This topic is locked from further discussion.

berns_i_d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 berns_i_d2
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i've seen several computer games made into movies.....why cant the all time greatest game of all time "halflife" be made into a movie???

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts
http://imdb.com/title/tt0428620/
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

http://imdb.com/title/tt0428620/DarkRecruit

thats unrelated to the game....

Half LIfe would not work well as a movie...its very strong presentation values dont work well in a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
it could work.. BUUUTTTT.. The fact that none of these movies have gotten a single decent director or actor to sign up, it will never work out.. Intill we some of the top directors get into making some of these movies, instead of the crap directors such as the AVP one, the movie will suck.
beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#5 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts
i know the best director UWE BOLL JOKE :))... no reallly i think its hard to make a movie based on HL 1st i can't really think of a good voice to represent Gordon because he didn't had 1one in the 1st time & than i can't think of an actor ... the rest is quite simple Morgan Freeman asDr. Eli ..., Donal Sutherland as the the director of BLACK MESA & so on ...but i still can't think of a a good actor for GORDON's role !
Avatar image for LagAssassinVash
LagAssassinVash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 LagAssassinVash
Member since 2004 • 123 Posts
Its like legend of Zelda. Sounds cool but how would it work??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814

i know the best director UWE BOLL JOKE :))... no reallly i think its hard to make a movie based on HL 1st i can't really think of a good voice to represent Gordon because he didn't had 1one in the 1st time & than i can't think of an actor ... the rest is quite simple Morgan Freeman asDr. Eli ..., Donal Sutherland as the the director of BLACK MESA & so on ...but i still can't think of a a good actor for GORDON's role !beckoflight

I can think of a good Gordon Freeman.. Ewan McGregor..

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

almost any game would make for a fine film if it was in the hands of a talented team, they just never have been

silent hill is probably the best example of how films made of games can be good, but the silent hill film fell at the last hurdle by pandering to the intellectually mediocre, as well as undermining all of the symbolism that was so central to the game

the doom film is a perfect example of why films made of games are generally bad, it made a lot of stupid decisions (dropping the whole daemonic/hell thing was the worst of those ideas), had bad dialogue and an awkward cast - if they had retained the original premise of doom... kept in the cool daemonic imagery and themes of insanity and corruption, it could have been the next aliens

half life could make for a magnificent film in the right hands, and with the sheer number of games getting films in the next few years (hitman, gears of war, metal gear solid, warcraft and many more), one of them has to get it right sooner or later... my bet would be in warcraft, since blizzard has an eye for sound theatricism, has the finalsay on everything, and it's all backed by the wonderful legendary pictures studio who brought us batman begins and the seminal 300

valve may not want to risk besmirching the good name of half life with a mediocre film, or may have long term plans to release a film at a certain time, but with all the games being made into films right now i really think it's just a matter of time before the rights to half life are sold - andwith a team with talent and balls, a team willing to make decisions that might not appeal to the greater mainstream audience, half life could be one of the great defining science fiction films this side of 1990

berns_i_d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 berns_i_d2
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
if Steven Spielberg produces the movie...it'll be a great one...thanks
Conan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Conan1985
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

if Steven Spielberg produces the movie...it'll be a great one...thanksberns_i_d2

Ridley Scott! Then it would truely kick ass!

However really you want a Half Life fan to be the director...too many of these games to movies they changed so much it was barely the same story. AVP is a good example...diffrent story to the game or the book...just some random made up crap.

Its like LotR the director was a fan so he stuck true to the book and didnt go making stuff up and just loosely keeping the theme and it turned out great.

