Halo 3 Was In Development For The PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/halo3hackinvestigation.jpg

The first Halo was being developed for the personal computer (Mac to be precise) before it jumped ship onto the Xbox. A few years later post its release on the console, it eventually crawled onto the PC only to be met with a lukewarm reception from within the community. Halo 2 followed a similar suit and was tagged as being one of the first games to be available for Windows Vista. Halo 3 was rumored to fall in the footsteps along with its predecessors and make an appearance onto the platform, however it never did. There was no word on any development of the game on the platform.

http://images.pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/134551-Halo-3.jpg

This, however, might just be subject to change after you have a look at Matt Waggle's profile who served as an object artist for Bungie Studios during the project. His duties included working on Bungie's proprietary engine and building an effective collision and physics model on the basis of the Havok based physics engine. All these responsibilities were for Halo 3 which was being developed for the Xbox 360 and PC at that point in time. This gives an indication that the game was in fact in development for both platforms simultaneously.

Matt Waggle LinkedIn

No one ultimately knows what happened to the game for the PC especially since the developers started to focus their attention onto ODST and Halo: Reach currently. If we look at how things ultimately shaped up with Alan Wake we have to assume the development for the game was canceled to promote the resources for the Xbox 360 version so as to accommodate much more wholesome experience to its fans. One could also think of the fact that there were so many other first person shooters on the PC which would have made Halo 3 insipid when placed in direct comparison to them and hence Microsoft decided to cancel any further development of the game.

http://www.supercheats.com/xbox360/guides/halo3/halo3logo-large.png Source: http://www.gameguru.in/pc/2010/27/halo-3-pc-was-in-development-with-the-xbox-360-version/

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Even if we got Halo 3 this year or the next, no one would care.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
I would buy it, while i didnt enjoy the mutiplayer very much, the co-op was very fun with friends.
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Steameffekt

I would

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

Steameffekt
I don't have a 360 so I would.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

The first Halo was being developed for the personal computer (Mac to be precise) before it jumped ship onto the Xbox. OoSuperMarioO
I always love this. A game that ended up being Halo was indeed being made for the mac, but it was not the Halo we know. Halo started out as an RTS and turned into a third person shooter. It eventually became the fps everyone knows.

Anyone onto the point. I am not really that surprised that they moved on rather than making it for the PC. I can't imagine Halo 1 or 2 sold enough to make that large of a profit. I am sure they made profit, but I can't imagine it was enough to truly warrant them putting the 3rd game on the PC. I mean companies always cry when they make less profit one year than the year before even though in the end they are still making profit.

Still kind of surprising that they would stop developing it for the PC after already starting. Of course they could have been like a week in when they decided to stop.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#7 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts

I would buy it too. I think it'll come to PC eventually. Doesn't make any sense to make the first two and just not do the 3rd one. As for the expansion and prequel, I could care less for those, it seems like they're just milking the franchise now. Maybe we could as Matt Waggle.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

You know I've never said the Halo series was bad, but I've always disliked it, and this is why.

Console controls. I'm not a fan of them. I'm a keyboard and mouse kind of guy. That being said, in about 2004-2006 I played Halo: CE and Halo 2 religiously on the Xbox, but then I got a decent gaming PC and haven't looked back. Then, when I finally got around to getting Halo and Halo 2 on PC -- or should I say when Microsoft finally got around to releasing it on the PC --it felt like I was back on the console. Poor controls (for a PC game) poor movement, the game just felt wrong. Yes, Halo felt better on the Xbox, and it was years late the the PC, and that's why they flopped.

Now I also own Halo 3 on the 360. Is it a bad game? Again, not entirely no. My biggest problem with it is definitely the controls, and then some things related to story, and lastly gameplay (my on personal preferences). If it had been on the PC it would be an entirely different story. for examplke, I played COD4 on 360, hated it, played MW2 on PC -- and identical game -- loved it! the controls made all the difference.

Let's face it. Halo is a pretty good game (in the past I have described it as being perfectly average--which is a very good thing, if you think about it). It's just Microsoft are lazy and insanely stupid and refuse to do a simultaneous launch onto the PC. IF and I stress that word, IF Microsoft had made any of the Halo games and done a proper port and released them around the same time as the Xbox versions it would not be as hated as it is today, and dare I say I would still be the babbling Halo fan I was those years ago. Instead, I must sit here and crirtisise it.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
would be nice to have it
OnFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OnFive
Member since 2010 • 73 Posts
It would be awesome on PC, been wishing for this since I sold my xbox...
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

Lox_Cropek

I would

So would I.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Halo CE still has players online even today.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Steameffekt
Exactly this, it would be a Halo 2 mess all over again.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

if halo 3 comes out for the pc, ill get the entire halo trilogy for pc, if not, then ill just leave it at that.

