Horror games on PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IronSalamander
Member since 2008 • 496 Posts

Hey guys im really looking for a horror game for the PC.

I dont want Silent Hill or RE, cuz IMO those are better suited for consoles.

IF there are any others, please suggest them. thanks

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
System Shock 2... will make Silent Hill and Resident Evil feel like a carnival.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Penumbra. look it up, if you want scary, thats it. no attacking or guns or anything, just pure frightening survival.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts
Yes, System Shock 2 definitely... and Penumbra Overture & Black Plague.
cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

Aliens vs Predator 2, System Shock 2

Also, keep an eye on Left 4 Dead, which is due out in a few months.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
Doom 3 was pretty scary IMO, im going to deffinatly check out Syestem shock 2 though
IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IronSalamander

Isnt System Shock 2 just a FPS and RPG mixed? I mean, its the predacessor(sp) to Bioshock, isnt it?

What makes it scary? I read over the review a bit, nothing was said about "horror"

yodaphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 yodaphantom
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts

Try Silent hill never been on it but people say you get a good bit of horror out of it though

IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IronSalamander

Try Silent hill never been on it but people say you get a good bit of horror out of it though

yodaphantom

:|

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="yodaphantom"]

IronSalamander

:|

=S
cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cmdrmonkey

Isnt System Shock 2 just a FPS and RPG mixed? I mean, its the predacessor(sp) to Bioshock, isnt it?

What makes it scary? I read over the review a bit, nothing was said about "horror"

IronSalamander

You face off against zombies on a derelict starship with some really crappy weapons that tend to break or jam, and you have virtually no ammo, so you often have to fight hand to hand. On top of that, the zombies are still semi-human, so they say disturbing things like "I'm sorry" when they're about to kill you. You see ghosts of the dead crew as you wander the halls. There's also a malevolent computer AI that's manipulating you into doing her bidding, and she's pretty disturbing in her own way. If zombies scare you, System Shock 2 will scare the crap out of you.

IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IronSalamander
[QUOTE="IronSalamander"]

cmdrmonkey

You face off against zombies on a derelict starship with some really crappy weapons that tend to break or jam, and you have virtually no ammo, so you often have to fight hand to hand. On top of that, the zombies are still semi-human, so they say disturbing things like "I'm sorry" when they're about to kill you. There's also a malevolent computer AI that's manipulating you into doing her bidding. If zombies scare you, System Shock 2 will scare the crap out of you.

Oh...well, idk if its exactly what im looking for, but I will def check it out because its gotten such good praise in the first place. thanks for the suggestion.

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cmdrmonkey

Trust me, it's a very frightening and disturbing game if that's what you're looking for...

And SHODAN is pure evil and possibly the best villain in any game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thief 1-3
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

Check out Clive Barker's Undying. I can't even play it--I'm a wimp when it comes to scary games.

For not always "scary" but still falls under the horror category--Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It's a great game. There are at least three areas in the game that are scary: a haunted hotel with scripted flying furniture, flickering lights, ghosts, etc.; a "flesh" house with nasty slashy jumping things; and a disturbing mansion with crazy people and architecture. May not be as blood-curdling as Undying, but it's a very dark game.

MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrNacaa
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts
Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)
IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IronSalamander

Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)MrNacaa

haha nice. i'll prob pick it up tomorrow

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)MrNacaa

Prepare for nightmares.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="MrNacaa"]Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)aliblabla2007

Prepare for nightmares.

it's not that scary..fear was scarier.
Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts
If you have HL 2 and/or UT 2004 there are two excellent multiplayer horror mods to check out.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"]

[QUOTE="MrNacaa"]Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)Nibroc420

Prepare for nightmares.

Which parts of F.E.A.R were scary, again? Would you perhaps be referring to the parts where a character who clearly has no intention of injuring you (which is established early on) jumps out of the shadows at you in predictable ways? That is not fear, that is shock - the cheapest and weakest and least effective, and naturally most used, horror device.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="aliblabla2007"]

[QUOTE="MrNacaa"]Due to you guys im now leaving for my gameshop to pick up System Shock 2 :)fatshodan

Prepare for nightmares.

Which parts of F.E.A.R were scary, again? Would you perhaps be referring to the parts where a character who clearly has no intention of injuring you (which is established early on) jumps out of the shadows at you in predictable ways? That is not fear, that is shock - the cheapest and weakest and least effective, and naturally most used, horror device.

well, i found fear to be very....fearful
But pixel zombies are far from scary.
dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#23 dark_being
Member since 2004 • 3804 Posts

Lets see, PC horror games:

FEAR, The Suffering 1+2, Condemned, Cold Fear, Obscure 1+2, Penumbra 1+2, The Thing, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Scratches (Adventure game), Sanitarium (Adventure game) and Martian Gothic.

Here you go, 14 horror games on the PC.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

well, i found fear to be very....fearfulNibroc420

I can appreciate that - like any emotion, fear is subjective. Different people find different things scary, but the idea of fear is rooted in our sense of self-preservation... if we don't feel threatened, we won't feel afraid (case in point - try playing a game in god mode), and the only real fear device in F.E.A.R is alma jumping out at you.

While that may shock you, it doesn't really approach an actual sense of fear - especially as it's established that Alma means you no harm. The sense of experiencing harm is almost entirely removed from the horror side of the game. The closest I can really see F.E.A.R getting on a scale of actual fear is a high level of anxiety in anticipation of an upcoming shock, and I personally think that when people describe games like F.E.A.R as being scary, they're misinterpreting the meaning.

