HELLGATE: LONDON!!!! woot woot

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

SO.... Hellgate London is just around the corner... I'm am really excited for this title, this and Starcraft II are my most anticipated PC titles, but since HL is arriving much earlier I'm more focused on it. NOw despite being really excited about the game... I know very little about the classes/abilities, how long the game is supposed to be, and things of that nature.

How many classes are there? I know there is a Templar, Cabalist & Hunter (i think), are there any more or are we limited to the 3.... and if its just the 3 classes, then what about customizing ur char. I'm not talking about "gear", im talking about abilities, or "Skill Trees".

Anyway, you might be saying well just look it up on the net, well I have looked. Even www.hellgatelondon.com is very limited with the amount of info on the game..... so if you dont wanna take the time to tell me, maybe you can give me a good link to a site where i can read it for myself. thx in advance for any constructive responses.

PS: Hellgate:London will ROCK, me thinks!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

SO.... Hellgate London is just around the corner... I'm am really excited for this title, this and Starcraft II are my most anticipated PC titles, but since HL is arriving much earlier I'm more focused on it. NOw despite being really excited about the game... I know very little about the classes/abilities, how long the game is supposed to be, and things of that nature.

How many classes are there? I know there is a Templar, Cabalist & Hunter (i think), are there any more or are we limited to the 3.... and if its just the 3 classes, then what about customizing ur char. I'm not talking about "gear", im talking about abilities, or "Skill Trees".

Anyway, you might be saying well just look it up on the net, well I have looked. Even www.hellgatelondon.com is very limited with the amount of info on the game..... so if you dont wanna take the time to tell me, maybe you can give me a good link to a site where i can read it for myself. thx in advance for any constructive responses.

Veterngamer

I too am looking foward to this game, but havent payed too much attention.

In terms of ****structure, the three you listed are the main ****s, and from what I hear there are sub****s. For example, the templar has a guardian (shield and sword) sub****while the hunter can have a marksman (sniper) sub****

As far as leveling and skill trees go, I would not be suprised if they did it the way they did Diablo 2. Like in Diablo you could play a necro, but then focus on three trees (curses, summoning, and the other one)

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Yea I'm excited aobut this game too (anybody know any cool shwag for pre-orders?).

I've actually been ignoring most of the preview stuff since I'm getting the game anyway. Hopefully all the cool stuff will just be a stellar surprise.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Veterngamer"]

mrbojangles25

I too am looking foward to this game, but havent payed too much attention.

In terms of ****structure, the three you listed are the main ****s, and from what I hear there are sub****s. For example, the templar has a guardian (shield and sword) sub****while the hunter can have a marksman (sniper) sub****

As far as leveling and skill trees go, I would not be suprised if they did it the way they did Diablo 2. Like in Diablo you could play a necro, but then focus on three trees (curses, summoning, and the other one)

When I saw the game a couple weeks ago and looked at the skill trees, my mind immediately went 'D2 D2 D2!!!' If nothing else, the skill trees are laid out almost exactly like D2's were, just mildly more complicated :)
Nazgolu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Nazgolu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think there are 3 main classes and each of those has a sub-class.

For example the Templar class has one defending/tanking class and one offensive.

koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts

Veterngamer

Basicaly there are 3 factions. The templar, the hunters, and the cabalist (sp?). Anyways each faction has 2 clases.

The templar are your 'frontliners' good with melee and do a lot of damage. You have the 'tank' clas which is called the gaurdian. They get bonuses using shields and getting swarmed. Then you have the blademaster who deals a lot of damage and is fairly agile moving in and out of random spots of combat.

The hunters are your technology/soldier/special forces unit. These people will play more closely to an FPS. There is the marksman who gets bonuses in aiming, and damage, that kind of stuff. Then there is the engineer who builds bots and robots to help him out in the battlefield.

The cabalists are your 'magic' characters, although where they get their powers from differ from some traditional RPGs. They are ones who study demons and their powers in order to use those said powers against said demons. You have the evoker, who does all major spell damage. Then you have the summoner (think it might be called something different) but they summon demons and things of that nature.

Anyway here's a good site on HGL.

http://www.hellgateguru.com

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts
okay.... so 3 main classes... and then 3 ways to go for specializing them.... okay... not bad, thats enough for me.... as long as the game has legs.... aka.... MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CONTENT (FUN CONTENT) & LoOT!
koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 koza_76

okay.... so 3 main classes... and then 3 ways to go for specializing them.... okay... not bad, thats enough for me.... as long as the game has legs.... aka.... MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CONTENT (FUN CONTENT) & LoOT!Veterngamer

Hmmm, there are 3 factions and 2 clases for each. So it's a total of six. However flagship studios did say there will be more classes available as the game progresses. They will add them in updates and the such.

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I just finished reading the first book tonight.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
God I can't wait for this game, going to be awesome. Haven't decided what faction or class I'll be yet though, despite doing a lot of reading. Need to read the books too :D
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Is this game an RPG in the Final Fantasy sense or like WoW? Or, let me rephrase that. Is it something like Guild Wars or WoW?
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

The game is basically giuld wars with an "elite" version you have to pay for if you want to form a guild, do pvp, see all areas and equip the good items. personally I'm going to pass.

to above poster, it's set in current day london... where a portal to hell has opened. So I guess you could classify it as sci-fi/horror hack and slash.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

The game is basically giuld wars with an "elite" version you have to pay for if you want to form a guild, do pvp, see all areas and equip the good items. personally I'm going to pass.

to above poster, it's set in current day london... where a portal to hell has opened. So I guess you could classify it as sci-fi/horror hack and slash.

delirin

Ugh...more ignorance.

