HD-TV LCD vs Rear Projection.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariohughes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mariohughes87
Member since 2004 • 736 Posts
Which type of TV is generally better all round, HD-TV LCD's or the various kinds of Rear / Back Projected TV ( CRT, LCD, DLP, SXRD, HD-ILA ETC). I have noticed that i can get a much larger Back Projected Set for a much lower price in comparison to LCD's, but i have not found many Uk available sites that have a large variety of them in stock. Any known websites that have a good selection? Also, any recommendations would be appreciated, considering that i have about a thousand to 12 hundred to spend in stirling (£).
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
[QUOTE="mariohughes87"]Which type of TV is generally better all round, HD-TV LCD's or the various kinds of Rear / Back Projected TV ( CRT, LCD, DLP, SXRD, HD-ILA ETC). I have noticed that i can get a much larger Back Projected Set for a much lower price in comparison to LCD's, but i have not found many Uk available sites that have a large variety of them in stock. Any known websites that have a good selection? Also, any recommendations would be appreciated, considering that i have about a thousand to 12 hundred to spend in stirling (£).

They are lower priced initially but most Projection TV's require a bulb changes every 2-3yrs and they cost between $200-$400 to be replaced. If that doesnt bother you then the only other drawback is viewing angle which is about 70 degrees on a projection whereas LCD screens have about a 178 degree viewing angle. You get intially more for your money, but their are added costs with projection tvs. LCD's cost nothing after the purchase but initially cost more for the equivalent size. If you do go with a projection TV go with DLP; they have the best picture quality to cost ratio
jellyman68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jellyman68
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

^^ What he said ^^
mariohughes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mariohughes87
Will DLP be future proof, in terms of 1080p compatability. Plus, why is there seemingly such little selection, at least from looking at quite a few major electronics websites.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cspiffo
Will DLP be future proof, in terms of 1080p compatability. Plus, why is there seemingly such little selection, at least from looking at quite a few major electronics websites.mariohughes87
DLP's are some of the cheapest 1080p sets around. I live in the US and I see these things everywhere. I dunno, maybe where you live they're not as prolific. One thing about DLP's is that they are large and can cost quite a bit in shipping. Maybe that's why you don't see as many available on the Web.
mariohughes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mariohughes87
What is the preference in terms of high-definition gaming ( Xbox 360), DLP OR LCD?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cspiffo
What is the preference in terms of high-definition gaming ( Xbox 360), DLP OR LCD?mariohughes87
I never liked the ideo of changing bulbs in my TV so I'd say go with a nice flat panell LCD. There are others on this site that swear by DLP though.
mariohughes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mariohughes87
Anyone from G.B able to recommend sites that have a good selection of Rear Projection sets for sale?
beardtm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 beardtm
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts
i got my 50" samsung dlp from prc direct.co.uk for under a grand