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

yea idk why so many people hate halo on the pc but its just awesome on it

it feels like it was made for the pc the levels work perfect with 16 people online plus the levels they added for the pc are awesome like death island i think its called

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

I'd get all three myself.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

You know I've never said the Halo series was bad, but I've always disliked it, and this is why.

Console controls. I'm not a fan of them. I'm a keyboard and mouse kind of guy. That being said, in about 2004-2006 I played Halo: CE and Halo 2 religiously on the Xbox, but then I got a decent gaming PC and haven't looked back. Then, when I finally got around to getting Halo and Halo 2 on PC -- or should I say when Microsoft finally got around to releasing it on the PC --it felt like I was back on the console. Poor controls (for a PC game) poor movement, the game just felt wrong. Yes, Halo felt better on the Xbox, and it was years late the the PC, and that's why they flopped.

Now I also own Halo 3 on the 360. Is it a bad game? Again, not entirely no. My biggest problem with it is definitely the controls, and then some things related to story, and lastly gameplay (my on personal preferences). If it had been on the PC it would be an entirely different story. for examplke, I played COD4 on 360, hated it, played MW2 on PC -- and identical game -- loved it! the controls made all the difference.

Let's face it. Halo is a pretty good game (in the past I have described it as being perfectly average--which is a very good thing, if you think about it). It's just Microsoft are lazy and insanely stupid and refuse to do a simultaneous launch onto the PC. IF and I stress that word, IF Microsoft had made any of the Halo games and done a proper port and released them around the same time as the Xbox versions it would not be as hated as it is today, and dare I say I would still be the babbling Halo fan I was those years ago. Instead, I must sit here and crirtisise it.

DigitalExile
They aren't holding off on Halo 3 PC because they're lazy or stupid, they're doing it because it's still the console's main killer app.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Lol 2nd poster got owned.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Apparently lots of people want to play Bungie's Masterpiece at 1440x900 resolution and higher and 2x anti aliasing..... don't blame em, really.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#20 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Steameffekt

Exactly. It just wouldn't make a good PC game.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Just don't make a stupid move like make it Vista/7 exclusive.
OnFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OnFive
Just don't make a stupid move like make it Vista/7 exclusive.thusaha
lol at this point if you don't have Vista/7 you don't deserve to play...
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Some people just don't want to upgrade their OS just yet.
not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

Jd1680a

Exactly this, it would be a Halo 2 mess all over again.

I ****ing hope so. They always planned to release it on the PC. I bet they released this info to see if people are still interested in the game.

I tell you that Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 are coming to PC for sure.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="thusaha"]Just don't make a stupid move like make it Vista/7 exclusive.OnFive
lol at this point if you don't have Vista/7 you don't deserve to play...

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Not that people shouldn;t upgrade but if its more a port over it should run on xp just fine. If its not a port over then I could see vista/7 being ok. Remember any game that is multiplatform has to run directx 9 on consoles.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Halo would have been awesome for PC if they increased the running speed. made the chief feel heavier when jumping instead of this light blob. It does have the potentional to be an awesome game just the PC imo suits the quicker paced FPS styles.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I rather see Halo reach first then halo 3 after. but thats just me.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

I wouldn't mind it coming out on pc, does no harm, it just adds on to the game library, but I won't get it.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
Unlike most, I enjoy halo 1 and 2 on pc, it's still quite lively and I'd happily welcome the 3rd onto pc
Sky_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sky_Raptor
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts
would be nice to have it on pc
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
So it seems MS is doing the x360 focus thing long before i ever knew about it. Makes sense. Halo 3 came after gears of war which sold bad. So ms thought that their games wont ever sell well on pc. I wish they could see that it depends on the game since mass effect sold very well on pc.
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Overated pile of crap! I got it for 360 on top of analog sticks for fps games just being wrong but for the game to look and play horrible is a no go. Its not in the first Halo's class.

OnFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OnFive
Yeah, why buy a ps3 when they're still making ps2 games? update your OS and BUY some games... thats just general advice for everybody
Meet391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Meet391
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

No matter what the reason, the cancellation concluded in me losing my faith in Microsoft and Bungie. That's just unfair for gamers who have played Halo 1 & 2 on PC and can't afford to get a Xbox 360. That includes me. :cry:

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
[QUOTE="Lox_Cropek"]

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

brandontwb

I would

So would I.

I wouldn't.