You can do PvP with the free mode. With the ELite, there is just more options for PvP.

You can also *join* guilds as a free member, but you cannot create them, or be an officer.

The elite items are statistically the same, just cooler looking.

Also, the main draw for the elite version is continuing updates that add new locations, items, weapons, armor, skills, classes, monsters, and gameplay modes on a monthly to semi monthly schedule.

So it's kinda like buying Guild Wars, where you have to buyexpansion packs to get new stuff. And if you don't want to pay, you can play the game online free. The free online is also (according to what we know) is one of the most robust online experience ever attempted in a hack and slash game. Also, the game ships with a full fledged 30-40 hour single player campaign, complete with a full story and great looking cinematics (ala Diablo II).

Personally, I am stoked for the game. I have been reading people's beta and alpha impressions and they all have said it's incredibly fun.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

delirin

I'd like to say I will miss having someone likeyou in the Hellgate community whining about monthly fees... but I won't.

epsylonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 epsylonic
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts

Having alpha tested it, I can promise that the pve in hellgate is probably the best anyone has seen. The quests are structured in a way that you always know where to go and you don't have to worry about what the best order to do them is. The mechanic for killing monsters and all the aoe and splash damage stuff is lots of fun. It will probably be the most unique mmo out there, and everyone should try it.

As far as PvP goes, it doesn't seem like its built into the game from the ground up so, so it will probably be lacking. I guess we'll just have to wait for release.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11109 Posts
me too really excited for it, woot woot !!! another great game coming, it's such a awesome time. first- bioshock, total war kingdoms, civilization iv broken sword and WiC. soon we will be having crysis demo, hellgate london, witcher and so many others :D :D
Saftin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Saftin
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts
I was excited about it. Then I figured I will be a freebie. I'll just go for Guitar Hero 3 instead..
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
This is one of my most highly anticipated titles this year, so woot woot all the way! :D Everything I've read/seen/heard about this games has been to my liking, duald-wiedling fully customizable weapons when demon hordes are coming at you and just blowing the away without reloading, can't wait for it! Usually I don't buy games right when they release but I think I will be doing an exception with Hellgate.
Valramil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Valramil
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts

This game is the only game that I've been looking forward to for a very long time. I for one loved the diablo series, and am sure hopin this will be just as popular. Sure looks that way for now.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
im excited about this game but i heard somewhere that you have to pay to play permonth is that true?
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

im excited about this game but i heard somewhere that you have to pay to play permonth is that true?FlaminDeath

not true. If you want extra content you would have to pay each month.That said, I believe the content that is already available will last you a good 50~100 hours.

lostsnafu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostsnafu
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I too am extremely excited about the impending release of this monstrous game. I've been following it since i first heard of it and I'm now getting antsy that it's so close.

Also I have read the first book based on the game, which is set twenty years before the game takes place about two weeks after the Hellgate opened, and it was awsome. One of the better books I've ever read. Plus it really gives you a feel for how desperate the games lore is. After reading it I really can't wait for the game... I WANTSESS IT!!!

koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 koza_76

Is this game an RPG in the Final Fantasy sense or like WoW? Or, let me rephrase that. Is it something like Guild Wars or WoW?MattUD1

Neither. It's like Diablo.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dnuggs40

Speaking of hellgate london...I just got emailedmy BETA invite 5 mins ago :D

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Speaking of hellgate london...I just got emailedmy BETA invite 5 mins ago :D

dnuggs40

lucky :( How did you get in?

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

[QUOTE="FlaminDeath"]im excited about this game but i heard somewhere that you have to pay to play permonth is that true?_Pedro_

not true. If you want extra content you would have to pay each month.That said, I believe the content that is already available will last you a good 50~100 hours.

cool thx for the info
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

[QUOTE="FlaminDeath"]im excited about this game but i heard somewhere that you have to pay to play permonth is that true?FlaminDeath

cool thx for the info

it's basically if you were happy with Diablo 2, then you'd be happy with free Hellgate. except i do think they cut out hardcore mode for non-payers. haha... so you'd have to pay money if you'd like your character to die permanently. :D
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 delirin

Ugh...more ignorance. a description of your post and it's obvious and false statements perhaps?

You can do PvP with the free mode. With the ELite, there is just more options for PvP. Forgive me for not splitting hairs in my description.

You can also *join* guilds as a free member, but you cannot create them, or be an officer. I said "form a guild".

The elite items are statistically the same, just cooler looking. This is not true, it's been stated again and again that elite users would have access to more/new items and areas.

Also, the main draw for the elite version is continuing updates that add new locations, items, weapons, armor, skills, ****s, monsters, and gameplay modes on a monthly to semi monthly schedule. Again, small updates over a long period of time, personally I'd MUCH rather buy expansions.

