Has anyone noticed any correlation in recent years between game file sizes and fidelity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Zuon
Zuon

485

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

Tell me I'm overthinking this all you want, but with games moving past the 20GB, 30GB, all the way up to the 70GB mark, I was hoping to hear everyone's theories, both experienced and inexperienced to game design, as to what takes up so much space, and what certain factors may affect the file size in general, such as open world games vs linear titles. ^^; Let's all have a bit of fun here.

Avatar image for flipin_jackass
flipin_jackass

9772

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

It's actually not the game files. Developers are secretly using your computer as a porn server.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
jun_aka_pekto

25254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts

I already saw 76 GB with X-Plane 9 back in 2009. Most of it is scenery for the whole world. I once had so many addons for Flight Simulator X, I had its folder size at 50+ GB at a time when most PC games never exceeded 10 GB.

Content and everything else take up space. There's no way around it. That said, 2 and 4 TB hard drives are relatively cheap.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

4939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Textures are usually very compressed and/or low res to match console standards so it's mostly uncompressed audio(which is waste) and worthless language files(an even bigger waste)

DOOM is the perfect example of this.80GB for a 5 hour game.

What a ginormous waste of time and space.Meanwhile a game like Fallout 4 that has 1000x the content is 1/4 the size.

Avatar image for Yams1980
Yams1980

3845

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3845 Posts

Yeah, Doom is a huge waste of space for the short game that it is. I do get digital games if i can see them cheap enough but for doom i'll have to wait for a physical disc of it to go on sale cause to download 60-80 gb on my crap internet would take me around a month and cost me about 80 dollars of over usage penalities. For a game that short, the value for myself would place it at 20-30 dollars, not that i care if i ever get it either since im not into fps games much anymore but would try it for a cheap enough price.

It'd also be nice if they'd offer different versions of the game to download like ones with compressed 1080p textures and below, and also options of ac3 or mp3 audio quality instead of uncompressed pcm or dts audio. I'm fine with playing a 5 hr game with mp3 quality sounds, i don't want to spend 80 dollars of bandwidth ontop of another 60+ dollars for the game for just a few hours of entertainment.

I also completely missed out on Rise of Tomb Raider at its release because of this also until several months later i found a UK import version of the game that had a physical release on pc. No idea at all why they didn't make a physical release in north america of a game with a file size that big. Not everyone has access to fast fibre internet or unlimited bandwidth.

Theres so much push to make everything digital yet not everyone doesn't has high enough quality internet to download games that are now 80gbs and rising... in a few more years games are going to be hitting easily 100+ gb as the norm.

Avatar image for urbangamez
urbangamez

3511

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

prolly caused by cutscenes and the inclusion of multiple audio languages

Avatar image for FelipeInside
FelipeInside

28548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Textures are usually very compressed and/or low res to match console standards so it's mostly uncompressed audio(which is waste) and worthless language files(an even bigger waste)

DOOM is the perfect example of this.80GB for a 5 hour game.

What a ginormous waste of time and space.Meanwhile a game like Fallout 4 that has 1000x the content is 1/4 the size.

Why is language files a waste? Aren't people that don't speak English allowed to play games in their own language? What needs to happen is have the option of installing what language you want (some games have that).

As for Fallout 4, it's using an old engine and to be honest doesn't hold up that great today and is buggy, hence why it's a small install.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
jun_aka_pekto

25254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts

Doom 5 hours? It took me well over 30 hours, probably closer to 40 hours.

The guy who did the 5-hr run is called Zero Master. If you're as good as him, let's see you post a video doing your own 5-hr run.

Most players are probably like me who stumble my way across each level, finding anything that'll help build up my health and ammo capacity because there's something worse and nastier up ahead.

Avatar image for Gammit10
Gammit10

2397

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@ShepardCommandr said:

Textures are usually very compressed and/or low res to match console standards so it's mostly uncompressed audio(which is waste) and worthless language files(an even bigger waste)

DOOM is the perfect example of this.80GB for a 5 hour game.

What a ginormous waste of time and space.Meanwhile a game like Fallout 4 that has 1000x the content is 1/4 the size.

Why is language files a waste? Aren't people that don't speak English allowed to play games in their own language? What needs to happen is have the option of installing what language you want (some games have that).

That would be cool

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

14095

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 0

#10 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 14095 Posts

I don't think the huge jump in game install size has directly translated into higher fidelity visuals. It seems like many developers have gotten lazy now that we have more memory on both consoles and PC. There is less of a need to use as many compression techniques.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
the_bi99man

11465

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Doom 5 hours? It took me well over 30 hours, probably closer to 40 hours.

The guy who did the 5-hr run is called Zero Master. If you're as good as him, let's see you post a video doing your own 5-hr run.

Most players are probably like me who stumble my way across each level, finding anything that'll help build up my health and ammo capacity because there's something worse and nastier up ahead.

I'm 8 hours into Doom and on like the third or fourth level. I'm exploring and trying to collect stuff because I see speed runs as pointless.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
FelipeInside

28548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BassMan said:

I don't think the huge jump in game install size has directly translated into higher fidelity visuals. It seems like many developers have gotten lazy now that we have more memory on both consoles and PC. There is less of a need to use as many compression techniques.

It's not just visuals either, it's mostly CONTENT.

Take an open world game for example 20 years ago compared to now where you have a huge map with lots of assets and things going on on TOP of the better visuals. Then you have most games using full audio dialogue, plenty more gameplay varieties, higher grade cutscenes etc etc.

It all adds up.

Avatar image for thereal25
thereal25

2050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#13 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2050 Posts

With 4k on the horizon, we'll prolly see games requiring over 100 gigs.