Halo 2 PC multiplayer is shutting down next month!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

Link

Well darn i still have 3 achievements to go but there are so few players i dont think i would be able to get them......

If anyone has Halo 2 PC better get on and play sommore before they shut it down!

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#2 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I wonder if achievements will still update on your profile or if all Live feature are being taken down
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Game has dedicated servers, i'm pretty sure that people will still play online regardless of whether MS has decided to shut down their services.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Game has dedicated servers, i'm pretty sure that people will still play online regardless of whether MS has decided to shut down their services.ferret-gamer
you still need a master server to be able to retrieve data from dedicated servers. MS can shut that down.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I saw an article with MS claiming that only 20 people still play it. While the game is old, I find that hard to believe as Halo is pretty popular.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Game has dedicated servers, i'm pretty sure that people will still play online regardless of whether MS has decided to shut down their services.bonafidetk
you still need a master server to be able to retrieve data from dedicated servers. MS can shut that down.

What he said.

A lot of games have had their master servers shut down when the population disappears.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I saw an article with MS claiming that only 20 people still play it. While the game is old, I find that hard to believe as Halo is pretty popular.

Cwagmire21

The PC version of Halo 2 didn't sell that well. The Vista only requirement was a real drag and then they stopped selling it after awhile.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Cwagmire21
It's a popular series, but not on PC, Uwe Boll movies are Oscar winners compared to Halo series' sales on PC.
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts
[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

DanielDust
It's a popular series, but not on PC, Uwe Boll movies are Oscar winners compared to Halo series' sales on PC.

Wrong. Halo 1 Sold like MAD on PC and still does. last time i checked more than 500 people play it regularly probbly upwards of 1000.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

hofuldig

Wrong. Halo 1 Sold like MAD on PC and still does. last time i checked more than 500 people play it regularly probbly upwards of 1000.

I bet you'd want to believe that is "mad". Halo never sold like anything on PC, 1 had "some" copies sold (not enough to even get mentioned in gaming magazines, that's how important and successful its PC release was) and 2 was a complete failure mentioned only because it was limited to Vista.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#11 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Never played it online, thought the single player was mediocre at best and had no desire to play it online when other games had my attention.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The same thing happened to Forged Alliance and people are still playing multiplayer. I didnt think anyone played Halo 2 on PC anyway.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Wasdie

The PC version of Halo 2 didn't sell that well. The Vista only requirement was a real drag and then they stopped selling it after awhile.

It runs on my PC under Windows 7....
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I don't even know how people played the game. The FOV was like 60. I mean, I generally like a lower fov, but that game had the lowest FOV i've ever seen in a pc release.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Game has dedicated servers, i'm pretty sure that people will still play online regardless of whether MS has decided to shut down their services.Wasdie

What he said.

A lot of games have had their master servers shut down when the population disappears.

And then people end up hosting their own master servers. But yea Halo 2 PC was kind of a stinker, I remember when it was just announced. And now it's shutting down. How time flies.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

hofuldig

I a few months ago when I checked halo 2, it had about 8 players. Halo is indeed the far superior game on pc if you want a match

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

ShadowsDemon

He means it doesnt run on XP. it was the first game to abandon that OS

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

ShadowsDemon

he's talking about when it was released..

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Halo 2 barely had a population on PC. GFWL and making it Vista only is what killed it. Kinda hoped the population would have increased when the Xbox servers shut down. Surprised that it didn't.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

wis3boi

He means it doesnt run on XP. it was the first game to abandon that OS

Ah. My mistake.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Cwagmire21
Halo 1 sold like hotcakes and is still played a lot on the PC. IIRC the custom edition SDK mod version is actually free to play... but dont quote me on that, its a long time since I played Halo 1.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I remember playing Halo 1 on a laptop with a 16mb integrated graphics. It couldn't even make the windows transparent but I still had a lot of fun playing online.