Have you guys been playing Path of Exile?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Just wondering if anyone here has starting playing Path of Exile now that it's fully released, and available on Steam. Anyone who's been playing it, how do you like it? If there's enough people here playing it, I'd like to get a good discussion going about the various unique systems of the game. If the ingame chat is any indication, there's still quite a bit of confusion (understandably so) about the skill and item systems. If anyone here is having trouble, we could make this something of an FAQ thread. I've been playing for quite a while, and I think I've got a pretty good grasp of how everything works. I'll answer any questions, if I can.

So yeah. Anyone else been gettin down on this super awesome free to play iso-ARPG?

takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts

Its pretty dope, but sometimes i feel like the passive tree is too much lol

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Once I get through a busy patch of school work I'm hoping to give it another shot. I enjoyed the time I spent with the beta, I just need to convince a couple friends to try it with me.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Game is seriously too addicting for me to play. Had to uninstall. Too similar to everything D2 did well.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_bi99man

@takeiteazy3: That's a common perception. Hahaha. It can be pretty daunting at first, but it starts to make a lot of sense, especially once you've played a few different classes, and see where each one starts. There actually is some rhyme and reason to it. =P

Just don't be too worried about it at first. A lot of new players make the mistake of trying to go for a really specific, powerful build, right off the bat. Ya really just gotta take it one level at time, grab passives that will help you immediately, and don't be worried about making a bad build that ends up worthless on the highest difficulties/endgame. Get more ambitious after you've leveled a few characters into the 30s, and get a better feel for the passive layout.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Yah, I started playing again. Did a ranger in the beta that was pure damage and got owned by one of the bosses. This time I'm doing a marauder and spending most of my passives into making me a bit tankier. I've having a lot more success this go around :)

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_bi99man

@Cwagmire21: That's a good idea. Marauder is pretty much made to be tanky. I've got a tank marauder in standard league, left over from beta, but I've been playing my new Scion since release. Class is sweet. I've made my Scion pretty similar to my Marauder actually, but with lots of intelligence and energy shield, too. A tank mage. Plays pretty great, but I think I'll have to party with faster characters for support in later difficulties.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

Never played the beta for long but I'm totally hooked on the launch release. I'm playing a templar and the active skills are awesome, I'm having a lot of fun with trying out every new gem and seeing how I can combine it with other skills to get its full use.

This game is amazing. One of the best ARPGs I've ever played and the fairest F2P model I've ever seen.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Early on It can be boorish...How ever once you get passed like lvl 10 to 18 it really picks up..The second act is awesome especially with friends..Ive been playing with easy an choson from gamestop..We have been having a ton of fun..If you guys care to join us where like lvl 26 atm..Feel free to add me to friends list..We also created a guild )..The tree is fun..How ever it took me awhile to figure out I wanted to dual wield..There many different paths you can choose as a warrior..

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Might try it after I've finished my exams, I've heard good things about and wanted to give it a go for a while

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I've been so busy with school, I just haven't had a chance to really check it out. In a few weeks, maybe!

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. From a design stand point, this game is much superior to Diablo 3.

Aparthide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aparthide
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

Yeah really enjoying it. That said I find the currency system to be overly complicated and think it's a pretty stupid thing to link it to crafting. I understand it prevents inflation but it makes crafting a pointless expensive activity.

Exiled_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Exiled_Paladin
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

To me it's a huge desync one shotting monsters with fail hardcore mode. Seriously what killed it for me was the desyncing and dcing at random times in hardcore mode to where I would just die. After beating it in all three difficulties I found it to be boring and repetitive. The only good thing it really had was it's passive tree that was a great system.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_bi99man

@Aparthide said:

Yeah really enjoying it. That said I find the currency system to be overly complicated and think it's a pretty stupid thing to link it to crafting. I understand it prevents inflation but it makes crafting a pointless expensive activity.

Have you done much crafting in the late game? Crafting is quite pointless early in the game, since crafting orbs (at least the most useful ones) are very hard to come by, and even if you use them and make something awesome, it'll be outclassed by random loot drop later on. But once you're in the late game (merciless difficulty, endgame maps and such), when you're not likely to just find stuff any better, the crafting is immensely important. Just spend the early game collecting orbs, building a stash. Then, when you've got really good, high-level base equipment to work, that's when you start crafting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

played it, liked the mechanics more than D3, but i still think it's boring. just click click click clickety click. i think i've had my lifetime dose of isometric action RPGs.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man

@groowagon said:

played it, liked the mechanics more than D3, but i still think it's boring. just click click click clickety click. i think i've had my lifetime dose of isometric action RPGs.

