Half Life 2 load points?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Hey, I just finished downloading the HL2 Holiday pack from Steam, running the game maxed out out easily over 80fps, I was just wondering why the game has load times pretty frequently whilst playing, walking along and then you get a load point, happened 3 times in the first level, wondered if there is anyway of getting rid of this, thanks.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
You can't get rid of them. Valve tried making it a seamless experience by having multiple very short loading times to save having a very large one...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V4LENT1NE
Thank God, I thought it was my machine or something:P, so far I havent noticed a drop in framerate and the game is looking incredible, the load times are only like 8 seconds and are only every few minutes so I guess its no big deal.
Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts
yea, trust me. it's not gonna ruin that great game. have fun.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 V4LENT1NE
I played it a little more and the first level did it more than the others, I think I am on the second level now and it seems to be more further apart so you get more action in between, longest it did it was 12 seconds so you are right its better than a Company of Heroes style loading screen:P. Great game so far, very clever with th physics and stuff, and maxed out this game still stands up to todays games.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I played it a little more and the first level did it more than the others, I think I am on the second level now and it seems to be more further apart so you get more action in between, longest it did it was 12 seconds so you are right its better than a Company of Heroes style loading screen:P. Great game so far, very clever with th physics and stuff, and maxed out this game still stands up to todays games.V4LENT1NE
I personally remember people cursing Valve with every insult under the Sun when Valve said that a source leak of code caused them to go back and redo the engine and delay the game for another 1 year. But when HL2 came out, it shut those naysayers up (myself included :) ) Its a really amazing game that all pc gamers must try at one point in their gaming lives.
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32931 Posts
You're just NOW playing HL2??!!What took you so long!! :o Well anyway, enjoy the best FPS i've ever played!! :D
champmanfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 champmanfan
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
I've recently replayed HL1 & HL2 & the load times are obviously much better in HL1 because I bearly notice it. But on HL2, it takes just over 20+secs to load the next bit of the level. Before I upgraded to a SATA RAID 0 setup, it took 50secs :evil: so I was glad with the improvement but felt it could have been done better.

Its mostly because HL2 is using alot of detailed textures, so try turning it down to get the right balance (if anyone has played Dark Messiah, they'll know thats even MORE demanding & very laggy on most PCs unless your PCs worth $3000+).

But I felt Valve planned too far ahead, making the game struggle on most PCs at the time it came out, so its only now that hardware is catching up. HL2: Episode 2 is optimised to be used on quad core CPU, anyone lucky enough to own one will been laughing at the performance & increased visuals.

You can't win, because your options are to:
  1. turn your settings down, including audio quality
  2. spend $3000 on a new PC or upgrade your existing PC within moderation
  3. don't buy the game - which is why I can't play the excellent  Supreme Commander :(
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 V4LENT1NE
I've recently replayed HL1 & HL2 & the load times are obviously much better in HL1 because I bearly notice it. But on HL2, it takes just over 20+secs to load the next bit of the level. Before I upgraded to a SATA RAID 0 setup, it took 50secs :evil: so I was glad with the improvement but felt it could have been done better.

Its mostly because HL2 is using alot of detailed textures, so try turning it down to get the right balance (if anyone has played Dark Messiah, they'll know thats even MORE demanding & very laggy on most PCs unless your PCs worth $3000+).

But I felt Valve planned too far ahead, making the game struggle on most PCs at the time it came out, so its only now that hardware is catching up. HL2: Episode 2 is optimised to be used on quad core CPU, anyone lucky enough to own one will been laughing at the performance & increased visuals.

3. don't buy the game - which is why I can't play the excellent Supreme Commander :(
champmanfan

The load points on mine arent actually that bad, longest was something like 16 seconds, I play the game maxed out aswell so that is likely the main cause, no big deal though, I have heard most people say they get a bit longer ones than that so its all good, the game just runs really well which I like, only when there are tons of barrels exploding of one another does the framerate drop, but even then the fps is still pretty good, probably averaging about 70fps, loving the game so far. I could never play stuff like this because I never had the PC, CS Source is awesome aswell, I can barely kill anyone but still its a fun game.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58538 Posts

3. don't buy the game - which is why I can't play the excellent  Supreme Commander :(

champmanfan

I am sorry your experience has been so bad, but the general consensus is that the Source engine is one of the most optimized and stable engines out there.  I mean, the game will run smoothly (albeit at 800x600) with medium textures on a less than 2.0GHz processor, 512 memory, and a Geforce 5000 series card or onboard graphics.  FEAR cant do that, Doom 3 cant do that, UT 2003/2004 cant do that, I dont even think Halo PC can do that.  More developers need to take cues from Valve and develop more optimised and less buggy game engines instead of focusing on the newest tech with the best looks.

