Homeworld 3 announced

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#1 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

Homeworld is a classic PC RTS series with a lot of fans. So I thought I'd share this here.

I'm a bigger fan of Relic's COH series, but this news is still really exciting.

The bad news? It's slated for 2022.

We'll probably be flying in spaceships by then.

Avatar image for davillain-
#2 Posted by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

I dunno if it's actually crowdfunding like people are used to. Their funding goal was $1, and in the FAQ it mentions it had "solid funding." It looks like letting backers pay into the right to surveys and such to help them "understand the game" that fans want.

I don't like it, but it seems on the lesser side of being evil. 2 years huh, that's fine. We got time to spare.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#3 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -
@with_teeth26 said:

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

I only played Homeworld 1. I never finished it because i'm extremely bad at it. but I do like it

I might go back and finish it (or at least try) and then play HW2 before this come out since there are remasters

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

I am so excited for this. SO. FRACKING. EXCITED!

I just hope Gearbox doesn't hold it hostage via crowdfunding, like "Oh well we couldn't do what we wanted to do because we didn't get enough crowdfunding" or some nonsense.

On the bright side, Blackbird is making it, and they made the super incredible Deserts of Kharak prequel. So I am pumped.

Probably one of my all-time favorite gaming franchises ever.

And that teaser! Did everything in the Homeworld sense. Exhaust trails, the crackling of the ship communications, mysterious space derelicts, that sort of tribal music...sent shivers up my spine.

@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

I only played Homeworld 1. I never finished it because i'm extremely bad at it. but I do like it

No shame in that. The games were pretty challenging for their time. I myself only beat it through lots of trial and error.

I recommend checking the games out again. Also, GoG has Homeworld Emergence (formerly Homeworld Cataclysm) which was a standalone expansion that is better than Homeworld 2 and, arguably, almost as good as Homeworld 1. I highly recommend it.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

The first Homeworld was groundbreaking; RTS games have done 3D before with elevation and line of sight, but this was the first game to actually make a game play on three dimensions.

Not only that, but it was one of the last story-driven RTS games; most RTS games these days might as well be multiplayer-only given how little effort they put into singleplayer. I feel RTS games are such a good vehicle for telling stories, it's a shame not to do so.

Objectively speaking, Homeworld is a very important game in gaming history. It did quite literally everything right; gameplay, visuals, art direction, music and sound design, story. There is nothing wrong with the game. Nothing.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: exciting news indeed. I'm so happy the RTS genre is back in full swing. So many were predicting its death a few years ago. And AAA publishers were leaving the genre en masse. But now there are so many games in the genre to look forward to:

-Age of Empires IV

-Iron Harvest

-Homeworld 3

-Age of Empires II DE

-Warcraft III Remastered

-Soldiers Arena

-Gates of hell

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#8 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mrbojangles25: exciting news indeed. I'm so happy the RTS genre is back in full swing. So many were predicting its death a few years ago. And AAA publishers were leaving the genre en masse. But now there are so many games in the genre to look forward to:

-Age of Empires IV

-Iron Harvest

-Homeworld 3

-Age of Empires II DE

-Warcraft III Remastered

-Soldiers Arena

-Gates of hell

All I want now is some classic Westwood titles to come back--Dune and Generals, specifically--but sadly it looks like EA has all but killed off Westwood's IP's.

Would kill for another C&C Renegade, too, with strategy elements.

*Oh and another World in Conflict!

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

All I want now is some classic Westwood titles to come back--Dune and Generals, specifically--but sadly it looks like EA has all but killed off Westwood's IP's.

Would kill for another C&C Renegade, too, with strategy elements.

*Oh and another World in Conflict!

Lots of old IP are coming back, like a new Knights of Honor, who would've guessed?

We are getting another Desperados, which is another surprise.

No word on another WiC or Renegade though :(

EA are remaking the old C&C games along with the original devs, so could be good.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#10 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

All I want now is some classic Westwood titles to come back--Dune and Generals, specifically--but sadly it looks like EA has all but killed off Westwood's IP's.

Would kill for another C&C Renegade, too, with strategy elements.

*Oh and another World in Conflict!

Lots of old IP are coming back, like a new Knights of Honor, who would've guessed?

We are getting another Desperados, which is another surprise.

Nice. Westerns work surprisingly well with strategy. Desperados and then that other one (the supernatural tactics one, forgot what it's called...).

Were'nt we getting a new Commandos game, too? Can't remember.

@R4gn4r0k said:

EA are remaking the old C&C games along with the original devs, so could be good.

EA is working with Petroglyph?

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#11 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

All I want now is some classic Westwood titles to come back--Dune and Generals, specifically--but sadly it looks like EA has all but killed off Westwood's IP's.

Would kill for another C&C Renegade, too, with strategy elements.

*Oh and another World in Conflict!

Lots of old IP are coming back, like a new Knights of Honor, who would've guessed?

