Help me build a GAMING pc (sites and specs wanted) ^_^

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

I'd really be thankful for the help. I previously asked before and got good feedback but I had to backdown from going through with getting it for personal reasons. Here is the thing though; I am not familiar with Pc's when it comes to specs and gaming needs. So if you could recommend me good qualities and options when building a custom pc, that would be great. I mean all of it, Ram, Graphics card, extras, the whole deal.

Im looking a high end rig; Something that will easily play today's games and hold me off for a long time to boot. I'd also like some sites to check up on for that. Also retail stores IF they make custom rigs. Hell, If its possible(because Im a noob and dont know), just link me to a site or two with ready to go specs and features already on it. Im willing to spend about $1000, more or less, so give it to me. I'd be really grateful for any help. Think of this as you building your own baby rig and you want to spoil it :P

....Btw, sorry for making ANOTHER one of these type of topics. Im sure they are everywhere but time is a factor since I need to be head'n out. I otherwise probably would have used the search feature. Thanks again, and just list whatever even though I wont get a chance to respond back.

Tagerh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tagerh
Member since 2009 • 996 Posts

I'd really be thankful for the help. I previously asked before and got good feedback but I had to backdown from going through with getting it for personal reasons. Here is the thing though; I am not familiar with Pc's when it comes to specs and gaming needs. So if you could recommend me good qualities and options when building a custom pc, that would be great. I mean all of it, Ram, Graphics card, extras, the whole deal.

Im looking a high end rig; Something that will easily play today's games and hold me off for a long time to boot. I'd also like some sites to check up on for that. Also retail stores IF they make custom rigs. Hell, If its possible(because Im a noob and dont know), just link me to a site or two with ready to go specs and features already on it. Im willing to spend about $1000, more or less, so give it to me. I'd be really grateful for any help. Think of this as you building your own baby rig and you want to spoil it :P

....Btw, sorry for making ANOTHER one of these type of topics. Im sure they are everywhere but time is a factor since I need to be head'n out. I otherwise probably would have used the search feature. Thanks again, and just list whatever even though I wont get a chance to respond back.

mccoyca112

since you are a noob at this, there are a few sites that you'll need to check out. one of the main reasons to build your own pc is so tat you can upgrade easily because you know about everything in your computer. so check this site out, this is the site I used :www.build-gaming-computers.com

I cant really give you full list of specs, but I can tell you something, for $1000 you could keep that computer for about 2 years or so.

~Good Luck!!

Avatar image for Handheld_Dude91
Handheld_Dude91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Handheld_Dude91
Member since 2005 • 1184 Posts
To give you an idea of what youre going to need to do, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQo1W_f_Do8. Make sure you order from either www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com because both are inexpensive, trustworthy, and awesome sites. Memory wise I would suggest atleast 4GB so that everything runs smoothly. I'd recommend for a graphics card an nVidia GTX 295 (it should be coming out soon), GTX 285, or an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. You can also use multiples of these cards for higher performance. Id also recommend a processor with 4 cores, so either an Intel Core Quad or an AMD Phenom X4 Quadcore processor.
Tagerh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tagerh
Member since 2009 • 996 Posts

To give you an idea of what youre going to need to do, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQo1W_f_Do8. Make sure you order from either www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com because both are inexpensive, trustworthy, and awesome sites. Memory wise I would suggest atleast 4GB so that everything runs smoothly. I'd recommend for a graphics card an nVidia GTX 295 (it should be coming out soon), GTX 285, or an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. You can also use multiples of these cards for higher performance. Id also recommend a processor with 4 cores, so either an Intel Core Quad or an AMD Phenom X4 Quadcore processor. Handheld_Dude91

or if you live in canada, newegg.ca , tigerdirect.ca , or canadacomputers.ca

both tigerdirect and canadacomputers have stores IN Canada so that you can minimize/exclude your shipping+handling.

illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
if lundy gets a hold of this thread he'll build you something nice for 1000. a couple of questions though. are you going to be using a monitor from another computer? what resolution is it? or is that going to be needed within that 1000usd range? also what games are you wanting to play? don't build your system around crysis, you'll play it once and never touch it again.
phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts

To give you an idea of what youre going to need to do, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQo1W_f_Do8. Make sure you order from either www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com because both are inexpensive, trustworthy, and awesome sites. Memory wise I would suggest atleast 4GB so that everything runs smoothly. I'd recommend for a graphics card an nVidia GTX 295 (it should be coming out soon), GTX 285, or an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. You can also use multiples of these cards for higher performance. Id also recommend a processor with 4 cores, so either an Intel Core Quad or an AMD Phenom X4 Quadcore processor. Handheld_Dude91

