GUILD WARS MEGA-THREAD - See 1st page for helpful info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

There are waaaay too many topics on Guild Wars right now and of course the all too popular GW vs. WoW topics, so in the hope to alleviate that, please keep all Guild Wars discussion(s) in this thread. This includes news/info/tips/hints/praises/gripes/etc on chapters, professions, builds, gameplay, problems and anything else related to Guild Wars.

Guild Wars 2 - Finally we get something!!

Guild Wars official site - Online Gaming with NO fees.

Guild Wars support

GuildWiki - Best site, recommended by many.

Guild Wars OGaming site

GWOnline Unofficial site

GW on Wikipedia

PVXwiki.com - Great site for builds

GW help site

GW Fansites

Download the Client here!

NightFall Info (Added Sept. 19th, 2006)

Latest patch: It patches itself!!! :wink:

Stickied on September 17th, 2006! Too Cool!

Newest update, Guild Wars 2 FAQ:

http://guildwars.com/products/guildwars2/gw2faq/

Added 6/27/08

rsth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rsth
Member since 2004 • 424 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Drunkentig3r
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

There are waaaay too many topics on Guild Wars right now and of course the all too popular GW vs. WoW topics, so in the hope to alleviate that, please keep all Guild Wars discussion(s) in this thread. This includes news/info/tips/hints/praises/gripes/etc on chapters, professions, builds, gameplay, problems and anything else related to Guild Wars.

Guild Wars official site

Guild Wars support

GameWikis - Best site, recommended by many here.

Guild Wars OGaming site

GWOnline Unofficial site

GW on Wikipedia

GW help site

GW Fansites

Download the Client here!

Latest patch: It patches itself!!! :wink:

BTW, it isn't stickied yet, but I hope it will be soon!

rsth

guildwars sucks! as this sucky thread proves...

Shush.  The Gamespot forums has enough ignorance floating around without you adding onto it.  Anywho, great job-seems you took my advice to heart and then some!
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I dont know why we need mega threads. I think they suck. To many conversations goin on at once and it becomes boring. I prefer single issue threads (especially the vs threads), people tend to get crazy and flames begin ;)
Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Drunkentig3r
I dont know why we need mega threads. I think they suck. To many conversations goin on at once and it becomes boring. I prefer single issue threads (especially the vs threads), people tend to get crazy and flames begin ;)dnuggs40

Well, conversely, problem with those single issue threads is that they come up way too often, and so many posters just ignore them altogether.  If this thread is stickied (and I do believe it should be, even though I'm not a huge GW fan), at least there would be one place for the minority of the Gamespot posters who have some brains to come and talk about Guild Wars. 
PC-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PC-Gamer
Member since 2006 • 463 Posts
Yay! Finally us Guild Wars fans have our own thread. :D
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dnuggs40

Ok, I got a GW question. I haven't played in a few months, but are Smiter teams still running rampant in the game? That kinda thing really turned me off with the PvP. At first it was great, then all these pre-built team starting to appear (smiters, the all ranger one, and a few others I cant remember). Also, how hard is it getting into a good pvp guild these days? I got booted from my guild (we were 73rd at one point :) ) b/c I stopped playing. I would like to maybe get back into the game but would like to join a fairly good pvp guild that is not too strict.

edit:  I have like 2 pve lvl 20's (E/N, W/Mo) with almost all elite skills.  I probally a little rusty but when I played alot I was pretty good. 

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

Yay! Finally us Guild Wars fans have our own thread. :DPC-Gamer

yay!  all 3 of you!!  lol, sorry...  had to be said.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

guildwars sucks! as this sucky thread proves...
rsth

GuildWars (Prophecies) is one of the 5 best PC games of the last 5 years.....period.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="PC-Gamer"]Yay! Finally us Guild Wars fans have our own thread. :Dweirjf

ummm....you mean the millions of us?

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dnuggs40

LOL I was going to say that too, I didn't want to be a dick though.

edit:  Nothing personal against GW, but that was the perfect set up :)

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weirjf
[QUOTE="weirjf"]

[QUOTE="PC-Gamer"]Yay! Finally us Guild Wars fans have our own thread. :DAFBrat77

yes, I actually thought there was only 3 GW fans...  now I know why I like WoW better.  :roll:

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AFBrat77
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"][QUOTE="weirjf"]

yes, I actually thought there was only 3 GW fans...  now I know why I like WoW better.  :roll:

WoW is a good game, but lets face it, quite a bit of its popularity is because its a Blizzard game AND has Warcraft in the title.

GW didn't have that luxury and still sold millions anyways, Factions was the best selling game a couple months ago, maybe still is. GW's sales are much more impressive, because ArenaNet didn't have the Blizzard/Warcraft name behind it to push it along.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 weirjf

WoW is a good game, but lets face it, quite a bit of its popularity is because its a Blizzard game AND has Warcraft in the title.

GW didn't have that luxury and still sold millions anyways, Factions was the best selling game a couple months ago, maybe still is. GW's sales are much more impressive, because ArenaNet didn't have the Blizzard/Warcraft name behind it.

