Haviing Problem with Copy, Pasting files in Windows 7.(Contains Screenshot)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

The Move and Replace option keeps coming up even if the files have different names, happened with a pair of files when copy pasting Deus Ex to another drive.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3646/ffhxm.png

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Hmmm seems a bit strange, I just tested this by renaming a picture copied it into another folder then copied a renamed one into the same folder and it went. The only thing I can think of is that 7 sees a size difference and it some how knows its the same thing or something but I'm not totally sure seems kind of strange actually.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shane_orija
Anybody else?
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shane_orija
Bump.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
if it is on the same drive it will move unless you right click and go copy paste, but if it is a different drive it should copy, try clicking copy paste if you are just dragging the files.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shane_orija

No luck plus I notcied this.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6784/dhrdjhs.png

WPxPaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 WPxPaladin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Alright:

1. Your first screen shot seems to indicate you are moving from location 1 to location 2 that's pretty much the same location. Where are you moving these files? I am not familar with that programs file structure so I am not to know if that file is meant to exist in both locations.
  2. Your second screenshot is nothing to be alarmed about. Libraries in Windows 7 often are a combination of more than a single location, notice at the top under where it says Documents Library that it includes two locations. More than likely you have that folder both in your local documents folder and the public documents folder, which by default are the two folders you would see.

For item one:

Outline for me where you are attempting to move items from and to. Example: C:\Users\Yourself\Documents\TheGame to C:\Games

For item two:

Check just to be sure that you have the folder in both locations with in the library. Right click on Documents on the right side, under libraries and choose properties. You will notice the two library locations, one being My Documents (C:\Users\%username%) and the second being the public documents. If you expand the document folder inside of the Libraries section you will see both folders. Mouse over Documents to display the semi transparent down arrow so you can see both folders contained in the Document Library.

My gut feeling says its simple procedural issue, not an an operating system flaw.

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shane_orija
Thanks for the reply. While at first I tried moving the Deus Ex folder from C;\My games to another drive (F:), It occured again when I tried to move the folder to C;\ Note that while the folder had been there in its original location with the sane files, doing a simple copy-paste of the entire folder to another drive resulted in the message coming up. For the second one, yea they are from two different locations.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
what are the two locations in your second pic. you could have two folders with the same name when the library consists of two different drives.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shane_orija
what are the two locations in your second pic. you could have two folders with the same name when the library consists of two different drives. imprezawrx500
Exactly, the directories for the two folders are different.