Has anyone experienced computer freezing without BSOD?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Basically, I put in a new Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard.  After overclocking my CPU, in normal use, my system would freeze on the desktop.  I cannot move the mouse cursor, or alt+enter+del+ctrl.  Requires the press of the reboot button, sometimes, hard shutdown.   This happens anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours of use.  It's very random.  

I've done the following to check for stability in the following areas:

• Checked if CPU overclock is stable with 5 different tests of Prime95 for 24 hours, each time.  All pased, no stops.
  • Swapped out GTX 670 with my old GTX 580 to see if the cause was my GPU.
  • Swapped out RAM with another pair of RAM sticks.  
  • CPU cooler is seated properly (never had this issue in my life) so I'm 100% certain of this.
  • Temps are excellent, lowest it has ever been for any build I've done.
  • All cables are snugged in, triple-checked.
  • No broken or bent pins.
  • All drivers for motherboard for up to date from website.
  • BIOS is updated to most recent update.
  • MEMTEST, passed, no errors.
  • Diagnostic Memory Test, passed, no errors.
  • Chk Disk - both HDD's, no issues.
  • Turned off all power saving options for full performance.  Although, I've never had any issues in the past running with a more ecco-friendly power option mode in windows and BIOS setups.  This would be odd, but I tried it anyways.
  • Audio drivers are up to date.
  • Onboard Audio and Video are disabled.
  • LAN drivers up to date.
  • While using Event Viewer, no errors or critical errors are showing up.  It's clean.
  • Registry, defrag, spybot, malware, you name it.  I've done it.
  • Tested with my other MSI motherboard and everything is stable, even with an overclock.  
  • PSU checks out, doesn't cause freezing while tested with other motherboard and I've used my Corsair PSU on two different builds with no issues.  
  • I've tried RAM at different timings, set manually, according to advertised speeds and voltage.  Even tried XMP profile.
  • I've tried different video drivers for GTX 670.

I just need some experts here to solve this mystery.  Or maybe it's not much of a mystery, and it's just a faulty motherboard.  I'm already in the process of returning this motherboard and getting a new one.  In the meantime, Amazon.com has been awesome enough to already ship one right now as we speak.  I'll have the motherboard for one more night for more testing, even though I don't seem to have much more to test.  Maybe I left something out.  I'll be shipping this MOBO back tomorrow to Amazon.com

To be honest, I've never had a single issue overclocking my CPU.  I've even managed a stable E8500 @ 4.0GHz on a cheap ASRock board several years ago before ASRock was more popular.  

Sounds frustrating, but my new board is on the way and hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.  Maybe I should have avoided this board with over 100 one egg reviews on newegg.com but people seem to praise it especially for the budget price.  I figured I'd give it one more go and if the second board still causes issues, while i have no issues with my other MSI motherboard, it has to be ASRock extreme 4.

I'll go with Asus or Gigabyte if that happens.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11780 Posts

I didn't see that you mentioned it, but I do have a bit of dyslexia, and that is a bit of text to go through.

But have you tried a BIOS update, or will that void the warranty for your return?

My mobo (which is on its 5 year now) and my gf's mobo are both ASUS, never had any real issues out of them, (and nothing a CMOS clear or jump won't fix)

With that many 1 egg reviews, that particular mobo you are using is probably one of those hit or miss on Defects and DOA. I would say if you are serious about your rig, go for something slightly better. 

I just recently built my sister's boyfriend a pc and his Gigabyte mobo was DOA, wouldn't even boot, we got another gigabyte mobo (last am3 in town, slightly different model) but once we installed it, it booted up first time no problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Same thing happened to me twice in the last month, I'm also curious. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elann2008

I didn't see that you mentioned it, but I do have a bit of dyslexia, and that is a bit of text to go through.

But have you tried a BIOS update, or will that void the warranty for your return?

My mobo (which is on its 5 year now) and my gf's mobo are both ASUS, never had any real issues out of them, (and nothing a CMOS clear or jump won't fix)

With that many 1 egg reviews, that particular mobo you are using is probably one of those hit or miss on Defects and DOA. I would say if you are serious about your rig, go for something slightly better. 