So it's kinda like buying Guild Wars, where you have to buyexpansion packs to get new stuff. And if you don't want to pay, you can play the game online free. The free online is also (according to what we know) is one of the most robust online experience ever attempted in a hack and slash game. Also, the game ships with a full fledged 30-40 hour single player campaign, complete with a full story and great looking cinematics (ala Diablo II). Yes, much like guild wars... in that it costs the developer little to host, and we are paying retail. Again, I'd rather buy expansions.

Personally, I am stoked for the game. I have been reading people's beta and alpha impressions and they all have said it's incredibly fun. I was excited about the game as well, but I'm not interested in this tiered pricing model that will seperate it's own userbase, add to my already lengthy user subscription fees etc etc. Personally, I feel this is a trend I hope is nipped in the bud and willl really only hurt this game. I'm not ignorant and don't expect the game to fail, it looks fun, but this price model is just assinine.

dnuggs40

Personally I don't understand why anyone would be FOR turning their computer into a glorified slot machine.

Have fun with your subscription fees, and in the future when the list of games you play will be more limited because even more of them will carry such a ridiculous price model. This price model will split it's userbase, cost users, ANNOY USERS, and lower the lifespan of it's multiplayer because of the split userbase, not to mentionthat it will be less casual to pick up/drop ifusers have to pay a fee for full functionality.

dsymetry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 dsymetry
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
Looking forward to the release, but would like to see more information about the game on their site! Hope I can get into the beta.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Wait a minute. i thought elite users just got cooler looking weapons. Please, please don't tell me they get better weapons as well. If so I will truly begin to hate flagship and their rather stupid pricing model for a game that's not even an MMO.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Wait a minute. i thought elite users just got cooler looking weapons. Please, please don't tell me they get better weapons as well. If so I will truly begin to hate flagship and their rather stupid pricing model for a game that's not even an MMO. onemic

It is just cooler looking weapons. the whole "you have to be an elite memebr to get the best stuff" is jsut some kind of myth haters try to spread. Its been stated again and again that the shift in balance in going to in favor of subscribers.

I'd love to see the guy above me's claim that subscribers will get statiistically better items. Prefearbly a source thats not his ass.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 delirin

[QUOTE="onemic"]Wait a minute. i thought elite users just got cooler looking weapons. Please, please don't tell me they get better weapons as well. If so I will truly begin to hate flagship and their rather stupid pricing model for a game that's not even an MMO. XaosII

It is just cooler looking weapons. the whole "you have to be an elite memebr to get the best stuff" is jsut some kind of myth haters try to spread. Its been stated again and again that the shift in balance in going to in favor of subscribers.

I'd love to see the guy above me's claim that subscribers will get statiistically better items. Prefearbly a source thats not his ass.

A source that isn't my ass: http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81122&postcount=301

To make it easier on you.... he mentions the elite version features " new quests, dungeons, WEAPONS, monsters, etc."He also mentions further refrences elite items... as to detail on the differences, of course exact stats aren't listed.

I'm not a "hater", I just really reallythink this subscription model is 2 steps backwards for gaming (think quarters at the arcade).

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dnuggs40

"a description of your post and it's obvious and false statements perhaps?"

Na, and in the following I am going to rip your posts apart, becuase you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about ;)

"Forgive me for not splitting hairs in my description."

Yup, no problem man! If you say there is only PvP for elite members, make sure that is the case ok? Thats of course why I called your statementsignorant see? Misinformation much?

"This is not true, it's been stated again and again that elite users would have access to more/new items and areas"

ROFL! Ignorant statement #2! Please, show me these links...wait nvm...I will just go ahead and debunk your misinformation right now ;)

"Elite gear doesn't automatically mean "better," it's just "different." There could be a normal drop that's better than Elite. "

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hellgate-london/786714p5.html

It has been said time and again, through many different interviws, that Elite gear was not statistically better, it was just different and cooler looking. Get your facts straight pal ;)

"Again, small updates over a long period of time, personally I'd MUCH rather buy expansions"

How do you know how large/small the updates will be? Played the game yet? Why not actually attempt to use your head and judge the content when it comes out? And you prefering expansion packs is absolutely irrelevent. Who cares what you prefer? Go play Guild Wars then. Bottom line is however, what they claim to offer with the elite service appears to be well worth in terms of content and value. And if you don't want it, DONT PAY! Simple and easy kiddo!

"Yes, much like guild wars... in that it costs the developer little to host, and we are paying retail. Again, I'd rather buy expansions. "

ROFL! Costs little to host? Have you even the slightest clue in the world how much supporting a network for tens of thousands of people cost? Have you no clue how much it cost to keep developers,testers,artist,ect on staff pumping out new content on a monthly basis? C'mon man, get with the program. You have zero idea in the world what you speak of.

"I was excited about the game as well, but I'm not interested in this tiered pricing model that will seperate it's own userbase, add to my already lengthy user subscription fees etc etc. Personally, I feel this is a trend I hope is nipped in the bud and willl really only hurt this game. I'm not ignorant and don't expect the game to fail, it looks fun, but this price model is just assinine."

The only thing you have proved asinine is your perceptions and opinions. If you don't like it, fine, doesn't matter. But stop running around here spreading your misinformation. Thats the ONLY problem I have with this.