A quad? For gaming? Eh. There's little dual threaded apped games out as it is. Quads are good for benching but really not needed for gaming right now. I dont think u gonna see more quad supported thread games for a few years. U might as well go with an X58 platform if u gonna do that but the board and chip alone would run him close to 1k. He might be better off going with a wolfdale for now to be honest. That should hold him over. Well 4gbs if he's gonna run Vista. If he's gonna run XP then I wouldnt go past 3gbs. Now if u talking Windows 7 then hey go 4gbs. The 295 or 4870x2 maybe a lil much for him with them being 500 a pop. X2's. Though u can find an x2 for like $450 now but anyways since he is a noob I would strongly advise against going ATI for the vid card. Go Nvidia. More user friendly. A 260 might do him justice. If he wants he can shell out a lil more for a 285. Depends on wat reolution he's gonna play at too like another post mentioned. If u not going 1920 x 1200 res or better there is no need to go 295 or 4870x2.

Sounds like he needs the whole shabang...monitor, tower, keyboard, etc. He can go with a P45 board, a wolfdale processor, a Nv 260, or if u want a 285..if he running Vista (i suggest Vista 64 bit for gaming)...4gbs of 1066mhz ram should hold him down. If down the line he needs more gpu power he can always cop another 260 or 285 and put them in sli like u mentioned. Might have to go a lil cheap on the tower if he wants to stay under the 1k budget but wont be too bad.

phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 phoenixrebirth
Duh. Sry. If he wants to go sli later on he shouldnt get a P45 motherboard. A 780i board would do. I would recommend a 700w or better power supply since u arent going to be overclocking. I am particial to 1000w or better psu's myself but we not talking bout me. A case with good air flow is recommended. Antec three hundred, nine hundred etc. NZXT has some good cases too. Coolmaster as well.
DJ8WORK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ8WORK
Member since 2003 • 2675 Posts

CPU = Intel 5200

MotherBoard = Foxconn 45CMX

Ram = 4GB DDR 800

GPU = 8800GT

Harddrive = SATA 250GB (no less)

OS = Vista 64bit

mouse = Razor 1000+DPI

The rest like DVDRW rom and system case is up to you or personnel prefference. All the part i have recomended shouldnt cost you any more than your budget and you can play at 1900x1080 with ease..ohh i get most my pars from ebay

phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 phoenixrebirth

CPU = Intel 5200

MotherBoard = Foxconn 45CMX

Ram = 4GB DDR 800

GPU = 8800GT

Harddrive = SATA 250GB (no less)

OS = Vista 64bit

mouse = Razor 1000+DPI

The rest like DVDRW rom and system case is up to you or personnel prefference. All the part i have recomended shouldnt cost you any more than your budget and you can play at 1900x1080 with ease..ohh i get most my pars from ebay

DJ8WORK
phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 phoenixrebirth

Sry. original post was fubared. smh.

Anyways was saying he should get an E8400 or better. Give him 3.0 ghz from gate since he is not overclocking. The vid card...9800gtx atleast. They cheap now. The mouse I agree with u on @ razer. Nice keyboard to compliment the mouse like a razer acosta.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

[QUOTE="Handheld_Dude91"]To give you an idea of what youre going to need to do, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQo1W_f_Do8. Make sure you order from either www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com because both are inexpensive, trustworthy, and awesome sites. Memory wise I would suggest atleast 4GB so that everything runs smoothly. I'd recommend for a graphics card an nVidia GTX 295 (it should be coming out soon), GTX 285, or an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. You can also use multiples of these cards for higher performance. Id also recommend a processor with 4 cores, so either an Intel Core Quad or an AMD Phenom X4 Quadcore processor. Tagerh

or if you live in canada, newegg.ca , tigerdirect.ca , or canadacomputers.ca

both tigerdirect and canadacomputers have stores IN Canada so that you can minimize/exclude your shipping+handling.

forgot about ncix, price comparison for even cheaper prices and only 5% tax from alberta.
esauls7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 esauls7
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I'm in this same boat as this character: want the best pc possible for about 1200 bucks. please keep the suggestions coming as I'm piggybacking off this. (all i play are football/soccer manager games and strategy games: empire total war is what im looking at next).

thanks in advance

44Bubbleboy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 44Bubbleboy44
Member since 2005 • 616 Posts

All from Newegg.com

Antec Nine Hundred - $110

Corsair 750w psu - $100 after mir