How did you do on your first pc build?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Fry anything? Or did it work out well? I forgot to use the screws to separate the mobo and the case and unfortunately, it did not end well. That is one lesson I will never forget lol, I always make sure to stick in those in before I do anything now!

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
Was great. Only I forgot to connect the CPU power cable ;D
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i broke the fansink on my first ever cpu installation :P.. not too smooth...

after that incident i had another time much further into the future where i unintentionally put my hd 2400pro in the wrong slot (lord knows how but i did it)

and spent the next half hour or so.. slowly wiggling it out :P i thank the ati gods.. wherever they are that it didnt bust or break those hd 2000 seires card may have been a market flop but they could take ALOT of punishment. built like an ak47 :P

duderino_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 duderino_23
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts

I guess I was lucky, the only prob i had was that the floppy drive didn't work. After fiddling with it for hours i swapped the power lead around and despite it not being the way it was indicated on by the diagram, it worked.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

One guy i knew before did press wrong memory type in a Ram slot, he broke the motherboard in two because it didn't fit very well. :lol: All parts were brand new and fairly highend at the time.

Not the first time build but some building missfourtune.

I've forgot to conect the ATX motherboard 20 pin to the MB, couldn't find out why it didn't start.

Once i didn't conect the pwr/resset to the motherboard, took me quite some time to figure it out since i was a whole day overdue for sleep. :lol:

Obiwan317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Obiwan317
Member since 2008 • 233 Posts

I just fried my motherboard.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts
fine. im a lazy sod when it comes to tidying cables. i just lump all of the unused ones into the spare space in the disc drive caddy and make sure nothing is close to a fan. but they work. the only bit i find annoying is connecting the pwr and reset etc cables for the case. i wish that was more standerdised...just 1 plug you plonk into your mobo. its not a huge deal but its fiddily. but the PC works fine. thats the main thing.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

the only bit i find annoying is connecting the pwr and reset etc cables for the case.osan0

That's what got me on my first build. The notation used by the case for its cables didn't match the notation of the motherboard. So it was the 2nd time around before it was up and running properly.

On my last changeover I just kept everything plugged into the little adapter that came with that motherboard (Different case, different motherboard to above) so no fiddling around. Although the notation on both case and motherboard matched, so it would have been all good.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My first PC build? Geeez. It's hard to recall stuff from 1992. I did good. The only thing I had to redo were the little wires for the Power and Reset switches. AMD 386DX-40. Plus, I had to buy a separate 80387 math coprocessor and a bunch of memory cache DRAM ships.

The Pentium was the next build with some weirdness to it. I had to buy a stick of pipeline burst cache memory and make sure I didn't confiuse it with regular RAM sticks.

Ahh yes. My first PC build..... taken back in 1993 complete with 14" Packard Hell CRT monitor. I was still single then.

AMD 386DX-40 with 80387 math coprocessor

640k RAM + 256k memory cache...or maybe that was 64k cache. Can't remember anymore.

Paradise ISA graphics

52mb IDE hard drive

Sound Blaster Pro sound card

1x CD-ROM

1.2mb 5.25" floppy drive

1.44mb 3.5" floppy drive

56kbd modem

MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11

I used a boombox with audio in for speakers

Gravis joystick. Even then joysticks were standard equipment for flight sims.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Built my first rig in my sig (PSU and GPU I had before, but those are the easy parts to install, so.... :P). Everything was perfect.

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

I accidentally put the floppy drive power connector into a fan connector on the motherboard. (the 4-pin fan connectors looked the same). Took the plug out and it worked just fine.

bluemustang16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bluemustang16
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

Fine aside from a loose PCI-E slot on the mobo. Kinda freaked me out the first time I heard the beeps and got no video signal though ;)

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I've never damaged anything during the build phase but I have killed a couple CPU's/motherboards while overclocking. Now I did break a PCI-e release pin off a Mac Pro not to long ago swapping a fried videcard out with a replacement. Forgot Apple puts the boards upside down so you have to push up instead of down and it snapped right off luckily they come with 2 slots so all was not lost.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i'm using it now. it went pretty well, except my case (cm 690) has to have the psu mounted on the bottom, and the 4 pin power cable couldn't reach, so i had to cut the 4 wires and extend them myself. messy looking job, but it worked

awesomejdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 awesomejdude
Member since 2008 • 4811 Posts

I took a class where we built a rig a while back. I couldn't get the stupid heatsink in right. :x

Roggirek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Roggirek
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

I took a class where we built a rig a while back. I couldn't get the stupid heatsink in right. :x

awesomejdude
Grrr stupid P2 x4 955 stock heatsink.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="awesomejdude"]

Roggirek

Is it similar to the P2 X3 720BE? That one was a breeze to me.

You want a hard HSF to install try the older Athlon XP's with the Socket A's. Now THAT was a pain.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Phenom II stock HSF are horrendous. At load, around 55C, my fan goes up to 5700 RPM and it's like a blow dryer on high. I'm really looking to getting an Artic Cooling Freezer 64...

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

pretty good. processor went together much better than I expected.

the heatsink/fan was a whole lot of hell though. AND I had problems getting the 5.25'' bay cover off, which at the time, I acknowledged as 'this is really pathetic on my part'

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="awesomejdude"]

Roggirek

well then, I'm not the only one.

I have the exact same processor. trying to move the heatsink lock lever over....you just swear you're going to push that processor through the socket and mobo.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I put it all together, plugged it in, pressed the on button, and nothing happened. Weeks of saving and hours of building the systems and I couldnt even turn it on. Then I realised it didnt swith the PSU on. After that everything was hunky dory.
NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

I took my time and everything went great, booted up sweet first attempt.

I've built 6 others since, for friends and myself.

The only problem I've had was one faulty graphics card (fan didn't work) which was replaced by Micro Direct on the spot.

Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts

mine went perfectly :)

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

I never built one from the bottom up, but I've had to replace and upgrade so many parts on this computer that you could say that I might've built it myself. Since I got it, I've upgraded the RAM, replaced a video card (now running Crossfire), upgraded the PSU, replaced a hard drive, upgraded the CPU's HSF, and upgraded to a new case, all of which more or less went without a hitch (i.e. no sparks or flames). I guess you could say that lurking this forum and OCN has helped me quite a bit with all this.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

When I turned on the computer for the first time, the fans started and the lights came on. However, there was no display. I had forgotten to plug the power connector into the CPU socket. It's a good thing that it wasn't the type of mistake that could lead to damage. Once I turned everything back off and plugged it in, I turned it back on. Everything worked perfectly.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

My first build went fine, I just did a lot of research beforehand and took my sweet time building it (4 hours or something) :)