help with Internet download rate

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-GrayFox-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 -GrayFox-
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
hi im from england and my isp is virgin media with a basic speedtouch modem and it connects at 2.3mb/s. but the download rate for the past week seems to be poor, ive tested it on speestest.com and the download is 130kbs and upload is 380kbs. is it me or arent u supposed to get faster download than upload? do u think i need a better modem or is there something else to improve it? any help would be great thanks.
-GrayFox-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 -GrayFox-
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
yeah just tried downloading of this site and it downloads at 17kb/s which is very slow.
Neme2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Neme2010
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts

Hello there. Im in the UK too. I check my download speeds by going to known websites that will give good download speeds. So, go to nvidia.com or amd.com and start downloading any large driver file of your choice and observe what download speed you are getting.

Good luck

Avatar image for graphicartist21
graphicartist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 graphicartist21
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

yeah just tried downloading of this site and it downloads at 17kb/s which is very slow.-GrayFox-
Gamespot has slow downloads which even they will admit to. But your speed tests should show closer to what your provider says you should get which you said is 2.3mb. This could be a few different things,

1. If you are sharing a network with others ion your home your speed will be noticably slower

2. you could have a virus so I would run a full system scan on your computer if you have an antivirus if not get avg its free and you can run a scan.

3. You could have adware or spyware which bog down your computer, again run a scan or get spybot search and destroy to run a scan if you dont have a spyware remover its also free.

4. finally after you have checked ALL this reset your modem by unplugging everything from it wait 30 seconds, then plug it all back in let it fire up, and test your speed then, dont use gamespot for testing your speed.

5. If nothing works then you may need a new modem, but only as a last resort.