Headset suggestions mostly for PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

Can you guys help me, I already have a good PC that'll run BF3 on Max I hope... Now I need a good headset, but what should I get?

I'm thinking of

TurtleBeach Earforce Z6AI really want this, but I doubt I could use it on my PS3...

and

TurtleBeach Earforce PX21I might pick this one although I think the Z6A is a better choice since I'm not playing my PS3 anymore.

Why I picked TurtleBeach? because I don't know what the good headsets are and most of my friends use Turtlebeach and they said it's really awesome.

I would take any brands though aslong as they're better/par..

I also don't have a dedicated Soundcard and this is my motherboardnot planning on buying a soundcard though :

blakostructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 blakostructor
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts

Why I picked TurtleBeach? because I don't know what the good headsets are and most of my friends use Turtlebeach and they said it's really awesome.

_VenomX

Your friends don't know much about audio if they think Turtlebeach is awesome, read the headphone FAQ in this forum to learn more. My advice is to not get a headset (especially surround sound headsets) and instead get headphones.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _VenomX

[QUOTE="_VenomX"]

blakostructor

Your friends don't know much about audio if they think Turtlebeach is awesome, read the headphone FAQ in this forum to learn more. My advice is to not get a headset (especially surround sound headsets) and instead get headphones.

I already read the FAQS, thing is it's too much for me to take :(. I need a headset because I can't use a surround speakers while playing everybody will be sleeping by that time... I don't have anychoices :S
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I would wait for that Z6A to come out. And if its anything like the HPX headset, then its going to be a fantastic headset for gaming. Are you looking for a headset or headphones ? Another good one but a bit over rated is the Sennheiser HD 595/555. I found it to be an excellent for music. But for gaming I found them to be very neutral, they dont really excel in any one aspect, but they are not bad by anymeans. The best I can discrive the headphones is you get very cirsp clean audio. The HD 555/595 can be had for around $90/150 and you would use them with a clip on mic. You also need any decent sound card to power them as I would not recommend using the on board sound. Another good one that I have heard good things about is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Though I have not tried them myself I have read a lot of good things about them by gamers. One in particular the sound stage. These too are are rather cheap and can be had for about $85-90.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _VenomX

I don't know the difference between headsets and headphones Ha-Ha :P. sure I will wait for the Z6A, and how much would a sound card would cost me.. I doubt I could get a good headphone/set if I buy a soundcard..

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Audio Technica M50s brah

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Something like the ASUS Xonar DS will be fine for gaming. It will set you back $50 though.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _VenomX

Audio Technica fits what I like perfectly since I would use it for my guitar also! thanks man..let me see if $150 would be fine. so far it looks epic

btw the sound card will it be fine if I'll get it later?

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#9 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
I already read the FAQS, thing is it's too much for me to take :(. I need a headset because I can't use a surround speakers while playing everybody will be sleeping by that time... I don't have anychoices :S_VenomX
Which part(s) did you not understand or have trouble absorbing? Was it not organized intuitively? Your feedback helps me improve the headphone FAQ. Thank you, Boz
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _VenomX
[QUOTE="_VenomX"]I already read the FAQS, thing is it's too much for me to take :(. I need a headset because I can't use a surround speakers while playing everybody will be sleeping by that time... I don't have anychoices :SBozanimal
Which part(s) did you not understand or have trouble absorbing? Was it not organized intuitively? Your feedback helps me improve the headphone FAQ. Thank you, Boz

Don't worry the FAQ list is really great, its just english is my second language, and I'm having trouble reading wall of text.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bozanimal
Don't worry the FAQ list is really great, its just english is my second language, and I'm having trouble reading wall of text._VenomX
I'm sure you're not the only ESL User here at Gamespot. Let me know which areas were the most difficult, and I'll take a look at simplifying them and cleaning up the language, or condensing it into little TL/DR segments. ;) Boz
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _VenomX

Boz, What are the difference between On-Ear and Over-The-Ear Headsets. I tried looking it up, is it the earmuffs?

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Sounds like another way of referring to supra-aural (on the ear) and circumaural (around the ear) headphones, respectively. I don't understand the resistance to getting a sound card is about, though. Motherboard audio jacks tend to introduce some bothersome line noise that's not present on any sound card worth its salt, and...wait, your motherboard lacks PCI slots, which means the Xonar DG is right out and you'll have to spring for one of the more expensive PCIe cards. Guess you'll have to save that for later if you want some of the more expensive headphones. As for headphone options, I can only vouch for the AD700s seeing as I own a set, but there's at least one or two recommendations for the Superlux HD668B, HD681F, and/or Samson SR850 (that last one being a rebadged Superlux OEM model) specifically for gaming (great soundstage and imaging), with a sound signature that's apparently bassier than the AD700s (as if that's hard to accomplish). More importantly, they're only around US$40-50 shipped and said to be a steal at that price, but that's here in the States. I have no idea how much they'd sell for up in Canada.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bozanimal

Boz, What are the difference between On-Ear and Over-The-Ear Headsets. I tried looking it up, is it the earmuffs?

