HDMI-DVI cable advice needed to hook my PS3 and my old CRT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

so I recently got a PS3 and I'd like to hook it up to my old 32" widescreen CRT tv(Toshiba 30HF83C) which has DVI.
Here's a pic of the back of my tv: http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8109/tvbackp.jpg

Thing is, I don't know which cable to get. Found these two on amazon.ca, one single and the other dual link I think:
1- http://www.amazon.ca/Exacon-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B0051U0MPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356563242&sr=8-2
2- http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-High-Speed-HDMI/dp/B000O5TFLQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356565658&sr=8-3

Also as far as the sound goes, I only need to plug the AV cables that came with the console right? or would I need something else?

Thanks for the help.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
HDMI, itself is capable of both audio and video in one cable and sometimes DVI to HDMI allows audio through. The PS3 itself should also allow 2 different outputs - 1 video and 1 audio - from the back with the right menu settings. For a while I used HDMI for video and rca (red and white) audio plugs until I decided to just use the HDMI - but my TV has HDMI without need of an adapter. My PC, however is using one of those adapter cables, yet I get audio through my TV speakers if I don't plug headphones in.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
It's not guaranteed to work...have myself an old HD CRT tv that has a DVI port but my PS3 isn't working with a hdmi\dvi cable....asked Sony and they said that only few other Sony products worked on dvi with that tv
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 laus_basic

It's not guaranteed to work...have myself an old HD CRT tv that has a DVI port but my PS3 isn't working with a hdmi\dvi cable....asked Sony and they said that only few other Sony products worked on dvi with that tvMonsieurX

well damn. Guess there's only way to find out, I'll get the cable and see if it works. Still don't know which one to get tho. I think either one will do the job(if it works). Read that dual link is needed for higher resolutions but that single link can go up to 1200p or something which is more than enough considering the PS3 goes no more than 1080p and most of the time it's below that.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Getting a CRT to play nice with a PS3 is kind of a crap shoot, it's probably worth the $80 just to buy a nice new flat panel...
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Unless it supports HDCP, which is required for PS3s using HDMI, it won't work.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
The main problem with HDMI and DVI is HDCP, which Sony stupidly enforces at all times with the PS3, even when you're just playing games. If your DVI port isn't HDCP-compliant, you get nothing. It'll probably be easier for you just to get some component cables (PS2 and PS3 use the same A/V port for that, so either works) and run that to your HDTV. You'll still get a nice, clear, vibrant HD image. As for sound, while HDMI might be preferable for that, I get by just fine using the Toslink/optical S/PDIF to my headphone surround processors (and our old A/V receiver which doesn't even have component video switching, let alone HDMI). If the HDTV still looks nice and works fine, why replace it? CRTs are still unmatched as gaming displays (which is kind of sad given how long they've been phased out), though I'm not sure I'd favor the CRT HDTVs nearly as much as professional monitors like the GDM-FW900 sitting right in front of me.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="General_X"]Getting a CRT to play nice with a PS3 is kind of a crap shoot.MonsieurX

Unless it supports HDCP, which is required for PS3s using HDMI, it won't work.

ChubbyGuy40
I was just about to say the same on this. I've heard it can be a headache due to the fact it's not really an output that's even consider w/ Sony for the PS3 [QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"] It'll probably be easier for you just to get some component cables (PS2 and PS3 use the same A/V port for that, so either works) and run that to your HDTV. You'll still get a nice, clear, vibrant HD image.

I'd frankly say this is more than likely your best bet. At least you don't have to question if it'll work b/c it's Sony's officially recognized other output options--besides HDMI---that will undoubtedly not fail you. And you probably already have those cables available so you (hopefully) shouldn't have to go out and buy them.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 laus_basic

Finally went with the hdmi-dvi cable. If it doesn't work, I'll still be able to plug it to my PC monitor and I'll eventually get the component cable.

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 laus_basic

Just thought I'd let people know that I finally got the cable and it worked like a charm. The picture is crisp(well, as crisp as a 1080i CRT display can be) and there doesn't seem to be any problems so far. :)