Have LED/LCD TV's surpassed Plasma yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sruane23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sruane23
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I was just wondering if LED technology has surpassed the quality of Plasma yet? I know higher end Samsung LED's have achieved some pretty accurate coloring when properly calibrated but are there still issues with motion? Thanks.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

I was just wondering if LED technology has surpassed the quality of Plasma yet? I know higher end Samsung LED's have achieved some pretty accurate coloring when properly calibrated but are there still issues with motion? Thanks.

sruane23
All of the top awarded televisions last year were plasmas, so no. LED is getting there, but plasma still has the edge if all you want is picture quality. Perhaps LG's new OLED screen will be the leap, but it is said it will start at a price of $12,000, well out of the reach of most consumers.
sruane23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sruane23
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

[QUOTE="sruane23"]

Plagueless

All of the top awarded televisions last year were plasmas, so no. LED is getting there, but plasma still has the edge if all you want is picture quality. Perhaps LG's new OLED screen will be the leap, but it is said it will start at a price of $12,000, well out of the reach of most consumers.

Figures. I remember that small Sony OLED tv that looked great, soon enough the OLED tech will be more affordable, just hoping that we start to see improvement! (I'm not even sure we need improvement)

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Not even close. Plasmas have better color depth, better contrast, deeper blacks, and they handle motion a lot better. Panasonic plasmas are still the cream of the television crop.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Backlit LCD screens will pretty much never will be able to surpass plasmas as a whole at straight image quality, just due to the nature of how each technology works - OLED and such have a good shot at it once they become more mainstream, though!
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I LED tv's over plasmas.