That's certainly understandable. I'm glad that I never seem to get tired of the genre. And the item and skill systems of Path of Exile make it feel so fresh, even though it still is, at its core, another point and click arpg.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Temped to install it but I know I get bored of Diablo style games really quickly.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@groowagon said:

Playing with a friend? The only way these games are meant to be played are with friends. Otherwise, like playing any game oriented for coop by yourself, will be a snoozefest.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

60 lvl marauder, this game fantastic, well was some crappy 2h axe build was die a lot, but after i changed on my 2handed mace build with HP usage, now i am owning on Merciless difficulty.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_bi99man

@uninspiredcup said:

Temped to install it but I know I get bored of Diablo style games really quickly.

You should give it a try. It is, on the surface, a Diablo style game, but the item crafting and skill systems are completely fresh and unique. And it's free. Nothing to lose.

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

The game is very nice but after they release it on Steam then I have alot of lag. I die all the time because of lag and playing online with people is almost unplayable for me sometime. So I stop for awhile. Hopefully they fix it in the next patch.

kramernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kramernic
Member since 2010 • 131 Posts

How's the story?

WaxTheTrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WaxTheTrip
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

This is one of those games that I had to stop playing because the lack of time. Very addicting game indeed.

It's really annoying sometimes that there are tons of superb games waiting for you to play, but there's not nearly enough hours in a day... :/

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts

very addicting, but the lag is annoying. character jumps into a huge mob and then I die...

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I occasionally play it for a couple of hours.It can be very addictive.

I got a huge backlog of really good games to play through though.

Exiled_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Exiled_Paladin
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

it still has horrible dysync.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@groowagon said:

Playing with a friend? The only way these games are meant to be played are with friends. Otherwise, like playing any game oriented for coop by yourself, will be a snoozefest.

i didn't try PoE with a friend, but i did play D3 with friends. it was definetly better that way, but i just lost interest pretty quickly. i used to play about every single action rpg in the 90's, so i don't know if that's it...

turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

The game is ridiculously fun and addictive. Started playing for the first time on Monday and initially I had the intention on playing with a "test" character that was supposed to be temporary, just so I could familiarize myself with the mechanics and such....A week later and I'm still playing with that "test" character that just hit level 18 last night on Nemesis League. That's how addictive it is. "Just one more level, just one more quest", is what's going through my head everytime I realize that it's time to call it a night after spending almost the entire day with my eyes glued to the monitor.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

I finally downloaded it from Steam a week ago, and I'm hooked on it.

I can't believe it's free.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

I just couldn't get into it like I did with Diablo II. It's mediocre IMHO.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Sure have,best action RPG in years.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Pretty solid game, the skill tree is awesome IMO, skills upgrading the more you use them is pretty sweet as well. I'd recommend to play it with a friend.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_bi99man

Good to hear there are plenty of people gettin into it. Game is way too good.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I've played it a bit and I'll go back to it occasionally. The gameplay isn't as good as Diablo 3's though. I thought D3 was more fun to play.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

I played with it in the Beta and found that I didn't enjoy the aesthetics of it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@groowagon said:

I agree. At least for me, the main reason why I kept playing Diablo 3 and had any sort of fun in it was because of co-op. Thanks to a couple of Gamespot members/friends I was able to get several hours of fun game time out of it. If I went at it "solo," it would have just been a bit of novel enjoyment but nothing else.

The art style is nice although it could have received more of a polish treatment. But that's probably due to the lack of funds, it being free-to-play and all. I wouldn't have mind paying $5-10 so they could have increased the production values. Other than that, I do like that it's dark and gritty, like the older Diablo games.

I like that they let us keep our beta characters but my paladin guy is a mere level 7. That's my highest character. If anyone that has a fresh new character and they'd like to group up.. hit me up on Steam. My steam id: Elann 2077. Cheers.

Megadrivemike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Megadrivemike
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Watched the review on here yesterday and downloaded it straight away! Should hopefully get a few hours spare tomorrow to try it

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

Can you go through the game solo or is mp mandatory? I tried the Beta, i didn't sit down well with me, has it improved since then? Also, is it easy to re-customize your character or once you set your skills that's it?

And since it's Free to Play, there has to be micro-transactions... does it offer an advantage or just passive items that doesn't really tip the scales?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Elann2008

@trastamad03 said:

Can you go through the game solo or is mp mandatory? I tried the Beta, i didn't sit down well with me, has it improved since then? Also, is it easy to re-customize your character or once you set your skills that's it?