"Personally I don't understand why anyone would be FOR turning their computer into a glorified slot machine."

Oh...I dunno...maybe some of us are adults and can see the value in the subscription? And even if we dont, we are able to plainly see the game is a fully fledged and ruboust game right out of the box. I guess some people would rather actually look at the facts and make determanations from them, and not be an immature reactionalist...

"Have fun with your subscription fees, and in the future when the list of games you play will be more limited because even more of them will carry such a ridiculous price model. This price model will split it's userbase, cost users, ANNOY USERS, and lower the lifespan of it's multiplayer because of the split userbase, not to mentionthat it will be less casual to pick up/drop ifusers have to pay a fee for full functionality."

Bla bla bla the sky is falling bla bla bla...

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="onemic"]Wait a minute. i thought elite users just got cooler looking weapons. Please, please don't tell me they get better weapons as well. If so I will truly begin to hate flagship and their rather stupid pricing model for a game that's not even an MMO. delirin

A source that isn't my ass: http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81122&postcount=301

To make it easier on you.... he mentions the elite version features " new quests, dungeons, WEAPONS, monsters, etc."He also mentions further refrences elite items... as to detail on the differences, of course exact stats aren't listed.

I'm not a "hater", I just really reallythink this subscription model is 2 steps backwards for gaming (think quarters at the arcade).

NEW WEAPONS, not BETTER weapons...

What don't you understand about that? Good lord man...

"equip the good items"

EVERYONE gets "the good items", just the Elite will get MORE items OVER TIME...

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts

Na, and in the following I am going to rip your posts apart, becuase you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about ;)

Yup, no problem man! If you say there is only PvP for elite members, make sure that is the case ok? Thats of course why I called your statementsignorant see? Misinformation much?

"This is not true, it's been stated again and again that elite users would have access to more/new items and areas"

ROFL! Ignorant statement #2! Please, show me these links...wait nvm...I will just go ahead and debunk your misinformation right now ;)

"Elite gear doesn't automatically mean "better," it's just "different." There could be a normal drop that's better than Elite. "

It has been said time and again, through many different interviws, that Elite gear was not statistically better, it was just different and cooler looking. Get your facts straight pal ;)

"Again, small updates over a long period of time, personally I'd MUCH rather buy expansions"

How do you know how large/small the updates will be? Played the game yet? Why not actually attempt to use your head and judge the content when it comes out? And you prefering expansion packs is absolutely irrelevent. Who cares what you prefer? Go play Guild Wars then. Bottom line is however, what they claim to offer with the elite service appears to be well worth in terms of content and value. And if you don't want it, DONT PAY! Simple and easy kiddo!

"Yes, much like guild wars... in that it costs the developer little to host, and we are paying retail. Again, I'd rather buy expansions. "

ROFL! Costs little to host? Have you even the slightest clue in the world how much supporting a network for tens of thousands of people cost? Have you no clue how much it cost to keep developers,testers,artist,ect on staff pumping out new content on a monthly basis? C'mon man, get with the program. You have zero idea in the world what you speak of.

"I was excited about the game as well, but I'm not interested in this tiered pricing model that will seperate it's own userbase, add to my already lengthy user subscription fees etc etc. Personally, I feel this is a trend I hope is nipped in the bud and willl really only hurt this game. I'm not ignorant and don't expect the game to fail, it looks fun, but this price model is just assinine."

The only thing you have proved asinine is your perceptions and opinions. If you don't like it, fine, doesn't matter. But stop running around here spreading your misinformation. Thats the ONLY problem I have with this.

"Personally I don't understand why anyone would be FOR turning their computer into a glorified slot machine."

Oh...I dunno...maybe some of us are adults and can see the value in the subscription? And even if we dont, we are able to plainly see the game is a fully fledged and ruboust game right out of the box. I guess some people would rather actually look at the facts and make determanations from them, and not be an immature reactionalist...

"Have fun with your subscription fees, and in the future when the list of games you play will be more limited because even more of them will carry such a ridiculous price model. This price model will split it's userbase, cost users, ANNOY USERS, and lower the lifespan of it's multiplayer because of the split userbase, not to mentionthat it will be less casual to pick up/drop ifusers have to pay a fee for full functionality."

dnuggs40
You know I would actually respect you if you expressed your opinions(or facts whatever you call them) decently, but you do it completely insulting and trying to mock whoever doesn't agree with you.Shows what kind of person you must be in real life, really.
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 delirin

dnuggs40

I stopped reading at "rip your posts apart". You really would be better off not saying anything, I think an arrogant wall of text will do your side more harm then good in any argument.

I have an opinion, I haven't lied.. splitting hairs isn't going to change that, nor are insults or arrogant statements going to disprove it.

edit: rewrite because gamespy hates me and decides to delete my text

grabeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 grabeh
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts

Diablo 2 was a good hack and slash. In fact, its the probably be the only hack and slash I would ever buy.

I'll check the reviews for the game but there's a 10% chance I would actually buy it. Meh, I guess I'm more of a D&D guy. (BALDUR'S GATE 3 WOOOT!)...just kidding...

