Half Life episode 2 stut-stut-stutters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

i think you know what i mean.. you play just fine and it starts to to freeze and unfreeze all the time...i have the latest drivers, any idea why that happens or how to fix it?

Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

It studdered a little for me when I played it, but it wasn't that bad and I got use to it. How bnad is the studdering?

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dakan45
well i am at that level that alyx has the sniper rilfe and at some point it stutters like crazy when i look with around with the mouse its terribly annoying, but if i dont use that mouse its not that bad... i believe its eax or sound related but iv set everything on lowest in the sound options and disables any mixing devices (not the sound) also when i quit it sttuters too i can only play for 2 minutes without problems.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dakan45

come one people my issue is terrible....

BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts

Need info about your hardware to help... you may want to go look at the valve KB.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dakan45
from what i googled the problem appears at all systems no matter if they are new or old, even in hl2 when it came out and source engine games like dark messiah and vampire masquarade also i tried the minium settings and many possible ways to fix this...still no luck..well done valve still no fix after all those years...
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Yeah I am pretty sure its a sound related issue. I had this before but I can't remember how I fixed it. Are you using surround sound? If so try switching it to stereo sound in the Windows control panel.

funked_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 funked_up
Member since 2009 • 716 Posts

Source is a horrible engine, and at launch it was even worse. Stuttering everywhere.

Here is a full article on the problem.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dakan45

Yeah I am pretty sure its a sound related issue. I had this before but I can't remember how I fixed it. Are you using surround sound? If so try switching it to stereo sound in the Windows control panel.

-Unreal-
meh only 2 speakers

Source is a horrible engine, and at launch it was even worse. Stuttering everywhere.

funked_up
i read that an uber mess isnt it?
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Try downloading a sound codec pack. I had a recent issue with Fallout 3 which had similar stuttering and it was resolved after I installed a codec pack. The game was using a specific version of a codec which was probably not fully compatible with other parts of the game engine.

This is the one I downloaded:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

funked_up
No stuttering for me so it must not be source and your computers. People are so quick to blame it on the game but fail to look at their crappy PC setups.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dakan45
[QUOTE="funked_up"]

gamer082009
No stuttering for me so it must not be source and your computers. People are so quick to blame it on the game but fail to look at their crappy PC setups.

they are millions out there and even vavle has akwnoledge the problem and it happens to many people on many source games and you didnt even read the full article in the link for crying out loud..... Its not a hardware or crappy setup related it just happens ,if not thats good if yes... well there is no salvation.....
S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 S0H0
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts
Stuttering: One of the most famous aspects of the Source Engine is its tendency for Stuttering, including skipping or looping audio at certain points, or periodically. The actual issue revolves around the way the engine is continually loading chunks of texture information on the fly from your hard drive into Video RAM - such as when you walk around a corner into a new area, or see a new creature - the audio pauses or skips at the same time. Let me be clear: it's not actually an audio issue, it's a general game engine issue. The early history of this issue is covered in greater detail here: Half Life 2 Stuttering. Over time Valve has released a range of updates which have minimized this issue with varying degrees of success.TweakGuides
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dakan45

Try downloading a sound codec pack. I had a recent issue with Fallout 3 which had similar stuttering and it was resolved after I installed a codec pack. The game was using a specific version of a codec which was probably not fully compatible with other parts of the game engine.

This is the one I downloaded:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

-Unreal-
unfortantly it didnt work....:cry:
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
is your computer old? Mine gets a solid 160+fps maxxed out. Latest drivers don't mean a thing if your running on a 9800pro AGP card.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dakan45
is your computer old? Mine gets a solid 160+fps maxxed out. Latest drivers don't mean a thing if your running on a 9800pro AGP card.ColdfireTrilogy
No its not, its weakest componet is a standard 2.6 dual core amd cpu.... i got 9800GTX+ 512 mb and 4gb ram...