And since it's Free to Play, there has to be micro-transactions... does it offer an advantage or just passive items that doesn't really tip the scales?

The free-to-play micro-transactions do not "tip the scales" sorta speak. It doesn't change the game at all. It's "just there." You can go through the game solo. Just don't join any parties on the sign-board. But I like how you can create your own party, put in a description like "anyone around my level can join up and quest!" and you'll get so many people joining from the main town hub.

The only thing I see a bit of an issue with is the tracking of other party members and such. If they are not in the same area, their potrait won't show up in the upper-left hand corner until you have entered your area. It requires a bit of communication to track each other down, but it's not a major gripe. Often, party members lose each other especially when you have 1-2 "speedsters" in the group that leave people behind.

As for improvements.. It has improvement a pretty good deal since beta. So far, I only know of "refund points" you get as a reward from quests you do. But they only refund a few points, not all of your points. I'm sure there's something on the micro-transaction store that allows you to fully respec but I cannot confirm that. On that note, it's pretty difficult to make a "mistake" on the passive skill tree. Most of the paths are very fair and they seem pretty balanced. You won't mess up your build so much if you cross over one path to experiment or what not.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I avoid most games that are F2P.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I have been playing it on and off since Alpha, but I keep getting bored of it rather fast. Desyncs and the bleugh combat can sadly not be fixed with friends and I have more fun theorycrafting builds than I have playing the game. On the bright side, theorycrafting builds is fun and the atmosphere is the best I have seen in this type of game since Diablo 2.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#43 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Are there any hippies in the game?

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

this games free? umm i may try it now

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By trastamad03

@Elann2008 said:

@trastamad03 said:

The free-to-play micro-transactions do not "tip the scales" sorta speak. It doesn't change the game at all. It's "just there." You can go through the game solo. Just don't join any parties on the sign-board. But I like how you can create your own party, put in a description like "anyone around my level can join up and quest!" and you'll get so many people joining from the main town hub.

The only thing I see a bit of an issue with is the tracking of other party members and such. If they are not in the same area, their potrait won't show up in the upper-left hand corner until you have entered your area. It requires a bit of communication to track each other down, but it's not a major gripe. Often, party members lose each other especially when you have 1-2 "speedsters" in the group that leave people behind.

As for improvements.. It has improvement a pretty good deal since beta. So far, I only know of "refund points" you get as a reward from quests you do. But they only refund a few points, not all of your points. I'm sure there's something on the micro-transaction store that allows you to fully respec but I cannot confirm that. On that note, it's pretty difficult to make a "mistake" on the passive skill tree. Most of the paths are very fair and they seem pretty balanced. You won't mess up your build so much if you cross over one path to experiment or what not.

Alright cool. I did try it out a bit, it was fun. What sucks is that you have to finish the game once to get the Scion... I just wanted to play with that character cause it was cool... I made a shadow and I'm finding the traps really fun to play with :D

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Downloading as we speak, as I'm interested to check it out considering it's free.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Elann2008

@trastamad03 said:

@Elann2008 said:

@trastamad03 said:

Alright cool. I did try it out a bit, it was fun. What sucks is that you have to finish the game once to get the Scion... I just wanted to play with that character cause it was cool... I made a shadow and I'm finding the traps really fun to play with :D

Yeah, the scion is pretty darn cool. With that class, it'll be easier to combine different combos from the passive skill tree because you start in the center. What level are you now? Personally, I find it incredibly addictive and I'm not too crazy about ARPGs. I just keep going back to it. I'm playing as a Ranger.

Nice interview with developer who knows what the f' he's talking about (SCION), with Gamespot.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 trastamad03

@Elann2008 said:

@trastamad03 said:

@Elann2008 said:

@trastamad03 said:

Yeah, the scion is pretty darn cool. With that class, it'll be easier to combine different combos from the passive skill tree because you start in the center. What level are you now? Personally, I find it incredibly addictive and I'm not too crazy about ARPGs. I just keep going back to it. I'm playing as a Ranger.

Nice interview with developer who knows what the f' he's talking about (SCION), with Gamespot.

I'm around level 7 or 8. I have to admit, it is fun, much more fun than D3.

I saw that interview and it's pretty much why I really want to play the Scion D:

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Just started a Witch...the passive tree is huge

If anyone wants to add me, Monsieur_X