Help, can't get my backed up HDD off of my brothers external

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheProdigy619
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Not sure of the question... reformat = loosing everything Don't see what else you can expect of that :|TheProdigy619

I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. When i installed the new components and tried to boot up windows wasn't working. I had to reformat my HDD in order for things to work properly.

Before i reformatted my HDD I grabbed my brothers external HDD and backed up all of my files.  When I went over to his house he started telling me that he reformatted the external HDD so that it could pair with his PS3 and that it might not let me transfer files over 1GB.

Everything transfered over to the external HDD from my HDD just fine. in the process I read that my back up would be saved on disk G:

After the back up, I reformatted my HDD and installed all the necessary drivers, then connected the external HDD with my back up files on board.  Once connected, I explored its contents only to find disk F: which was labeled PS3. The only evidence that I can find that my files actually made the transfer is the change in available space. There is exactly 48GB (I know, I had almost nothing on here) less space than there was before i attempted the back up. I have no idea where disk G: is :S

My question is; where are my files and how can I get them onto my HDD?

When i connect the external HDD i get this message

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheProdigy619
format your drive and do a fresh install of windowsMonsieurX
Nothing is backed up, is there really nothing I can try first? The error message actually says windows can't boot properly because of recent hardware or software changes
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
yes and yes
TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheProdigy619
I'm trying to boot up but when my comp is loading up it try's to skip to the asrock menu and tells me windows was shut down incorrectly blah blah...ive done a system restore but still doesn't work. Asrock flashed for a millisecond and in able to get into uefi but when I get there I still don't no what to do to just boot up. I tried loading defaults even though it wants to run my ram at 1333 but I still can't boot. Should I try system recovery or what? My hdd and so worked just fine b4 this moboTheProdigy619
New thread
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
format your drive and do a fresh install of windows
TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheProdigy619
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]format your drive and do a fresh install of windowsTheProdigy619
Nothing is backed up, is there really nothing I can try first? The error message actually says windows can't boot properly because of recent hardware or software changes

Should I remove the hard drive and mess with something in bios? It's hard to work with the mobo when my os is acting like this
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

You can't continue using an existing Windows installation after a major hardware change.

Do a clean installation of Windows again. There is no other way around it.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]format your drive and do a fresh install of windowsTheProdigy619

Buy a new boot drive, and install Windows on that. Keep the present one the way it is until you've gotten all your stuff off it. Install manufacturer's mobo drivers first thing when you get into Windows.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheProdigy619

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]format your drive and do a fresh install of windowsBlistrax

Buy a new boot drive, and install Windows on that. Keep the present one the way it is until you've gotten all your stuff off it. Install manufacturer's mobo drivers first thing when you get into Windows.

im borrowing my brothers 1tb external hard drive for this, but unfortunately i dont have a tangible copy of windows. it came installed on the HP i bought

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"] Nothing is backed up, is there really nothing I can try first? The error message actually says windows can't boot properly because of recent hardware or software changesTheProdigy619

im borrowing my brothers 1tb external hard drive for this, but unfortunately i dont have a tangible copy of windows. it came installed on the HP i bought

Oh. Well why not put your HDD in your brother's machine and get your stuff off it that way?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

Blistrax

Oh. Well why not put your HDD in your brother's machine and get your stuff off it that way?

Yeah, this would be good.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheProdigy619

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

soolkiki

maybe next time i run into this ill do that, I already went over to his house and picked up the external :/

would it be faster to do with with another hdd?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blistrax

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

TheProdigy619

maybe next time i run into this ill do that, I already went over to his house and picked up the external :/

You mean instead of the external? Sure, but the external will be fast, too.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheProdigy619

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]Yeah, this would be good.

Blistrax

everything went in fine but now i cant get it off of his damn  external....

He told me when he gave it to me that he re formatted it so he could use it with his ps3, so im not sure if this is the issue. he said something about not having files over 1GB.

when i was backing up my files it told me it would be put on disk G: but when i hook it up and open the files all that it shows is disk f: which is labeled ps3 :/

If i were to format this to work with my comp (not that I know how) would i be able to see my stuff? would I ruin any of his files in a reformat?