Not to mention the game looks absolutely stunning on a high-end rig.  HDR and amazing textures and character models leads to a great looking game.  And I will take three 8-second load times per level than one 1-minute load time any time, but thats personal preference.

Domingo1093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Domingo1093
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts
These load points don t ruin that wonderful game at all. As many others, I only waited 15 seconds per load point which is totally correct. It only gives you the opportunity to relax a bit after having lived stressful and intense moments.....
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts
Hey, I just finished downloading the HL2 Holiday pack from Steam, running the game maxed out out easily over 80fps, I was just wondering why the game has load times pretty frequently whilst playing, walking along and then you get a load point, happened 3 times in the first level, wondered if there is anyway of getting rid of this, thanks.V4LENT1NE
God were those loading times annoying. I have RAM - USE IT!
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

Autoloads built in

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
It's kinda funny, really. I have an "average" pc, I can play Oblivion at low-medium settings. I can play Armed Assault on pretty high settings (especially view distance). And I can play HL2 just fine on medium-ish settings.

Funny how everybody is always whining that games are too slow. I doubt any consumer PC on the market right now can handle any of the previously mentioned games on all-high settings. Let alone on "pretty" high settings.
edgeofforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 edgeofforever
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts
[QUOTE="champmanfan"]I've recently replayed HL1 & HL2 & the load times are obviously much better in HL1 because I bearly notice it. But on HL2, it takes just over 20+secs to load the next bit of the level. Before I upgraded to a SATA RAID 0 setup, it took 50secs :evil: so I was glad with the improvement but felt it could have been done better.

mrbojangles25

I am sorry your experience has been so bad, but the general consensus is that the Source engine is one of the most optimized and stable engines out there.  I mean, the game will run smoothly (albeit at 800x600) with medium textures on a less than 2.0GHz processor, 512 memory, and a Geforce 5000 series card or onboard graphics.  FEAR cant do that, Doom 3 cant do that, UT 2003/2004 cant do that, I dont even think Halo PC can do that.  More developers need to take cues from Valve and develop more optimised and less buggy game engines instead of focusing on the newest tech with the best looks.

Not to mention the game looks absolutely stunning on a high-end rig.  HDR and amazing textures and character models leads to a great looking game.  And I will take three 8-second load times per level than one 1-minute load time any time, but thats personal preference.

I've got a 1.7GHz, with 512RAM and a Geforce 3TI and Half-life 2 runs really well, halo doesn't. I love the Source engine.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 V4LENT1NE
It is a great engine, I barely see slowdown, and you are right, I would take a 15 second loading time any day over a minute black screen. I am really suprised how well the framerate on the source engine holds up, I can get the odd stutter whilst waking around as you get in most games, probably just small things loading up, but on a whole its amazing, just did the airboat sequence and it was rock solid smooth which was very suprising. Only noticable slowdown I have had was CS Source when 20 guys were in a room shooting the hell out of each other:lol:
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
no, but its a lot faster than other big games from 3 years ago
champmanfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 champmanfan
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
These load points don t ruin that wonderful game at all. As many others, I only waited 15 seconds per load point which is totally correct. It only gives you the opportunity to relax a bit after having lived stressful and intense moments.....Domingo1093

I do remember so bloke from Valve saying the loads times can act as a time for a breather, but not after just 2-3mins in some points, although it spaces out more later on in the game.

I play the game 1280x1024 with most settings high but I turned off the crappy HDR a while ago since it looks awful to me, although I did like it at first when it came out. So its not my PC thats the prob, but I'm aware that many people don't play or can't play with high settings & res unless its a new PC, but mines 3 year old so its lasted; although I plan to buy a new top-end PC in the summer ready for Episdode 2 if it ever comes out. It'll last 8 hours this time :)
the_hippo207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_hippo207
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

You can't get rid of them. Valve tried making it a seamless experience by having multiple very short loading times to save having a very large one...FragMonkey09

yah, its not ur pc. it does the same thing on my machine. have fun with one of the greatest games of all time