help regarding my book external hard drive!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts
i recently bought a my book essential edition (160 GB) and hooked it up to my windows xp 2002. it works fine, displaying the contents of the drive. but, ive got one MAJOR problem. i copied all of the music onto the external hard drive, and deleted the files from my actual hard drive. now when i play it in windows media player, it says file not located. is there any way for windows media player to stream from the "my book" drive? please help me, im desperate! ive been on the phone with them for about an hour now :(
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
i recently bought a my book essential edition (160 GB) and hooked it up to my windows xp 2002. it works fine, displaying the contents of the drive. but, ive got one MAJOR problem. i copied all of the music onto the external hard drive, and deleted the files from my actual hard drive. now when i play it in windows media player, it says file not located. is there any way for windows media player to stream from the "my book" drive? please help me, im desperate! ive been on the phone with them for about an hour now :(distrbdslipsoad
First, What version of media player are you using...10 or 11? Your problem is that you deleted the music files from the my music folder. Windows media player doesn't automatically know that you moved your music. you need to point the player to where your music is. To do this you need to: A. Open Media player B. Select the Tools menu and go to options C. A new box will appear, Select the Library tab D. Select Monitor folders E. A new box will appear, Select ADD F. Find your drive that you stored you music on and select the folder G. You new folder should be in the list and windows media player should now monitor the activity of that folder and automatically had your music files!
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 distrbdslipsoad
[QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"]i recently bought a my book essential edition (160 GB) and hooked it up to my windows xp 2002. it works fine, displaying the contents of the drive. but, ive got one MAJOR problem. i copied all of the music onto the external hard drive, and deleted the files from my actual hard drive. now when i play it in windows media player, it says file not located. is there any way for windows media player to stream from the "my book" drive? please help me, im desperate! ive been on the phone with them for about an hour now :(cspiffo
First, What version of media player are you using...10 or 11? Your problem is that you deleted the music files from the my music folder. Windows media player doesn't automatically know that you moved your music. you need to point the player to where your music is. To do this you need to: A. Open Media player B. Select the Tools menu and go to options C. A new box will appear, Select the Library tab D. Select Monitor folders E. A new box will appear, Select ADD F. Find your drive that you stored you music on and select the folder G. You new folder should be in the list and windows media player should now monitor the activity of that folder and automatically had your music files!

thank you! there is just one problem though. when i click add, i dont see the drive anywhere in sight. the C drive is there, but i cant find the My Book (F:). do you know how i could get it to show up?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cspiffo
[QUOTE="cspiffo"][QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"]i recently bought a my book essential edition (160 GB) and hooked it up to my windows xp 2002. it works fine, displaying the contents of the drive. but, ive got one MAJOR problem. i copied all of the music onto the external hard drive, and deleted the files from my actual hard drive. now when i play it in windows media player, it says file not located. is there any way for windows media player to stream from the "my book" drive? please help me, im desperate! ive been on the phone with them for about an hour now :(distrbdslipsoad

thank you! there is just one problem though. when i click add, i dont see the drive anywhere in sight. the C drive is there, but i cant find the My Book (F:). do you know how i could get it to show up?

Can you access the drive to retrieve files? Try connecting the My book to another USB port.
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 distrbdslipsoad
nevermind! found it there :D thank you so much for responding!!
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cspiffo
nevermind! found it there :D thank you so much for responding!!distrbdslipsoad
Your welcome!