I know it's on there because he has less space

p.s. my router isnt working after the reformat of my HDD, but i can hardwire in form my modem. any ideas? (I hardwire in from my router too)

i have a name/pass that you would use for wifi connections, but im not sure where to enter these if this is the issue :S

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheProdigy619

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

TheProdigy619

He told me when he gave it to me that he re formatted it so he could use it with his ps3, so im not sure if this is the issue. he said something about not having files over 1GB.

when i was backing up my files it told me it would be put on disk G: but when i hook it up and open the files all that it shows is disk f: which is labeled ps3 :/

If i were to format this to work with my comp (not that I know how) would i be able to see my stuff? would I ruin any of his files in a reformat?

p.s. my router isnt working after the reformat of my HDD, but i can hardwire in form my modem. any ideas? (I hardwire in from my router too)

i have a name/pass that you would use for wifi connections, but im not sure where to enter these if this is the issue :S

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheProdigy619

[QUOTE="TheProdigy619"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

TheProdigy619

what can i expect to happen if i reformat his external HDD?

edit: router works

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheProdigy619

You backed your files on his HDD He formated his HDD Don't wonder where the files areMonsieurX

you are misunderstanding.

he formated the HDD long before i got my hands on it.

there has been no formatting of the externalHDD since ive had it..........................................................................................................................................

it doesnt matter, whatever he did to it made it so that I couldnt transfer my files properly. 

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

either they never copied properly (did you verify?) or the caddy is screwy. (providing nothing else has happened to the drive since transferring)darksusperia
Yeah did u ever check to see the files actually transferred over instead of just looking at remaining space

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonsieurX
Not sure of the question... reformat = loosing everything Don't see what else you can expect of that :|
TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheProdigy619

Not sure of the question... reformat = loosing everything Don't see what else you can expect of that :|MonsieurX

I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. When i installed the new components and tried to boot up windows wasn't working. I had to reformat my HDD in order for things to work properly.

Before i reformatted my HDD I grabbed my brothers external HDD and backed up all of my files.  When I went over to his house he started telling me that he reformatted the external HDD so that it could pair with his PS3 and that it might not let me transfer files over 1GB.

Everything transfered over to the external HDD from my HDD just fine. in the process I read that my back up would be saved on disk G:

After the back up, I reformatted my HDD and installed all the necessary drivers, then connected the external HDD with my back up files on board.  Once connected, I explored its contents only to find disk F: which was labeled PS3. The only evidence that I can find that my files actually made the transfer is the change in available space. There is exactly 48GB (I know, I had almost nothing on here) less space than there was before i attempted the back up. I have no idea where disk G: is :S

My question is; where are my files and how can I get them onto my HDD?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX
You backed your files on his HDD He formated his HDD Don't wonder where the files are
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
either they never copied properly (did you verify?) or the caddy is screwy. (providing nothing else has happened to the drive since transferring)
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

long shot but u can try updating ur USB drivers for your mobo

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Okay, let's break this down....

Formatting a HDD to work on a PS3 takes a bit of a different approach over someone formatting a HDD for 99.9% of most PCs out there today. If you're computer is runnin Windows XP or newer, then your file system is based off of NTFS. For a PS3, when you formate the HDD it has to use FAT32. The max size file that FAT32 can support is 4GB - 1byte. If you had any files larger than 4GB in size, they will not copy over - a good example of a file over 4GB would be a movie.

Do you know if your brother actually assigned the drive letter of G: to his external HDD? If not, then the external will be viewed (just like a flash drive) and assigned a drive letter once you plug it into a USB port and your computer detects it. Your files very well may be in the partition of the driver labeled "ps3".

If you were to format his HDD, yes, you would delete out any data he has stored on it. I would refrain from doing this unless he's okay with this method. If your computer is detecting the external HDD, try to navigate through it and see if you can locate the files you copied over to it.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheProdigy619

Okay, let's break this down....

Formatting a HDD to work on a PS3 takes a bit of a different approach over someone formatting a HDD for 99.9% of most PCs out there today. If you're computer is runnin Windows XP or newer, then your file system is based off of NTFS. For a PS3, when you formate the HDD it has to use FAT32. The max size file that FAT32 can support is 4GB - 1byte. If you had any files larger than 4GB in size, they will not copy over - a good example of a file over 4GB would be a movie.

Do you know if your brother actually assigned the drive letter of G: to his external HDD? If not, then the external will be viewed (just like a flash drive) and assigned a drive letter once you plug it into a USB port and your computer detects it. Your files very well may be in the partition of the driver labeled "ps3".

If you were to format his HDD, yes, you would delete out any data he has stored on it. I would refrain from doing this unless he's okay with this method. If your computer is detecting the external HDD, try to navigate through it and see if you can locate the files you copied over to it.

neatfeatguy

thanks man, i went through each folder and found it. It was poorly labeled, but i should have looked more thoroughly the first time.

as for the disc name.. it changes depending on which usb port i am plugged into apparently.

basically you are right, all the files larger than 4GB failed to make the trip over.

my brother is a software engineere so I knew his warning was worth noting, only thing is he told me i would see an error if it wouldnt work.... bas+ard!

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blistrax

You can use a file splitter to make smaller files and rejoin them after.