I just recently built my sister's boyfriend a pc and his Gigabyte mobo was DOA, wouldn't even boot, we got another gigabyte mobo (last am3 in town, slightly different model) but once we installed it, it booted up first time no problem.

Lach0121
Yup. Updated the BIOS. I was hoping it will resolve the issue but apparently not. I'll give the Extreme4 one more shot then it's going back to Amazon for good. I'll grab an Asus V-Pro.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Elann2008

Same thing happened to me twice in the last month, I'm also curious. 

seanmcloughlin
Yeah, it's one of those anomalies in computers that you get 20 different answers for when you raise this particular question. I guess after narrowing it down, it must be the motherboard. I guess if you only got it twice in a whole month, you should be ok. I get like 5-6 freezes a day sometimes.. and then there are days when I get no freezes.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
sounds like your idle voltage might be to low. what are you offset/turbo?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Had this happen on my old PC. For me, it was due to my GPU voltage being too low (I had it overclocked), but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008

sounds like your idle voltage might be to low. what are you offset/turbo?darksusperia

I have overclocked it using offset and fixed modes, but right now I have it at Fixed Mode. I've prime95'ed different times with different voltages and Prime95 didn't crash. I've used stock voltage, 1.25, 1.265, 1.28, 1.30. Prime95 never crashed and computer never froze during those tests.

The random freezes have occurred during desktop use, web-surfing, listening to music, watching a video movie. For 4.2GHz, 1.3 is too low huh? That's weird because how am I suppose to know even if Prime95 comes out fine? Still freezes after successful Prime95 testing.  Hmmm.

I have turbo disabled.  

Had this happen on my old PC. For me, it was due to my GPU voltage being too low (I had it overclocked), but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.C_Rule

That's interesting because I have a GTX 670 signature 2 which is factory overclocked. It could be a faulty card after all... Will do more testing tonight with GTX 580, while leaving the computer on and see if it freezes up. Often times, it freezes up when the computer is idle too. Sometimes while I'm using it.

Usually, if I have an unstable CPU overclock, Prime95 will fail and stop.  Not this weird random freezes.  

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elann2008
I will try to more tests. Thank you guys. It would be nice to figure this out.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]sounds like your idle voltage might be to low. what are you offset/turbo?Elann2008

I have overclocked it using offset and fixed modes, but right now I have it at Fixed Mode. I've prime95'ed different times with different voltages and Prime95 didn't crash. I've used stock voltage, 1.25, 1.265, 1.28, 1.30. Prime95 never crashed and computer never froze during those tests.

The random freezes have occurred during desktop use, web-surfing, listening to music, watching a video movie. For 4.2GHz, 1.3 is too low huh? That's weird because how am I suppose to know even if Prime95 comes out fine? Still freezes after successful Prime95 testing.  Hmmm.

I have turbo disabled.  

Had this happen on my old PC. For me, it was due to my GPU voltage being too low (I had it overclocked), but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.C_Rule

That's interesting because I have a GTX 670 signature 2 which is factory overclocked. It could be a faulty card after all... Will do more testing tonight with GTX 580, while leaving the computer on and see if it freezes up. Often times, it freezes up when the computer is idle too. Sometimes while I'm using it.

Usually, if I have an unstable CPU overclock, Prime95 will fail and stop.  Not this weird random freezes.  

you dont have LLC enabled while itsset to a fixed do you?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

I have turbo disabled.  

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Had this happen on my old PC. For me, it was due to my GPU voltage being too low (I had it overclocked), but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.darksusperia

CPU Load Line Calibration is set to 1 at the moment. I've used all 1 through 5 and all passed Prime 95.

IGPU LLC - Auto

IGPU Voltage - Auto

Internal PLL Overvoltage - enabled

Do you see anything here that might cause instability?   I've looked at many guides and all of them have it set this way except for CPU LLC varies between 1-3.  

