Heroes of Newerth: A rip off?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Now I believe the same people that made the DotA mod for Warcraft 3 is making this, no? Is this not a rip off, or is it just me that its nearly identical. I'm sure if you are a big fan you won't mind, but if they charge full retail price, why pay for what is free? Here's a gameplay video of HoN and DotA.

Is it just me? :?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

S2 Games acknowledges it's a DotA-based game and asked the mod maker prior to its creation if he was ok with it.. that's mentioned on the beta site. Also, I believe the game is gonna be $30... so it's like a bargain title anyway.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pvtdonut54

S2 Games acknowledges it's a DotA-based game and asked the mod maker prior to its creation if he was ok with it.. that's mentioned on the beta site. Also, I believe the game is gonna be $30... so it's like a bargain title anyway.

MyopicCanadian
I see...
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions based
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
well DotA isn't really free, you need WC3. If you don't have it, then you might as well go for the improved Heroes of Newerth
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pvtdonut54

the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions basednaval

I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying.

well DotA isn't really free, you need WC3. If you don't have it, then you might as well go for the improved Heroes of NewerthF1_2004

Who doesn't have Warcraft 3? :P

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions basedpvtdonut54

well DotA isn't really free, you need WC3. If you don't have it, then you might as well go for the improved Heroes of NewerthF1_2004

I don't. Plus I find HoN quite amazing.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pvtdonut54

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

[QUOTE="naval"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]well DotA isn't really free, you need WC3. If you don't have it, then you might as well go for the improved Heroes of NewerthMythomniac

What are you waiting for? Go get WC 3 now! D:

What do you like about HoN?

BLUBBBER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BLUBBBER
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

I still like DotA better...... HoN feels just feels like a rip off, I mean cmon give us something new not copy and paste the same thing!

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

HoN even copies all of dota's balance changes. Any nerfs/buffs made in new versions of DOTA are transfered over to HoN. HoN is still a pretty fun game, but at least League of Legends tries to do some new things.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions basednaval
I don't know much about the microtransactions, but all I know is that you earn some points after every battle and with those points you can "buy" characters, about using money no idea, I never heard about that, but maybe it'll have that "option" too. I like the graphics and it's easy to make the items you want now, but imo DotA is still better and LoL is the best new Dota, not only because it's free, but it's also very fun and the community is great.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="naval"]the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions basedDanielDust
I don't know much about the microtransactions, but all I know is that you earn some points after every battle and with those points you can "buy" characters, about using money no idea, I never heard about that, but maybe it'll have that "option" too. I like the graphics and it's easy to make the items you want now, but imo DotA is still better and LoL is the best new Dota, not only because it's free, but it's also very fun and the community is great.

yeah, micro transactions are optional as far as I know. Basically micro transactions give you Riot Points so you can get your champions at a faster rate
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="naval"]the people who made dota are making league of legends which is free but micro transactions basednaval

yeah, micro transactions are optional as far as I know. Basically micro transactions give you Riot Points so you can get your champions at a faster rate

From what I know real money is going to be used to change the appearence of your heroes with skins and stuff.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i was really interested in HoN until i learned the whole thing was copy/paste from dota. and after looking at screenshots the interface seems copy/paste too (do we need a move, stop button?) LoL seems much better and since its microtransaction supported more of my friends can join me without having to pay
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Although the devs said they're big fans of DotA, the idea that they're getting paid for making characters with a higher polygon count and an optimized UI for DotA with no creativity or balancing effort from their part makes me sick.

Imo they're as despicable as Activision.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a new market I think, Demigod, League Of Legends, Heroes Of Newerth. Np for me. Anyway, it's the 10th most played game on Xfire, Am I the only one out of the beta?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
I guess I'm just not understanding what the point of this is if you already own Warcraft 3. Is there any incentive to own HoN or play League of Legends if you own Warcraft 3?
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Uh, the whole point of HoN is it is a rip off..............It says so on its own website. They wanted to keep it as the same as possible but on an upgraded engine. And they got permission to do it too.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I guess I'm just not understanding what the point of this is if you already own Warcraft 3. Is there any incentive to own HoN or play League of Legends if you own Warcraft 3?zomglolcats
The community and a different experience, so go with LoL, HoN is a DotA with better graphics, with an even worse community.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

well it takes a lot less time to find a game on LoL than it does in dota. not to mention my ping is MUCH lower in LoL. matchmaking means you won't be pitted against uber pros or have complete noobs on your team. buying items easier, and i feel the learning curve would be smoother for beginners. it's all in the details.

edit: quoted wrong person

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Ok thats cool. I guess I'll try out LoL then.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
Ice-frog(creator of dota) said it was ok and i haven't played dota but HoN is awesome game i've heard it just dota with better graphics and dota creator is making league of legends which is in closed beta builds upon the orignal dota Demi-god on the other hand is based on dota and has the best graphics.
DRaVenJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DRaVenJ
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Mythomniac"]

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

pvtdonut54

What are you waiting for? Go get WC 3 now! D:

What do you like about HoN?

What`s not to like... Reconnection system, matchmaking system ,stats system, leaver penalties and much much more :D..Forget about DOTA; that`s old school... go for new generation one => Heroes of Newerth
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I can't believe you bumped this thread.
ioanmosx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 ioanmosx
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts

Yeah, I would recommend you to try LoL too. It's quite good for being free.