AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 2993 Posts

I have multiple HDD's one with Win10, and the other with the KDE edition of Manjaro Linux, and 32GB of ram, on start up, Windows 10 uses 4GB of ram, and Linux uses 600MB. I'm really good at properly maintaining my PC, and have no real bulk installed, nothing starts with windows other than windows defender, and whatnot.

My Windows install is 2.5 years old, and my Linux install is 1.5 years old.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16225 Posts

Give Windows 10 more RAM, and it will use more RAM. It's pretty good about memory management. See, the thing is, unused RAM is useless. Windows will release it when necessary.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 2993 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: Oh, ok. I haven't used Windows in a while, and when I saw that, I was kinda stunned. Now I remember the thing about Vista being so bloated, but it was just managing RAM differently.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6159 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Give Windows 10 more RAM, and it will use more RAM. It's pretty good about memory management. See, the thing is, unused RAM is useless. Windows will release it when necessary.

I wish more people understood this. If Windows sees you have a lot of unused RAM, it's going to be more liberal with how much data it caches in RAM to increase performance.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15507 Posts

Linux distros also do the same thing.

Usually the figure reported in system monitor is the used memory.

But if you look at Htop it shows the cached Ram in orange. Currently on my system (Solus) around 5.5GB is in use (with some other things like firefox open) and nearly all of my 16GB of my ram is in Orange (Cached)

As other have said: this is generally an effective use of memory. Its better to leave things in RAM as much as possible since HDD/SSDs are relatively slow to fetch data from.

The strategy got a bit of a bad rap with its implementation in Vista. I think MS were just too aggressive with filling the ram that it would cause the HDD to thrash (especially bad on laptops) and led to longer booting times and a machine that felt unresponsive for quite a while after booting.

It's implementation in windows has greatly improved from 7 onwards.

On a side note: this also applies to phones/tablets. Task killer apps are generally a complete waste of time now.