Oh and LOL at the dudes arguing. "OMG GAMES GONNA BE GREAT" "OMG ITS GONNA BE CRAP" Rawrrrr. Guys, your just wasting your time. =)

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I can't wait to play this game.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XaosII

I'm not a "hater", I just really really think this subscription model is 2 steps backwards for gaming (think quarters at the arcade).

delirin

So where in there says anything about elite weapons being stronger? It doesnt.

GameSpy: Conversely, does that mean Elite players will always gank non-Elite players?

Bill Roper: We haven't done a ton of PvP, as PvP isn't a focus for our game. We'll have Arenas and PvP stuff, but the game is predominantly co-op focus. We know that players like to play each other and test themselves. On the situation of two similar-level guys, but the Elite has better gear, I don't know how much you'd run into that. We just don't see the situation where a level 30 Elite kicks the crap out of a level 30 normal. With the randomized loot system, Elite gear doesn't automatically mean "better," it's just "different." There could be a normal drop that's better than Elite.

We want players to see an Elite guy and be like "Wow, where did you get that thing?"An example conversation could be, "I didn't know Cabalists can equip swords," "well, normally they don't, but I'm an Elite and I did this quest to get this special sword." The sword might not technically be better, but it's different and cool. It's not necessarily about becoming an Elite to be better than everyone else, it's more about exploring and unlocking different c.lass and builds and areas. It's the difference between "I kind of want to make an Aura-based Guardian build" for normal and an Elite saying "oh, with these Elite drops, I can totally make an Aura-spec Guardian." Bill roper Interview

Now, i might be blind here, but that seems an awful lot like an exmaple of an elite-only weapon that doesnt shift the balance of power to the subscriber. Its for subscribers only, Its definitely a weapon non-subscribers can get, and its not even a better weapon than what a templar can wield.

So please, please, please show a link with no ambiguity from the developers themselves saying something like my link did that elite weapons WILL be statistically better than what non-elite members will find.

Im begging you.

Is there any other misconception about this game that you'd like for me to clear, so as to stop you from spreading further misinformation?

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

delirin

I stopped reading at "rip your posts apart". You really would be better off not saying anything, I think an arrogant wall of text will do your side more harm then good in any argument.

I have an opinion, I haven't lied.. splitting hairs isn't going to change that, nor are insults or arrogant statements going to disprove it.

edit: rewrite because gamespy hates me and decides to delete my text

You stated things that were untrue...ie...lying. I already disproved everything you said, dodging it will offer you nothing. And of course you stopped reading...otherwise you would have to comes to terms with the fact that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. That just about everything you said was either flatout wrong, a gross generalization, or an exaggeration.

Nothing to do with splitting hairs, you have outright made claims that were completely and utterly false.

Also, have your opinion for all I care, just know it is based on misinformation ;)

"You know I would actually respect you if you expressed your opinions(or facts whatever you call them) decently, but you do it completely insulting and trying to mock whoever doesn't agree with you.Shows what kind of person you must be in real life, really."

#1 Dont care if you respect me...get enough of that at home, from friends,and in the work place.

#2 Has nothing to do with "agreeing" with me, this is not a matter of opinion. This is a matter of his blatent misrepresentation of the facts, and spreading misinformation. He can hate the game and tell me it will suck all day and it wouldn't bother me. But when he starts spouting out garbage that is not true, I will correct him.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 delirin

[QUOTE="delirin"]A source that isn't my ass: http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81122&postcount=301

I'm not a "hater", I just really really think this subscription model is 2 steps backwards for gaming (think quarters at the arcade).

XaosII

So where in there says anything about elite weapons being stronger? It doesnt.

GameSpy: Conversely, does that mean Elite players will always gank non-Elite players?

Bill Roper: We haven't done a ton of PvP, as PvP isn't a focus for our game. We'll have Arenas and PvP stuff, but the game is predominantly co-op focus. We know that players like to play each other and test themselves. On the situation of two similar-level guys, but the Elite has better gear, I don't know how much you'd run into that. We just don't see the situation where a level 30 Elite kicks the crap out of a level 30 normal. With the randomized loot system, Elite gear doesn't automatically mean "better," it's just "different." There could be a normal drop that's better than Elite.

We want players to see an Elite guy and be like "Wow, where did you get that thing?"An example conversation could be, "I didn't know Cabalists can equip swords," "well, normally they don't, but I'm an Elite and I did this quest to get this special sword." The sword might not technically be better, but it's different and cool. It's not necessarily about becoming an Elite to be better than everyone else, it's more about exploring and unlocking different c.lass and builds and areas. It's the difference between "I kind of want to make an Aura-based Guardian build" for normal and an Elite saying "oh, with these Elite drops, I can totally make an Aura-spec Guardian." Bill roper Interview

Now, i might be blind here, but that seems an awful lot like an exmaple of an elite-only weapon that doesnt shift the balance of power to the subscriber. Its for subscribers only, Its definitely a weapon non-subscribers can get, and its not even a better weapon than what a templar can wield.

So please, please, please show a link with no ambiguity from the developers themselves saying something like my link did that elite weapons WILL be statistically better than what non-elite members will find.

Im begging you.

Is there any other misconception about this game that you'd like for me to clear, so as to stop you from spreading further misinformation?

