Help me update my PC spec please guys

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rigour_Mortise
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts

I am currently running on a PC from 2005 heh, so I guess its time to upgrade, especially seein as Im gonna need to run some extensive programs on it soon when I go to uni. So if I give you my spec, can you tell me what needs upgrading and how much it will cost.

I dont want a super PC, just one thats decent by todays standards.

My current spec:

Windows XP

1gb of RAM

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+

Radeon X550XT Graphics card 256mb

ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2

illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
if you have a pc from 2005 then it will likely be hard to upgrade your processor to anything higher than a dual core. you can get amd's highest X2 6400+. you could go with a cheap mainboard from gigabyte or dfi to get you started. then maybe look into getting a kit of 2x2gb sticks of ram. those are 45 by g.skill on newegg. you can really go anywhere with you video card from an 8800 to a 4870x2 it's all how much you're willing to pay into it. also, you can stick with XP if you want. I like vista, but that's just me. and, for your mainboard, if you're shopping on newegg or tigerdirect and you're sticking with amd, make sure the processor is going to fit in a socket AM2/AM2+. as for price, it's whatever you're willing to spend, that's why i cant give you a direct estimate. but you can get a good set of ram, proc, board, video for under 500.
illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
whew...mouthful. pm me if you need further help. ive class now, but i can help later on too.
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rigour_Mortise
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts
heh thanks man, thats very helpful. Do you think it would be easier for me to just buy a whole new computer? Because by the looks of it, if I did this, I wouldnt really be able to do it again in the future, when specs get even higher.
DJ8WORK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DJ8WORK
Member since 2003 • 2675 Posts

heh thanks man, thats very helpful. Do you think it would be easier for me to just buy a whole new computer? Because by the looks of it, if I did this, I wouldnt really be able to do it again in the future, when specs get even higher.Rigour_Mortise

yeah your better off with a new system. get ya self a intel 5200 CPU about £55, foxconn 45 CMX mother board about £30, 3GB DDR2 800 about £25 and a 8800GT £120 ish and 250GB Harddrive £30 and your done

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
dude... you need: more RAM, at least 2 gigs, a dual core, i dunno, but you can get a nice overclockable opteron if youre on a 939, and that card seems AGP, best you can get is an AGP radeon HD 3850 512 mb, so id just say buy a whole new computer since your power supply is probably weak