But pixel zombies are far from scary.
Nibroc420

System Shock 2's horror is not really about what the enemies look like, it's about the hostile atmosphere created and the kind of psychological effect that can have on an individual. For instance, the hybrids will beg you to kill them or scream at you to run away - a clear sign that something of the host has survived, and one can only imagine the horrors they have witnessed themselves commit. Or the corpse slumped in a corner, surrounded by empty beer bottles with a gun in hand and a blood splatter on the wall behind - the character clearly drank himself numb and then killed himself rather than face the horrors.

There are also lesser elements like random respawns meaning a player will often be on edge, unsure if he is safe, and limited resources which quite literally represent the player's ability to survive.

These elements all assault the mental state of the player and, while it clearly depends on the player, can leave some people (like me) a nervous wreck after playing, while games that rely on simple shocks like F.E.A.R have 'horror' sequences that many people (like me) can shrug off as minor annoyances.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Check out Clive Barker's Undying.

jedinat
Absolutely correct. I'm a horror movie fan, a conspiracy theorist and a metalhead. This game made me get up and turn on the lights. And it's not just scary, it's a pretty solid game as well. Graphics, gameplay and combat are all very well done. I played it recently, and it didn't feel dated at all. Definitely pick it up if you can find it.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts
KEep an eye on Cryostasis. Thats shaping up to be a pretty interesting survival horror
MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrNacaa
Seems like System Shock 2 wont run on my Vista computer? I keep on getting an error when trying to install it.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
System Shock 2.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Who agrees with me that he should get all the Thief games right this instant! Raise your hand!
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
Get System Shock 2 and get the graphics update from www.Sshock2.com and then play the game in the dark with the volume cranked. Such a great game, great music, great sound effects and voice acting, very atmospheric. You guys forget to mention the creepy monkeys in the game LOL. Gamespot is stupid for giving it such a low score yet it praises it as an alltime classic in later article..WTF??? I believe they only gave it an 8 when i should have been at least a 9.5 and yet they say its a classic.....Also watch out for Left 4 Dead looks very promising
foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
you know what game I really think was scary? Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, its was very scary until the frustration made me hate the game and i stopped being immersed in the atmosphere and it just became a very bad FPS, the checkpoints are so far from each other combined with punishing difficulty with a trial-and-error game mechanics. i mean after you try the same segment for 10 times you no longer scared, you are mad, and when you almost make it to the next save point and get caught/ severely injured/dead you just want to die in real life, and the thing that makes it worse is that the game had so much potential, the story was very interesting, the whole idea of being inside a H.P. Lovecraft story, running for you life is so good. :evil: damn them!
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts
Condemned!!!!!!
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
System Shock 2, Penumbra, Doom 3, FEAR (sorta).
snowmanman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 snowmanman7
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

Dead Space is coming in October. Anyone seen the Dead Space lullaby trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36332.html

Verrry creepy!:shock:

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Dead Space is coming in October. Anyone seen the Dead Space lullaby trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36332.html

Verrry creepy!:shock:

snowmanman7

I'm looking forward to dead space. There's not much hype for it on PC though. I have to go to the 360 forums to discuss it:x

IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IronSalamander

Seems like System Shock 2 wont run on my Vista computer? I keep on getting an error when trying to install it.MrNacaa

Dont they have patches for that type of thing?

Get System Shock 2 and get the graphics update from www.Sshock2.com and then play the game in the dark1q3er5

How big of a graphic update is it? Because honestly graphics dont matter that much to me...I mean, I love playing Morrowind over Oblivion, and Top Gear(SNES) over and NFS now-a-days. Or Computer wise, Quake 3 Arena pwns all. haha.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

Nibroc420

I found the combat in F.E.A.R. to be so much fun that I didn't have any time to be scared.

WhiteTigerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 WhiteTigerX
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

FEAR that is the only game that i couldnt play at night, lights off, home alone.

Jesus, i played all night System Shock, and Bioshock, and Silent Hill, resident evil is just crap.

but FEAR....

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420

FEAR that is the only game that i couldnt play at night, lights off, home alone.

Jesus, i played all night System Shock, and Bioshock, and Silent Hill, resident evil is just crap.

but FEAR....

WhiteTigerX

Same, but i think fatshodan hit the nail on the head. It's more the build up and the anxiety of what is to come.

although at no point did i find System Shock, Bioshock, Silent hill or resident evil scary. Although some of them have some creepy atmospheres.. nothing scary
IronSalamander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IronSalamander

Holy Freakin Crap.

System Shock 2 IS AMAZING. Why did I not get this earlier? I am only like 40 minutes in, all my stats are still basic, but man is it fun. And those zombies, damn them! Then make no noise untill they are about to freakin hit you! haha...

and those security cameras...damn you too.

thank you guys for suggestion this great title to me.

1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
Glad you like it. Gets better later on in the game :)
fethehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fethehl
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts
System Shock 2 isn't scary. Doom 3, FEAR,etc. scare me but SS2 doesn't. I only played a couple hours of it but apperantly the zombies were supposed to be really scary but they didn't do anything to me. They were interesting though when they talk. Good rpg/fps though.
MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrNacaa
Glad you like it Salamander. I have to try it on my older PC that has XP. Hopefully it wil be able to run it
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

Thief 1-3biggest_loser

What? come on BL, you are like an advertisement!

I am just about to play System SHock 2, so Ill see if its scary, also definately try Pnembra black plague, I played a half hour and it scares me just to turn it on.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

Seems like System Shock 2 wont run on my Vista computer? I keep on getting an error when trying to install it.MrNacaa

I got it to run fine, hmm.