Xaos, out of the several things I've mentioned you are focusing on this one small detail. Items WILL be better, flashier looking, more varied, I don't care by how much. You should also note the word "MIGHT" and it's use in the sentance you yourself felt the need to put in bold. He's saying ONE PARTICULAR WEAPON "might not be better, but it's different and cool." This does not say that some elite weapons won't be better, and regardless IMO more choices = better, more choices means more ways to use abilitys and/or tune your character no matter how you look at it. Again, you really are splitting hairs man and I'm done defending my position on item loot being better in the pay to play version of the game. Even if the items were exactly the same for elite and regular users, there are soo many aspects of this pricing structure that are just bad form.

In your own article it brings up things even more geared towards what I dislike about the pricing model... and that's how with elites "it's more about exploring and unlocking different c.lass and builds and areas." One thing this means if I really dig the game and sub and my friends aren't as into it as me and do not sub, they don't have the option of following me into the newer areas. This is a userbase split and IMO is only going to hurt the playerbase in the long run.

Again, I think the game looks cool. The single player might even make the game worth buying for most people, for me, I'm old and stubborn and will be avoiding this just on the principle that I really dislike pay to play games that aren't mmo's. 10 bucks isn't much, and really is only worth the value you give it... but it adds up. Gaming subscriptions are getting out of control, right now I pay 15 a month for my MMO, 10 a month for my 50 man vent server... and I've got a couple of games that would have me pay 10 bucks a month for "Games for windows: Live" to play multiplayer, and now a casual hack and slash rpg that wants another 10 a month for... enhanced multiplayer---- no thanks. Again, I am drawing the line and refuse to let my computer turn into a glorified slot machine.

To me it simply feels like a subscription for the sake of a subscription and it isn't enough for me, it is impossible that the game is that good, and I'm going to tell the developers how I feelin not buying the game. IF this is the game you've been waiting for for xx years, I'm sure you will and hope you enjoy it. Too many quality games coming out this fall for me to waste time on this, so yeah, I can avoid it on principle and not loose sleep ;)

@dnuggs you're just arrogant and ignorant and I'm done trying to have a conversation with you, have fun arguing with yourself.

*edited to respace text.. gamespot hates me. If anyone knows why gamespot mashes my text together.. or how to avoid it msg me plz.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XaosII

You should also note the word "MIGHT" and it's use in the sentance you yourself felt the need to put in bold. He's saying ONE PARTICULAR WEAPON "might not be better, but it's different and cool." This does not say that some elite weapons won't be better, and regardless IMO more choices = better, more choices means more ways to use abilitys and/or tune your character no matter how you look at it. Again, you really are splitting hairs man and I'm done defending my position on item loot being better in the pay to play version of the game. Even if the items were exactly the same for elite and regular users, there are soo many aspects of this pricing structure that are just bad form. delirin

The very same response says: "Elite gear doesn't automatically mean "better," it's just "different." There could be a normal drop that's better than Elite."

Im going to assume the counter argument will be focusing on "could." Frankly, i think, THATS splitting hairs. There hasnt been any kind of indicator saying otherwise. The question asked by Gamespy was very direct "Will elite players overpower nonelite players." Flagship's answer was no, and gave examples on what the kinds of things can you expect out of an elite item.

In your own article it brings up things even more geared towards what I dislike about the pricing model... and that's how with elites "it's more about exploring and unlocking different c.lass and builds and areas." One thing this means if I really dig the game and sub and my friends aren't as into it as me and do not sub, they don't have the option of following me into the newer areas. This is a userbase split and IMO is only going to hurt the playerbase in the long run.delirin

Possibly, yet how is this any different than existing games? An expansion that you have and your friends dont wont let your friends in the same area. Annoyingly enough its already like that for MMO's on top of monthly fees. Guild Wars does the same in segmenting players, though i rarely hear complaints about it. Your friends not being as much into the game as you while you own every expansion will still pose the same issue, regardless of the game.

Again, I think the game looks cool. The single player might even make the game worth buying for most people, for me, I'm old and stubborn and will be avoiding this just on the principle that I really dislike pay to play games that aren't mmo's.delirin

Thats fine. The developers have provided free multiplayer for just that same reason that some people arent willing to pay. If you still plan to pass the game up despite the free multiplayer, then do so. No one's pointing a gun to my head or yours.

To me it simply feels like a subscription for the sake of a subscription and it isn't enough for me,delirin

This, i find a bit odd. I can understand how you choose not to buy the game or subscribe based on the principle of pay-to-play, but you say that the subscription doesnt seem to provide enough value for you to consider getting it as it "feels like a subscription for the sake of a subscription." So if the subscription doesnt hold enough value to you to subscribe, why is it an issue at all? It sounds like its not providing anything worth it for you.

