow rate. I do believe that these black spots are liquid crystal leaks of some form.
Now, before you say anything on the subject, yes, I am going to buy a new screen eventually, but I WOULD like to drag this screen's usable lifespan out, if just for a bit.
I know one way to delay the black stain's spread, and that is taking a piece of cloth and applying intermediate pressure around the black spot and rubbing it in a circular motion. This shrinks the black spot. However, later on, the black spot will start to expand again, prompting me to repeat the above procedure. I'm not sure, however, if this encourages the emergance of more black stains or not.
I also tried to disassemble my screen; I removed a few screws, gently opened the frame, and the various layers of the LCD were completely inaccessible due to several welded points around the area, which meant that I couldn't bend the cracked shards of the upper screen layer upwards to stop them from applying pressure on the liquid crystal layer. Whoever produced this screen was a total tosspot, to say the least. No potential for maintenance.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#2 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Nothing you can do about it, as those leaks are on the inside.