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I get the spinning ball of death on all sorts of macs.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Elann2008

CPU Load Line Calibration is set to 1 at the moment. I've used all 1 through 5 and all passed Prime 95.

IGPU LLC - Auto

IGPU Voltage - Auto

Do you see anything here that might cause instability?   I've looked at many guides and all of them have it set this way except for CPU LLC varies between 1-3.  

for fixed voltage it should be off (1).

for offset generally LLC level 2 or 3 is best for ASRock boards. If you default your bios using the clear cmos button or F9 in BIOS to load Factory defaults, does the freezing go away?

Also when you updated the BIOS, did you load factory defaults again after it then reset up everything?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] you dont have LLC enabled while itsset to a fixed do you?darksusperia

IGPU LLC - Auto

IGPU Voltage - Auto

for offset generally LLC level 2 or 3 is best for ASRock boards. If you default your bios using the clear cmos button or F9 in BIOS to load Factory defaults, does the freezing go away?

Also when you updated the BIOS, did you load factory defaults again after it then reset up everything?

1. Yeah, I'm fixed mode with LLC at Level 1.
  2. I haven't experienced any freezing on default settings which leaves me to believe something might be wrong with the motherboard's stability. I've used this CPU on my MSI mobo and overclocked with ease.  I find it hard to believe I've passed all Prime95 tests which leaves me to believe my OC settings should have been very stable.  
  3. Yup. Before I even updated the BIOS, I loaded default factory settings then I updated the BIOS. Made sure to start everything fresh.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

IGPU LLC - Auto

IGPU Voltage - Auto

Elann2008

2. I haven't experienced any freezing on default settings which leaves me to believe something might be wrong with the motherboard's stability. I've used this CPU on my MSI mobo and overclocked with ease.  I find it hard to believe I've passed all Prime95 tests which leaves me to believe my OC settings should have been very stable.  
  3. Yup. Before I even updated the BIOS, I loaded default factory settings then I updated the BIOS. Made sure to start everything fresh.

but you didn't load the defaults after the update? sometimes things get stuck, don't update. also what C states do you have enabled?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] for fixed voltage it should be off (1).

darksusperia

but you didn't load the defaults after the update? sometimes things get stuck, don't update. also what C states do you have enabled?

Well, I loaded defaults before the update. I didn't have any profiles saved before and after the update. I checked all the BIOS settings after the update and they were all defaulted. All C states are disabled.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darksusperia

2. I haven't experienced any freezing on default settings which leaves me to believe something might be wrong with the motherboard's stability. I've used this CPU on my MSI mobo and overclocked with ease. I find it hard to believe I've passed all Prime95 tests which leaves me to believe my OC settings should have been very stable.

Elann2008

Well, I loaded defaults before the update. I didn't have any profiles saved before and after the update. I checked all the BIOS settings after the update and they were all defaulted. All C states are disabled.

found something similar to your issue.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1264018/i7-2700k-4-5ghz-asrock-z77-extreme4-freezes-and-or-gives-bsod

try some of the suggestions.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] but you didn't load the defaults after the update? sometimes things get stuck, don't update. also what C states do you have enabled?darksusperia

found something similar to your issue.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1264018/i7-2700k-4-5ghz-asrock-z77-extreme4-freezes-and-or-gives-bsod

try some of the suggestions.

THanks for trying to help man. I'm going to leave my PC on for a few hours and see if it freezes up. Going to try and get some sleep.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Random crashes are often faulty ram, but you said you tried different ram, odd.

Try memtest anyway?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008

Random crashes are often faulty ram, but you said you tried different ram, odd.

Try memtest anyway?

kraken2109
Yeah Memtest passed, no errors.
GeForce-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GeForce-
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts
You did some overclocking. There's the problem. I wouldn't even do such a thing.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109

Hey guys can I join the club?