_VenomX

On-ear basically rests flat against your ears, while over-the-ears completely envelopes your ears.

Examples
On-ear: Grado Prestige SR-60i
Over-Ear: Sennheiser HD555

Boz

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _VenomX
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Sounds like another way of referring to supra-aural (on the ear) and circumaural (around the ear) headphones, respectively. I don't understand the resistance to getting a sound card is about, though. Motherboard audio jacks tend to introduce some bothersome line noise that's not present on any sound card worth its salt, and...wait, your motherboard lacks PCI slots, which means the Xonar DG is right out and you'll have to spring for one of the more expensive PCIe cards. Guess you'll have to save that for later if you want some of the more expensive headphones. As for headphone options, I can only vouch for the AD700s seeing as I own a set, but there's at least one or two recommendations for the Superlux HD668B, HD681F, and/or Samson SR850 (that last one being a rebadged Superlux OEM model) specifically for gaming (great soundstage and imaging), with a sound signature that's apparently bassier than the AD700s (as if that's hard to accomplish). More importantly, they're only around US$40-50 shipped and said to be a steal at that price, but that's here in the States. I have no idea how much they'd sell for up in Canada.

I read the reviews they look great, but I also forgot that I need a mic(detachable would be awesome). But if I sont have any choices left, I'm going to pick one of those guys. You caught that pci slot on my MB nice find. That means saving for a better sound card Thanks.:) @Boz Thanks alot, I googled it but can't find clear answers. Thank you :)
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _VenomX

Is this one good?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mozelleple112

Is this one good?

_VenomX
No. If you save up 20-30 dollars you get Audio Technica M50s or get Sennheiser 595s/Audio Technica AD700s for less than those Trittons. Trittons just isn't good.
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _VenomX
[QUOTE="_VenomX"]

Is this one good?

Mozelleple112
No. If you save up 20-30 dollars you get Audio Technica M50s or get Sennheiser 595s/Audio Technica AD700s for less than those Trittons. Trittons just isn't good.

I'm thinking of getting M50. I could pick it up for $125 at ebay
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bozanimal

TheAudio Technica ATH-AD700 is probably closer to your budget once you factor in the cost of a microphone. Check out the recommendations in the sticky and weigh the pros and cons of various designs in your price range.

As for mics, there are two viable options:

1. Zalman ZM-Mic1 (inexpensive, easy, good quality)
  2. Labtec LVA7330 (more expensive, requires minor modifications, higher quality; EBay, baby!)

Each has pros and cons, though if you're Skyping with friends and family a lot the boom mic will work better.

Just be sure to factor it into your budget.

Happy gaming,

Boz

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _VenomX

That is awesome, Isn't the M50s better then the ATH-AD700?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mozelleple112

That is awesome, Isn't the M50s better then the ATH-AD700?

_VenomX
Yes they are but they Boz assumes they are out of your budget as you'll need to buy a mic to attach to the cord of the headphones (e.g. zalman clip-on) The M50s will definitely sound better in music and have MUCH deeper bass. If that's worth the extra money (About 35 dollars more) then go for M50.
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _VenomX

I see I see, thank you I really apprieciate the help. If I ever ran out of budget or something I'll pick the ATH-AD700.

I more question, If I bought a Labtec LVA7330, DO I just need to put it on my headset?

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bozanimal

Yes they are but they Boz assumes they are out of your budget as you'll need to buy a mic to attach to the cord of the headphones (e.g. zalman clip-on)

The M50s will definitely sound better in music and have MUCH deeper bass. If that's worth the extra money (About 35 dollars more) then go for M50.Mozelleple112

Yes to all.
I see I see, thank you I really apprieciate the help. If I ever ran out of budget or something I'll pick the ATH-AD700.

I more question, If I bought a Labtec LVA7330, DO I just need to put it on my headset?_VenomX

The mod basically requires you detach the boom from the headset that comes with the Labtec LVA7330 and attach it to your headphones with something like Velcro. You can see an image of the mod here. You can also Google it for more detail.

I recommend velcro because I'm not a fan of permanent mods (i.e. super glue or epoxy). When you want to use the headphones for travel or a movie in private, you've got a boom stuck on the side.

Good luck!

Boz