Help before first build. Please.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 earthking
Member since 2003 • 12506 Posts

Hey everybody! I am currently finishing picking parts for my first build. I just had a few questions before I order my parts for my first build. I hope I can get some opinions.

1. Can I build the build on a carpet? My apartment has no wooden floors, just carpet and I don't want to damage my components due to static. I am deciding between a gaming desktop vs gaming notebook. I have picked all my parts for the gaming desktop, but that is my main concern.

2. Do you think I should invest in an anti-static mat (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19542/pad-310/ModRight_Xtreme_Super_Large_Anti-Static_Mod-Mat_Work_and_Assembly_Surface_Over_47_x_23_in_Size_-_Patent_Pending.html)? I have an anti-static wrist band but I don't know if that will be enough.

3. What OS should I choose for my build? I am deciding between Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro. Those two are the current skus I'm looking at. I have used all the Windows OS in the past and I don't know if I should upgrade now to w8 or stay with W7 (I'm currenly using Windows 7 Home Premium on my gaming laptop).

4. Are mechanical keyboards worth the price? What switch is good for me (I mainly will play FPS games and will be using microsoft word to type up projects, but prefer a quiet typing experiences)? Sure I look into membrane keys? I am currently looking at the Logitech G710+ or Logitech G19s? What are the advantages/disadvantages of these keyboards? Which do you prefer?

5. Can I game using my Vizio 32" HDTV (1080p/60hz)? Using my current tv would save me money on a monitor/speakers.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
You dont need to get a mat. Just touch the computer case every once in awhile to discharge yourself, Stay with Win 7 Win 8 is a hassle at times and really does not have enough to justify coming from 7. mechanical keyboards last longer but personally rubber-dome switch based keyboards are just fine. Yes you can use your TV and as long as your screen is 1080p(use HDMI input) it wont be too bad like a 32" with 720p resolution
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
3. Go for W7,but don't really need to get Ultimate 4. Owning the 710+ and it was a nice upgrade over my cheapo media keyboard,love it. 5. Yes you can.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

Hey everybody! I am currently finishing picking parts for my first build. I just had a few questions before I order my parts for my first build. I hope I can get some opinions.

1. Can I build the build on a carpet? My apartment has no wooden floors, just carpet and I don't want to damage my components due to static. I am deciding between a gaming desktop vs gaming notebook. I have picked all my parts for the gaming desktop, but that is my main concern.

2. Do you think I should invest in an anti-static mat (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19542/pad-310/ModRight_Xtreme_Super_Large_Anti-Static_Mod-Mat_Work_and_Assembly_Surface_Over_47_x_23_in_Size_-_Patent_Pending.html)? I have an anti-static wrist band but I don't know if that will be enough.

3. What OS should I choose for my build? I am deciding between Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro. Those two are the current skus I'm looking at. I have used all the Windows OS in the past and I don't know if I should upgrade now to w8 or stay with W7 (I'm currenly using Windows 7 Home Premium on my gaming laptop).

4. Are mechanical keyboards worth the price? What switch is good for me (I mainly will play FPS games and will be using microsoft word to type up projects, but prefer a quiet typing experiences)? Sure I look into membrane keys? I am currently looking at the Logitech G710+ or Logitech G19s? What are the advantages/disadvantages of these keyboards? Which do you prefer?

5. Can I game using my Vizio 32" HDTV (1080p/60hz)? Using my current tv would save me money on a monitor/speakers.

earthking

1) build it on a table or bench

2)sounds like a waste of $$ to me

3) windows 7 is my choice

4)no a regular keyboard is all the same, get one of those $20 ones

5) yes you can but a monitor is better.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Just a quick bug in your ear.  While Windows 7 is a great OS, some games are starting to recommend Windows 8 for the DX 11.1/.2 support.  Battlefield 4 just released their recommended specs, and it looks like Win 8 may help out a little there.  Can't go wrong with Win 7 to be sure, but that might be something to take into consideration before making your final decision.

duderino_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 duderino_23
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts

As a good cheap keyboard option i use the microsoft x4 sidewinder, will cost you £30 to £35, worth investing in even if you are gonna buy a better/mechanical keyboard at some point in the future.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

You dont need to get a mat. Just touch the computer case every once in awhile to discharge yourself, Stay with Win 7 Win 8 is a hassle at times and really does not have enough to justify coming from 7. mechanical keyboards last longer but personally rubber-dome switch based keyboards are just fine. Yes you can use your TV and as long as your screen is 1080p(use HDMI input) it wont be too bad like a 32" with 720p resolution 04dcarraher
i just luv dat free potshot