Also, if you'd like, i'd be fine with discussing your other points in arguments in previous threads instead of just the loot. I have, unfortunately, plenty of time as i've yet to recieve my beta access key (*sigh*) from my pre-order for this game.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 delirin

Man this thread is getting hard to decipher... but I'm up and am burnt out on TF2 so here goes ;)

Im going to assume the counter argument will be focusing on "could." Frankly, i think, THATS splitting hairs. There hasnt been any kind of indicator saying otherwise. The question asked by Gamespy was very direct "Will elite players overpower nonelite players." Flagship's answer was no, and gave examples on what the kinds of things can you expect out of an elite item. XaosII

What's splitting hairs imo is that my statement about items being bettter was singled out. When I innitially contributed to this thread I said "better items", it was a very small post.apparently those with opinions that differ from mine would have rather I said something to the effect of "Weapons that will be different, allow for more specialization and be fancier looking than those available to non subscriber players." Personally, I don't see the differance. I also think it's just common sense that if you pay... you'll get better stuff. I also think it's common sense that (refering to your article here) when asked in an interview if paying subscribers are going to have an advantage, a developer is going to say "no" and try to make both sides look appealing to potential buyers.... but of course, I'm rambling here and getting into (educated) speculation.

An expansion that you have and your friends dont wont let your friends in the same area. Annoyingly enough its already like that for MMO's on top of monthly fees. Guild Wars does the same in segmenting players, though i rarely hear complaints about it. Your friends not being as much into the game as you while you own every expansion will still pose the same issue, regardless of the game. XaosII

The difference is that an expansion isn't a commitment. An expansion isn't going to take money from my credit card every single month. I prefer the Guild wars method, and in general think that it is a bigger issue here because at the foundation level the playerbase is split... rather then across many months to a year or so.

Thats fine. The developers have provided free multiplayer for just that same reason that some people arent willing to pay. If you still plan to pass the game up despite the free multiplayer, then do so. No one's pointing a gun to my head or yours.XaosII

Obviously no one is making anyone play this or any game (unless they are a demented freak, of course..(dnuggs maybe?)). It's a hook though, and it'll be in your face as a standard free player constantly on multiplayer servers that you are playing a lesser version of the service. Agree with me or not, the power of suggestion is not minute and will impact how much a person enjoys his game. Sure, you can tough it out... but admit it or not, it'll be there. I simply don't want to support this in a game I'm going to play.

This, i find a bit odd. I can understand how you choose not to buy the game or subscribe based on the principle of pay-to-play, but you say that the subscription doesnt seem to provide enough value for you to consider getting it as it "feels like a subscription for the sake of a subscription." So if the subscription doesnt hold enough value to you to subscribe, why is it an issue at all? It sounds like its not providing anything worth it for you.

Also, if you'd like, i'd be fine with discussing your other points in arguments in previous threads instead of just the loot. I have, unfortunately, plenty of time as i've yet to recieve my beta access key (*sigh*) from my pre-order for this game. XaosII

I think everything I've said to this point does well enough at illustrating exactly why it's an issue. I'll elaborate though... I just think the subscription was tacked on as an afterthought... and interviews from may that illustraited that they weren't actually sure how they were going to seperate users made this even more clear. It's just an effort to try to wedge in to the MMO subscription pie. That's what I mean by subscription for the sake of subscription.

If I felt they were offering something substantial... ie a real persistant world that wasn't client-server instance based, I might consider paying.This is where I think you misunderstand me, because I have no problem with subscription fees... if I feel they are justified. When a new product steps on the market and charges a subscription fee for items that are traditionally offered for free, I just have to step away from the herd. Even though this game is due to be a success, I am not going to contribute to that success.

Okay, for a final note... I love games like diablo I and II, titans quest, and guild wars... (and I'm assuming I'd like hellgate too). But the thing about hack and slash games for me is that it's easy to burn out on the ****after a few weeks. The good thing about guild wars and diablo ****games for me is that I can just pick em up and play even if I haven't touched them in ages. With Hellgate's pay scheme... that's one more thing deterring me from doing so, of course I don't have to... but there's that hook and of course I'll want to.

MetallicA53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MetallicA53
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

Hey,

I know that Elite players get more weapons, monsters quest ect, but will the free players get updates like that over time?

Sorry if this has been answered already. Thanks.

ShadyJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 ShadyJade
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

I've been watching some trailers of this game and saw some interviews and i really don't like this game....It's gonna be full of monotony and 100000 of monsters with few npc's and the story i think will suck.I hope i'm wrong cause i really need a good RPG but from what i've seen i'm telling you not to get delusional about this game.NWN 2 :Mask of the Betrayer is what i'm waiting for that won't let me down i'm sure.

Jade,

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

I've been watching some trailers of this game and saw some interviews and i really don't like this game....It's gonna be full of monotony and 100000 of monsters with few npc's and the story i think will suck.I hope i'm wrong cause i really need a good RPG but from what i've seen i'm telling you not to get delusional about this game.NWN 2 :Mask of the Betrayer is what i'm waiting for that won't let me down i'm sure.

Jade,

ShadyJade
Well I'm not really expecting a deep RPG experience with Hellgate, afterall it is an action-RPG like Diablo which imo has nothing to do with the likes of Kotor or NWN.
vietmartyr309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vietmartyr309
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts
Why can't we just all get along?
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dnuggs40

"@dnuggs you're just arrogant and ignorant and I'm done trying to have a conversation with you, have fun arguing with yourself."

It's not me running around spreading baloney about things he has no idea about...everything I have said is fact, unlike you. I think you fail to understand the deffinition of ignorant ;)

But no matter, I think we will all be glad not to have a whiney reactionalist crying about every aspect of the game while online. Thank the heavens!

