Headphones/Headset for an immersive gaming experience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Leafboy102
Member since 2010 • 82 Posts

For computer use I'm forced to use Apple default earphones which by aren't bad but leave much to be desired especially in terms of how immersive my gaming experience is. They're also very open so sounds escape in. I don't want a speaker set-up (watching movies is with my home theather set up else where) so I was hoping that I could buy headphones/headset that block outside sounds and make me feel like I'm actually in the game. It seems that headsets simulate a better sound stage and directional sound ( or something along those lines) so I'm leaning towards those. This is for PC by the way but console capablity is a plus. I'd like it to be less than $100 but going a bit over is alright.I'm a bit more informed about headsets and it seems like the SteelSeries Siberia V2 USB(which includes a soundcard) and Razer Carcharias might be up my alley.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Headphone FAQ at the top of this board has tons of headphone suggestions for uses such as gaming at particular price ranges
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Don't purchase a headset or surround-sound headphones, get headphones + clip-on mic. I'd recommend not purchasing the ad700, seeing you care for immersion.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
Audio Technica AD700's with a clip-on mic would be your greatest option.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
So, let me get this straight: -You want isolation, meaning open-back headphones like the AD700 are right out. -You talk about "feeling like you're in the game", but that's a bit ambiguous. Some people want their heads thumped by explosions. Others feel immersed enough just from having the sensation of atmospheric, all-encompassing sound that you can pinpoint individual sound directions in. -You don't seem to have a sound card already, which means added expense to get the most out of those headphones. On top of the cleaner analog audio outputs that headphones will ruthlessly reveal any issues with, they also offer CMSS-3D Headphone (X-Fi) or Dolby Headphone (everything else), which is particularly important if you want directionality. If you could confirm/deny these statements, it would help people make better recommendations for you.
Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Leafboy102
Yup, I do want isolation. As for being in the game, the atmospheric sensation and being able to pinpoint sound direction is what I'm looking for. I do not have a sound card but it seems like I could easily purchase the Xonar DG for about 30~ dollars (I'm in the USA) putting the budget around $70 for the actual headphones instead I guess.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#8 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Yup, I do want isolation. As for being in the game, the atmospheric sensation and being able to pinpoint sound direction is what I'm looking for. I do not have a sound card but it seems like I could easily purchase the Xonar DG for about 30~ dollars (I'm in the USA) putting the budget around $70 for the actual headphones instead I guess.Leafboy102
You'll want a closed-back headphone. The JVC HARX700 or HARX900 are good options, as is the Audio Technica ATH-M30. The JVC's will be more comfortable, the Audio Technicas will have - arguably - better sound. The Xonar DG supports Dolby Headphone; so long as your game supports surround you should be good. Personally I'd go with the Xonar DG and the HARX900. Good luck, Boz
Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Leafboy102
That combination seems good. Thank you!
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I like my xonar DG, but i hate dolby headphone.

Razer carcharias is good though.

Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Leafboy102

I haven't bought anything yet, but I saw Sennheiser HD 280 Pro which apparently goes for 150 dollars msrp but it on sale at Newegg for 60. How are the 280's compared to the HARX900s and M30s?

EDIT: Sold out, haha :P

lamarwisneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lamarwisneski
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts

A system doesn't have that much sound that one can enjoy each and every beat of song or can not even heard gaming sounds clearly..And as I suppose I can't enjoy games without its sounds..Sound has effect which motivates you..So I prefer headphones for immersive gaming experience..

Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leafboy102
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but while looking at choices given in the thread. Customer feedback referenced that an open design would yield better quality. For $50-60 open headphones are there any that still provide the atmospheric sound I'm looking for, and would it be recommended I get that instead. I'm sure I can somehow make up for any outside noise.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#14 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but while looking at choices given in the thread. Customer feedback referenced that an open design would yield better quality. For $50-60 open headphones are there any that still provide the atmospheric sound I'm looking for, and would it be recommended I get that instead. I'm sure I can somehow make up for any outside noise.Leafboy102
This is silly. There are $2,000 open and closed-backed headphones. They are different designs with different pros and cons, but that does not include quality. There are high quality headphones of every variety; open, closed, on-ear, and in-ear. The top five over-ear headphones at Head-Fi include three open-back and two closed-back headphones. You specified that you wanted isolation, and for that you'll want closed-back to reduce external noises from invading your listening experience. Multiple respondents have concurred with this. You can do what you want, but I'd strongly recommend closed-back considering your criteria. Good luck, Boz
Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Leafboy102

Alright thank you for clarifying it up Boz :). Thank you everyone for all your input! The M30s' are on sale so it's the perfect time to jump :D.

EDIT: There was also the M40s for sale at the same price. Sorry for repeated questions, but should I get that instead? It appears to be the next in line in that series, at the same price, but not having much experience it's hard to determine if it's better.

Foamybrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Foamybrian
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

You'll have to decide whats more important to you: isolation or the best possible soundstage. From my own experience, open back headphones are the way to go if you want the absolute best soundstage in games. Closed headphones can have a fantastic sound stage but they tend to get edged out by comparable open designs in this area.

If you plan on gaming in a setting with low ambient noise, I'd just stick with the open back designs. If you live in an annoying neighborhood, closed backs would be your best bet.

Leafboy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Leafboy102

Definitively the best possible sound stage. I didn't know that they were on different sides of the see saw so I figured I could aim for both. A closed design would be only useful in certain situations as well, these aren't for a lot of public use and at home I'm far from the reaches of most sounds. So it looks like i'll be rebooting this thread: Headphones with a budget of $60 that a great sound stage, directional ques, atmosphere, and all that jazz I mentioned before.

(Choosing headphones is one heck of a buisness)