2 BSODs today, one the day before last (23rd)

These are the messages:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

According to bluescreenview the offending files/processes are (driver on the left and address on the right):

cmudaxp.sys    cmudaxp.sys+1ab97
ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+75c40
nvmf6264.sys    nvmf6264.sys+43b3

Could this have anything to do with my motherboard? (Made a thread a few weeks ago about it running hot, but it's seemed stable)

The second one today happened after 2 hours of CS:GO, so most hardware seems fine. I also played a fair bit of Far Cry 3 yesterday.

EDIT: Forgot to meantion I stuck all fans on max (like a jet engine) and motherboard temp didn't change. I'd say faulty sensor but the heatsink (think it's northbridge) did feel quite hot.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elann2008

These are the messages:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

According to bluescreenview the offending files/processes are (driver on the left and address on the right):

Could this have anything to do with my motherboard? (Made a thread a few weeks ago about it running hot, but it's seemed stable)

The second one today happened after 2 hours of CS:GO, so most hardware seems fine. I also played a fair bit of Far Cry 3 yesterday.

kraken2109

Sounds like a video driver or Ethernet driver issue. I'd start with video driver. Do a driver sweeper, cleaning out any remaining old and current drivers and install latest drivers or use previous ones that never gave you any issues.

With my issue, I've went back changed some dram configurations and enabled the C-states as suggested by some other users on forums I've searched that has used fixed mode.  

I'm finally getting Blue Screens.  It's weird how I wanted to see them, in any normal circumstance I dread BSOD. hehe.  I've started a new overclock with 1.255v @ 4.2GHz.  Prime95 is running smooth so far.  I'll do some intel burn test afterwards.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

These are the messages:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Elann2008

Sounds like a video driver or Ethernet driver issue. I'd start with video driver. Do a driver sweeper, cleaning out any remaining old and current drivers and install latest drivers or use previous ones that never gave you any issues.

With my issue, I've went back changed some dram configurations and enabled the C-states as suggested by some other users on forums I've searched that has used fixed mode.  

I'm finally getting Blue Screens.  It's weird how I wanted to see them, in any normal circumstance I dread BSOD. hehe.  I've started a new overclock with 1.255v @ 4.2GHz.  Prime95 is running smooth so far.  I'll do some intel burn test afterwards.

The thing is this graphics driver has been fine, it's not like i just installed it. And I'm pretty sure the ethernet driver has been the same for years. Ah well, I'll update graphics drivers anyway.

EDIT: According to nvidia control panel there are some more drivers (nforce) that should be updated. But looking at the site, it doesn't list the 720D chipset which my motherboard is.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Elann2008
^ Try chkdsk. Could be a corrupted file.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kraken2109
^ Try chkdsk. Could be a corrupted file.Elann2008
Did that earlier. Now the physx section of the new driver won't install ¬_¬
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]^ Try chkdsk. Could be a corrupted file.kraken2109
Did that earlier. Now the physx section of the new driver won't install ¬_¬

That's weird. The only issue I've had with physX with the past was trying to uninstall from control panel, but driver sweeper took care of that. You can download PhysX software separately and install it that way.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

reinstall windows

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darksusperia

Elann2008
once you get your overclock stable on this board fixed and know where you load voltage needs to be. switch to offset and start again. make sure once you are done completely to run sfc /scannow to fix anything from all the blue screens.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

darksusperia
once you get your overclock stable on this board fixed and know where you load voltage needs to be. switch to offset and start again. make sure once you are done completely to run sfc /scannow to fix anything from all the blue screens.

What are the advantages of offset besides saving more on the energy bill? Thanks for the heads up Darksus!
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darksusperia

Elann2008

What are the advantages of offset besides saving more on the energy bill? Thanks for the heads up Darksus!

longer chip life cause its not driving the fixed voltage constantly.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] once you get your overclock stable on this board fixed and know where you load voltage needs to be. switch to offset and start again. make sure once you are done completely to run sfc /scannow to fix anything from all the blue screens.

Mkay, that's what I thought you'd answer but I reckon I'd probably upgrade in another 2-3 years as I usually do. I will run offset after I find a stable voltage. Thanks again for all your help.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darksusperia
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] What are the advantages of offset besides saving more on the energy bill? Thanks for the heads up Darksus!