We are getting another Desperados, which is another surprise.

No word on another WiC or Renegade though :(

EA are remaking the old C&C games along with the original devs, so could be good.

sadly Massive Entertainment are stuck working on the Division games for Ubisoft so I doubt we'll see a sequel to that game ever.

I do enjoy the Division games but i'd much rather have them do a sequel for WiC. that game was so good and unique and had some of my favourite multiplayer ever. 16 players in a RTS/RTT with constant action, epic call-ins and great team work.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#12 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Loved deserts of Kharak, this is very exciting

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

I only played Homeworld 1. I never finished it because i'm extremely bad at it. but I do like it

No shame in that. The games were pretty challenging for their time. I myself only beat it through lots of trial and error.

I recommend checking the games out again. Also, GoG has Homeworld Emergence (formerly Homeworld Cataclysm) which was a standalone expansion that is better than Homeworld 2 and, arguably, almost as good as Homeworld 1. I highly recommend it.

Is there a storyline that continues from HW1 -> 2 -> Emergence?

the story was one of my favourite aspects of the first game so i'd like to see it through before the new one comes out if possible

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#13 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

..

...

...

Is there a storyline that continues from HW1 -> 2 -> Emergence?

the story was one of my favourite aspects of the first game so i'd like to see it through before the new one comes out if possible

The story is: Deserts of Kharak --> HW1 --> Emergence --> HW 2. It should be noted that Emergence (Cataclysm) was a spinoff, and not part of the whole "prequel, original, sequel" sequence of games, but it's still a great addition to the series. As I said earlier, better than HW 2 and almost as good as HW1.

Homeworld 1, the original story. Arguably the best.

Then Homeworld Cataclysm (Homeworld Emergence), which is a separate story that takes place after Homeworld 1, but before Homeworld 2. It's about a lesser clan that does mining but they stumble across an "ancient evil" yada yada yada. It's actually a really good story I just don't want to spoil it.

Homeworld 2 comes next, and sort of does the whole "...year later" thing with a new threat.

All stories are good. When you finish those, definitely check out Deserts of Kharak as it is the prequel and is all about the expedition to the crashed vessel that ultimately leads your people to their homeworld. You play as Karan S'jet's mom, Rachel S'jet!

Just great story telling, does that whole hand-drawn animated art, just watch the intro. The seamless cutscene-to-game-engine transition is simply stunning, great immersion.

Loading Video...

Here's the whole "movie" of the game if you don't care about spoilers.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#14 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

What do you think about the original 2 Homeworld games?

And yeah, I'm really glad Black Bird is working on this :)

I only played Homeworld 1. I never finished it because i'm extremely bad at it. but I do like it

No shame in that. The games were pretty challenging for their time. I myself only beat it through lots of trial and error.

I recommend checking the games out again. Also, GoG has Homeworld Emergence (formerly Homeworld Cataclysm) which was a standalone expansion that is better than Homeworld 2 and, arguably, almost as good as Homeworld 1. I highly recommend it.

Is there a storyline that continues from HW1 -> 2 -> Emergence?

the story was one of my favourite aspects of the first game so i'd like to see it through before the new one comes out if possible

The story is:

Homeworld 1, the original story. Arguably the best.

Then Homeworld Cataclysm (Homeworld Emergence), which is a separate story that takes place after Homeworld 1, but before Homeworld 2. It's about a lesser clan that does mining but they stumble across an "ancient evil" yada yada yada. It's actually a really good story I just don't want to spoil it.

Homeworld 2 comes next, and sort of does the whole "...year later" thing with a new threat.

All stories are good. When you finish those, definitely check out Deserts of Kharak as it is the prequel and is all about the expedition to the crashed vessel that ultimately leads your people to their homeworld. You play as Karan S'jet's mom, Rachel S'jet!

Just great story telling, does that whole hand-drawn animated art, just watch the intro. The seamless cutscene-to-game-engine transition is simply stunning, great immersion.

yea I played Deserts of Kharak already, it was awesome

thanks for the info

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: We are getting a remake of Commandos 2. It looks really promising so far.

Closest thing to a new Commandos is the stuff Mimimi is working on: Shadow Tactics and the new Desperados.

Already played a bit of Desperados III and I can attest it's really good :)

And yeah, Petroglyph are the ones who are remastering C&C with all new art and sound. Something in the style of Age of Empires 1 & 2 Definitive edition.

Avatar image for Mickeyminime
#16 Posted by Mickeyminime (1449 posts) -

I was playing HW2 the other day and i was wondering if a third game would ever be released, so it was funny to see on google that it was mentioned just recently that one is or might be coming out in the future. I do hope they don't scale it like they did with HWR. Considering the original HW wasn't scaled, i felt like the RM of the original was somewhat ruined by the scaling and the fact you can't play both factions through out the main campaign. They should have allowed you to play the other faction or left it as a reward once you complete the game.

I'll certainly be looking in to it though