Hard drive died on my Asus laptop..Seagate still good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neogeo419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 neogeo419
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

Newegg has a sale on a Seagate Momentus hdd for $70...Just wanted some input on Seagate...The only Seagate ive owned died within in a year in one of my earlier builds..Sorry for no link my Razr is being unreasonable..Oh also it should work fine right?..Most laptops use 2.5 correct?...Sorry only know about desktops...Anyway any input would be much appreciated.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
This was back about 3 years ago but I was working for a computer shop. The amount of Seagates we got back compared to Western Digitals was a lot higher. I now maintain the network for a big company, we generally have less issues with WD than Seagate. Another thing that people don't realize or look into is the warranty. Check the warranties on each drive and also check the warranty procedure. For example in Australia, Seagate has a local Warranty Center in Sydney, but for WD you have to send them overseas.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I've never had a problem with Seagate drives but if you look at the evidence then they appear to be less reliable than WD. However maybe they have improved their game because I don't see nearly as many people bashing Seagate these days.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
I stopped using them after their firmware fiasco. Had all 4 drives I order brick on me within a year. They could be better now, but I generally just go with Western Digital. I still have a 1.4 GB WD Caviar from back in the day that still runs strong.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I stopped using them after their firmware fiasco. Had all 4 drives I order brick on me within a year. They could be better now, but I generally just go with Western Digital. I still have a 1.4 GB WD Caviar from back in the day that still runs strong.Marfoo
Firmware Fiasco?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Get a momentus xt (the hybrid drives)
they are much faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5160/seagate-2nd-generation-momentus-xt-750gb-hybrid-hdd-review

I have one in my laptop. Ran as fast as a ssd for some stuff. I put it in the secondary drive bay now and have a dedicated SSD for the OS and programs, but the momentus XT by itself did great.

It was agony using a standard drive.

dat

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
[QUOTE="Marfoo"]I stopped using them after their firmware fiasco. Had all 4 drives I order brick on me within a year. They could be better now, but I generally just go with Western Digital. I still have a 1.4 GB WD Caviar from back in the day that still runs strong.FelipeInside
Firmware Fiasco?

Yeah, they had an issue where the firmware would erroneously trigger SMART warnings and eventually brick the drive in an attempt to avoid data corruption. Article
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

An SSD is really a must in a laptop now when they are affordable. Fast and shockproof.

Mechanical disks are very sensitive to shock, that's one of the biggest reason why they die so often in laptops...

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I have ha no problems with the seagate drives i have had.