For most games - movies biggest problem is the games dont really have any plot...no characters of note...for example Doom. Whats the story? they have to make one up to give it depth...and they employ a series of the worst writers ever to walk the earth...or do it themselves in their coffee break.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Every movie from a game ive seen...is so loosely based on the game that its a joke. If they made a Half Life movie, and it followed the sequence and story of the game at all times, then bring it on! Otherwise..no thanks.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

[QUOTE="beckoflight"]i know the best director UWE BOLL JOKE :))... no reallly i think its hard to make a movie based on HL 1st i can't really think of a good voice to represent Gordon because he didn't had 1one in the 1st time & than i can't think of an actor ... the rest is quite simple Morgan Freeman asDr. Eli ..., Donal Sutherland as the the director of BLACK MESA & so on ...but i still can't think of a a good actor for GORDON's role !sSubZerOo

Ye if he grew a beard he would actually look a little like freeman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="beckoflight"]i know the best director UWE BOLL JOKE :))... no reallly i think its hard to make a movie based on HL 1st i can't really think of a good voice to represent Gordon because he didn't had 1one in the 1st time & than i can't think of an actor ... the rest is quite simple Morgan Freeman asDr. Eli ..., Donal Sutherland as the the director of BLACK MESA & so on ...but i still can't think of a a good actor for GORDON's role !gamerchris810

Ye if he grew a beard he would actually look a little like freeman.

He has though, during Starwars.. And the Island showed how he looked with similar type glasses.

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#14 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Mortal Kombat... great flick

Resident Evil Trilogy (well will see the 3rd movie soon) also killer

Mario Brothers.... sucked badly

Street Fighter.... ugh.. also bad

Doom ... good decent flick.. suprisingly..

okay.. ran out of movies based on games.. fill in the blanks.. :)

Avatar image for woolysockofdoom
woolysockofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 woolysockofdoom
Member since 2003 • 494 Posts
However really you want a Half Life fan to be the director...too many of these games to movies they changed so much it was barely the same story. AVP is a good example...diffrent story to the game or the book...just some random made up crap.

Its like LotR the director was a fan so he stuck true to the book and didnt go making stuff up and just loosely keeping the theme and it turned out great.

For most games - movies biggest problem is the games dont really have any plot...no characters of note...for example Doom. Whats the story? they have to make one up to give it depth...and they employ a series of the worst writers ever to walk the earth...or do it themselves in their coffee break. Conan1985

One of the best summaries of the situation I have read. It's so true: the movies never really stick to the sequences and ideas of the game. If they did make a Half Life movie, of course you won't see everything from the game, there just isn't nearly enough time.

But the way most game to movie transitions are working these days, the Half Life movie would have Gordon Freeman being an ex-Navy Seal working in Area 51 as a mercenary, and the aliens would have been genetecially engineered by Dr. Scott, the new head bad guy. Basically, it would be a giant ass on a movie screen.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
A main character that never speaks... interesting. Maybe they could have it like the old movies without sound for gorden. So whenever he talks it switches to black and white with text.
SgrArchAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SgrArchAngel
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

or maybe Edward Norton ?

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebsm/edwardnorton/edward_norton_2.jpg

gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

**** yeah Edward Norton ftw, hes a sick actor. Ewan McGregor is another good choice tho.

as for directors, definitely Ridley Scott, whoever said that. he would do an awesome job. even spielberg could pull it off, i thought Transformers was awesome

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts

**** yeah Edward Norton ftw, hes a sick actor. Ewan McGregor is another good choice tho.

as for directors, definitely Ridley Scott, whoever said that. he would do an awesome job. even spielberg could pull it off, i thought Transformers was awesome

gtarmanrob

spielberg didn't do transformers..he was only executive producer bay made it.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
Because Gordon doesn't talk, duh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Conan1985"]However really you want a Half Life fan to be the director...too many of these games to movies they changed so much it was barely the same story. AVP is a good example...diffrent story to the game or the book...just some random made up crap.

For most games - movies biggest problem is the games dont really have any plot...no characters of note...for example Doom. Whats the story? they have to make one up to give it depth...and they employ a series of the worst writers ever to walk the earth...or do it themselves in their coffee break. woolysockofdoom

One of the best summaries of the situation I have read. It's so true: the movies never really stick to the sequences and ideas of the game. If they did make a Half Life movie, of course you won't see everything from the game, there just isn't nearly enough time.

But the way most game to movie transitions are working these days, the Half Life movie would have Gordon Freeman being an ex-Navy Seal working in Area 51 as a mercenary, and the aliens would have been genetecially engineered by Dr. Scott, the new head bad guy. Basically, it would be a giant ass on a movie screen.

Well I think this is a given.. There is only so much you can put in a 1and a half to 2 and a half hour movie....