Mkay, that's what I thought you'd answer but I reckon I'd probably upgrade in another 2-3 years as I usually do. I will run offset after I find a stable voltage. Thanks again for all your help.

no real disadvantage to either to be honest. one has more advantages but both are good methods. Anytime buddy.
Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

not sure if your using a pci or pci-e soundcard, or what other pci-pci-e cards your using, but i would take them all out

And take out every usb device other then the mouse and keyboard.

Obviously put your cpu at its default settings and don't overclock it and see if that stops the freezes.

I would suggest trying another powersupply if you had a spare one around.

Maybe clone ur operating system (for backup) and do a fresh test install on a blank hard drive to see if that changes anything. 

While on the subject of hard drives, try to take them all out except the one u need for windows.... and if possible clone it to another hard drive and see if that hard drive helps... failing hard drives can freeze up pcs.  I had a 10000rpm raptor that was beginning to fail and would cause the pc to stop responding for long periods of time, then eventually failed... it was my operating system hard drive at the time.

Also plug ur hard drive into a different SATA port.... i had an Asus P8P67 motherboard last year that had 4 buggy SATA ports which made my hard drives act crazy and cause freezes also in windows.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I have had problems similar to that with my Asrock mobo, it just seems to work it selve out over time 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kraken2109

So if it was my motherboard, I could buy a nice AM3+ board and 8GB DDR3 ram for £140...

Problem is if I was gonna start doing big upgrades I'd want to go intel, so it would be £320 for 3570k, mobo, 8GB DDR3.

And I was gonna upgrade my graphics card soon... I don't really want to spend £500 right now :(

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elann2008

So if it was my motherboard, I could buy a nice AM3+ board and 8GB DDR3 ram for £140...

Problem is if I was gonna start doing big upgrades I'd want to go intel, so it would be £320 for 3570k, mobo, 8GB DDR3.

And I was gonna upgrade my graphics card soon... I don't really want to spend £500 right now :(

kraken2109
Yeah.. your issue is definitely software. No need to upgrade CPU/Mobo yet. Maybe down the line! :) Are you still getting BSOD? I was just about to come back and post and bring good news. It's no longer freezing. I decided to just kick the voltage up to 1.3v @ 4.3GHz. I had to change DRAM configurations (not just timings), and I changed LLC to Level 2. It has been stable for the past 24 hours. Even when idle (I left the computer on and went to sleep to several hours), it did not freeze.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Elann2008
Yeah.. your issue is definitely software. No need to upgrade CPU/Mobo yet. Maybe down the line! :) Are you still getting BSOD? I was just about to come back and post and bring good news. It's no longer freezing. I decided to just kick the voltage up to 1.3v @ 4.3GHz. I had to change DRAM configurations (not just timings), and I changed LLC to Level 2. It has been stable for the past 24 hours. Even when idle (I left the computer on and went to sleep to several hours), it did not freeze.

Well i remembered that recently I changed a playback setting, so I've put that back and i'll see if it was anything to do with that. Annoying if it was since i'll no longer be able to bitstream DTS/Dolby Digital to my receiver if that's the case. No more quadraphonic pink floyd :(
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darksusperia
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Elann2008

Awesome news! :D
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008

^ just crashed on desktop 10 minutes ago lol.. changed to LLC level 1, disabled CPU throttling. Testing as we speak.. lets see what happens. I even played BF3 with Prime95 running haha. :P

After these changes:

Ran Intel Burn Test: Maximum stress level, 20 passes, success.  Now on to Prime95 for at least 8 hours while I sleep. 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kraken2109

It hasn't changed since I changed audio output, how annoying.

Guess I just buy a new GPU at some point and use HDMI to my reciever, hopefully it won't introduce input lag. Maybe I can just use HDMI for audio and continue using DVI for video?

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

If you're going to oc, just skip the inexpensive mb's and get a good one. Cheap mb and oc'ing is just a real pain.  When oc'ing you  get what you pay for..go budget an you may just end up living in hell.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="GeForce-"]You did some overclocking. There's the problem. I wouldn't even do such a thing.