And the only reason I got a little angry is becuase this must be the 50th time I have corrected this same ignorant misinformation from people just like you. All you have to do is actually open your eyes and read, yet you can't even be bothered to do that, instead, you just spread around heresay and baloney.

Anyways, glad I wont see you in game!

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#49 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Man this thread is getting hard to decipher... but I'm up and am burnt out on TF2 so here goes ;)

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

Im going to assume the counter argument will be focusing on "could." Frankly, i think, THATS splitting hairs. There hasnt been any kind of indicator saying otherwise. The question asked by Gamespy was very direct "Will elite players overpower nonelite players." Flagship's answer was no, and gave examples on what the kinds of things can you expect out of an elite item. delirin

What's splitting hairs imo is that my statement about items being bettter was singled out. When I innitially contributed to this thread I said "better items", it was a very small post.apparently those with opinions that differ from mine would have rather I said something to the effect of "Weapons that will be different, allow for more specialization and be fancier looking than those available to non subscriber players." Personally, I don't see the differance. I also think it's just common sense that if you pay... you'll get better stuff. I also think it's common sense that (refering to your article here) when asked in an interview if paying subscribers are going to have an advantage, a developer is going to say "no" and try to make both sides look appealing to potential buyers.... but of course, I'm rambling here and getting into (educated) speculation.

An expansion that you have and your friends dont wont let your friends in the same area. Annoyingly enough its already like that for MMO's on top of monthly fees. Guild Wars does the same in segmenting players, though i rarely hear complaints about it. Your friends not being as much into the game as you while you own every expansion will still pose the same issue, regardless of the game. XaosII

The difference is that an expansion isn't a commitment. An expansion isn't going to take money from my credit card every single month. I prefer the Guild wars method, and in general think that it is a bigger issue here because at the foundation level the playerbase is split... rather then across many months to a year or so.

Thats fine. The developers have provided free multiplayer for just that same reason that some people arent willing to pay. If you still plan to pass the game up despite the free multiplayer, then do so. No one's pointing a gun to my head or yours.XaosII

Obviously no one is making anyone play this or any game (unless they are a demented freak, of course..(dnuggs maybe?)). It's a hook though, and it'll be in your face as a standard free player constantly on multiplayer servers that you are playing a lesser version of the service. Agree with me or not, the power of suggestion is not minute and will impact how much a person enjoys his game. Sure, you can tough it out... but admit it or not, it'll be there. I simply don't want to support this in a game I'm going to play.

Also, if you'd like, i'd be fine with discussing your other points in arguments in previous threads instead of just the loot. I have, unfortunately, plenty of time as i've yet to recieve my beta access key (*sigh*) from my pre-order for this game. XaosII

I think everything I've said to this point does well enough at illustrating exactly why it's an issue. I'll elaborate though... I just think the subscription was tacked on as an afterthought... and interviews from may that illustraited that they weren't actually sure how they were going to seperate users made this even more clear. It's just an effort to try to wedge in to the MMO subscription pie. That's what I mean by subscription for the sake of subscription.

If I felt they were offering something substantial... ie a real persistant world that wasn't client-server instance based, I might consider paying.This is where I think you misunderstand me, because I have no problem with subscription fees... if I feel they are justified. When a new product steps on the market and charges a subscription fee for items that are traditionally offered for free, I just have to step away from the herd. Even though this game is due to be a success, I am not going to contribute to that success.

Okay, for a final note... I love games like diablo I and II, titans quest, and guild wars... (and I'm assuming I'd like hellgate too). But the thing about hack and slash games for me is that it's easy to burn out on the ****after a few weeks. The good thing about guild wars and diablo ****games for me is that I can just pick em up and play even if I haven't touched them in ages. With Hellgate's pay scheme... that's one more thing deterring me from doing so, of course I don't have to... but there's that hook and of course I'll want to.

I spent last weekend at a wine festival. The general admission includes a gift package, free wine glass, andfree wine tasting to everyone that attends. I spent the extra $150 to get the VIP pass which meant that the wineries came to me in a covered tent area, parking close to the festival, private bathrooms, and the culinary institute had chefs there making food for us (plus special seating at music venues).Your complaintis like general admission people not attending the festival because people like me are willing to spend money on a better experience. I had my advantages, and I paid for them. Such is business... if there are people willing to pay more for a better experience thenfree marketwill provide that experience.

What you need to realize is that the gaming generation that were alive when the first consoles came out are adults with money now. The gaming industry knows this. You can fight it, but all you're going to succeed in doing is missing out on the free wine and great games. You will never get enough people to say "no" to actually make a difference.

By the way, if you are burned out on TF2 and you loved TFC... try Fortress Forever. It was just released as well (HL2 mod)

Lu_Shen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lu_Shen
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts

[QUOTE="Veterngamer"]okay.... so 3 main classes... and then 3 ways to go for specializing them.... okay... not bad, thats enough for me.... as long as the game has legs.... aka.... MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CONTENT (FUN CONTENT) & LoOT!koza_76

Hmmm, there are 3 factions and 2 clases for each. So it's a total of six. However flagship studios did say there will be more classes available as the game progresses. They will add them in updates and the such.

Shortly after the game releases there will be a new class added that can transform into a demon. I forgot the name.