Lol what?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Elann2008

If you're going to oc, just skip the inexpensive mb's and get a good one. Cheap mb and oc'ing is just a real pain.  When oc'ing you  get what you pay for..go budget an you may just end up living in hell.

--Anna--
In general, that's true. But I've OC'ed with ease with a cheap Asrock mobo several years ago lol. It was crazy of me to buy it but it worked out. Yeah, I normally go with Asus, or if I must, Gigabyte. Turns out this Asrock Mobo is pretty good. There's just so many things you could tweak to find the right balance for stability. Passed all my intel burn tests, and Prime 95 on large and small FFTs, also blend. It's 100% stable now after changing the LLC and thermal throttling. There must have been vdroop.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]

Elann2008

In general, that's true. But I've OC'ed with ease with a cheap Asrock mobo several years ago lol. It was crazy of me to buy it but it worked out. Yeah, I normally go with Asus, or if I must, Gigabyte. Turns out this Asrock Mobo is pretty good. There's just so many things you could tweak to find the right balance for stability. Passed all my intel burn tests, and Prime 95 on large and small FFTs, also blend. It's 100% stable now after changing the LLC and thermal throttling. There must have been vdroop.

I'm not trying to be mean...just reailist...but whatever make you happy. Good Luck and Cheers.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="--Anna--"]

--Anna--

I'm not trying to be mean...just reailist...but whatever make you happy. Good Luck and Cheers.

I'd have to agree with Anna. I've find the cheaper motherboard often have a hard time sustaining higher clocks or don't allow you enough control to get a good overclock. Although I also agree with Elann, Asrock does have some pretty sweet overclocking features, even on their budget boards. I think that's just Asrock though. Budget models from other brands tend to be terrible.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Elann2008

--Anna--

You're never mean, Anna. :D In general, I completely agree with you. :) In other news though, I just took the CPU up to 4.5GHz, on the same voltage (1.3v). I couldn't do that with my MSI motherboard! Although that MSI motherboard was basically what Anna and Marfoo described.  A budget, cheap motherboard that I bought on impulse because I had hardware issues with that PC i had at the time. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Elann2008
[QUOTE="--Anna--"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] In general, that's true. But I've OC'ed with ease with a cheap Asrock mobo several years ago lol. It was crazy of me to buy it but it worked out. Yeah, I normally go with Asus, or if I must, Gigabyte. Turns out this Asrock Mobo is pretty good. There's just so many things you could tweak to find the right balance for stability. Passed all my intel burn tests, and Prime 95 on large and small FFTs, also blend. It's 100% stable now after changing the LLC and thermal throttling. There must have been vdroop.Marfoo

I'd have to agree with Anna. I've find the cheaper motherboard often have a hard time sustaining higher clocks or don't allow you enough control to get a good overclock. Although I also agree with Elann, Asrock does have some pretty sweet overclocking features, even on their budget boards. I think that's just Asrock though. Budget models from other brands tend to be terrible.

Yup, exactly this. :)
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darksusperia
[QUOTE="--Anna--"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] In general, that's true. But I've OC'ed with ease with a cheap Asrock mobo several years ago lol. It was crazy of me to buy it but it worked out. Yeah, I normally go with Asus, or if I must, Gigabyte. Turns out this Asrock Mobo is pretty good. There's just so many things you could tweak to find the right balance for stability. Passed all my intel burn tests, and Prime 95 on large and small FFTs, also blend. It's 100% stable now after changing the LLC and thermal throttling. There must have been vdroop.Elann2008

You're never mean, Anna. :D In general, I completely agree with you. :) In other news though, I just took the CPU up to 4.5GHz, on the same voltage (1.3v). I couldn't do that with my MSI motherboard!

Thats awesome news!
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elann2008

darksusperia
You're never mean, Anna. :D In general, I completely agree with you. :) In other news though, I just took the CPU up to 4.5GHz, on the same voltage (1.3v). I couldn't do that with my MSI motherboard!

Thats awesome news!

Thanks man. :D