I agree with that, but that isn't what keeps 6.5 million people paying to play every month.  I know for myself, I love the vibrant environment and all the areas I've seen in the 2d Warcraft games and the characters I've played and fought.  There is that fan popularity, but that's just a small reason for the continued play.  GW doesn't have the name, but the fan base is nearly fanatic about it and word-of-mouth has gotten around.  That's why I tried it, because I had a buddy that swore by it.  I had quit WoW and was trying other games assuming there had to be something better, or at least free and close.  Now, I'm back to WoW and having more fun with it than ever.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GPAddict

GW didn't have that luxury and still sold millions anyways, Factions was the best selling game a couple months ago, maybe still is. GW's sales are much more impressive, because ArenaNet didn't have the Blizzard/Warcraft name behind it.

weirjf

I agree with that, but that isn't what keeps 6.5 million people paying to play every month.  I know for myself, I love the vibrant environment and all the areas I've seen in the 2d Warcraft games and the characters I've played and fought.  There is that fan popularity, but that's just a small reason for the continued play.  GW doesn't have the name, but the fan base is nearly fanatic about it and word-of-mouth has gotten around.  That's why I tried it, because I had a buddy that swore by it.  I had quit WoW and was trying other games assuming there had to be something better, or at least free and close.  Now, I'm back to WoW and having more fun with it than ever.

Good to know, but this is a megathread about GW not WoW, remember you guys got your own Megathread. :wink:

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dnuggs40

Ok, I got a GW question. I haven't played in a few months, but are Smiter teams still running rampant in the game? That kinda thing really turned me off with the PvP. At first it was great, then all these pre-built team starting to appear (smiters, the all ranger one, and a few others I cant remember). Also, how hard is it getting into a good pvp guild these days? I got booted from my guild (we were 73rd at one point :) ) b/c I stopped playing. I would like to maybe get back into the game but would like to join a fairly good pvp guild that is not too strict.

edit:  I have like 2 pve lvl 20's (E/N, W/Mo) with almost all elite skills.  I probally a little rusty but when I played alot I was pretty good. 

dnuggs40

Anybody? Cmon I asked a question about GW on a GW mega thread...
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GPAddict
Anybody? Cmon I asked a question about GW on a GW mega thread...dnuggs40

Hey this megathread is like only 4 or so hours old, give it some time to develop. :wink:

I'm at level 20 and still trying to get through the game, and learning how to play an assassin (which is quite challenging I might add). I am in a guild, but we haven't even been in a GvG match yet. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 weirjf

Good to know, but this is a megathread about GW not WoW, remember you guys got your own Megathread. :wink:

Hey, I mentioned "GW" in my post.  hehe  :D

Yet another free bump for the GW mega thread

siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 siskokidd
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
I'm thinking about being a Monk/Ranger or vice-versa. Which one should I be? Also, can someone use secondary profession weapons and or armor? Or with a secondary profession does it only include attributes and skills?
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
While a secondarys weapons, offhand items and skills can be used by the primary, its armor, runes and primary attribute can not. NOTE: While you can use the primary attribute of the secondary professions, you can still use its skills.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts
You can only use your primary armor. You can however use any weapons, but some weapons require a level of a certain attribute.

I have a Warrior/Monk and he's very good for new players. Actually, I made a female, but she can tank a lot of damage, has some good skills and what not. I bought an assassin secondary and I'm trying that out as well.

My second account is sin/warrior and yep, it is quite challenging. I only made it because I had good assassin weapon that I wanted to use.

I'm going to get Prophecies after a while. There's some good skills like Dolyack signet which gives you bonus armor to tank.

And what do I hate about guild wars? People I see always ask for specific builds on characters. You don't play how the group wants you to? You are kicked. It's not as easy as joining a server in CS and playing. It gets frustrating when it takes hours to get a 12 man group going for elite missions.
dareevil87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dareevil87
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

how do you jump in the game? is jump some elite skill you get when ure high level?

also for some reason when i leave town, i am all by myself, no one is around :( am i brocken or something

Annexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Annexx
Member since 2004 • 854 Posts
^^ Haha very funny... As much I like GW, I don't think it needs a Megathread....there are just too many stickies these days...
Annexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Annexx
Member since 2004 • 854 Posts
Plus each game has there own forum. All GW fans should just talk in there...
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GPAddict

^^ Haha very funny... As much I like GW, I don't think it needs a Megathread....there are just too many stickies these days...Annexx

Too bad, its too late, you already posted in it twice. :wink:

We cant jump in Guild Wars, but we sure can dance!!!

Check it out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9113116149793428257

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AFBrat77

Just curious, I haven't tried this yet....

I have a level 17 Mesmer/Warrior, can she stack Hex Spells on her enemies, or do they cancel each other out?

Also, can you use more than 1 rune on the same Armor or weapons?

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GPAddict

I have a level 17 Mesmer/Warrior, can she stack Hex Spells on her enemies, or do they cancel each other out?

AFBrat77

Any piece of armor can only have 1 rune at most. If you try putting another one on it, it will replace the existing one.

Runes do not work on weapons. For weapons, you need mod-upgrades (bowstrings, sword hilts, dagger tangs, staff wrappings, etc). A (non-green) weapon can be modified by a max of 2 different upgrades so long as they are different types (Bow string & bow grip for example).

As for hexes, ones of the same name overlap with existing ones of the same name. So, for example, if you try to hex a foe with Conjure Phantasm that is already affected by Conjure Phantasm, it does not stack and cause -10 degen. The duration of the hex is extended this way, however, since the newer cast version will no doubt have a later point for when the hex ends.

If 2 characters cast the same hex at a foe, then they overlap with the stronger version (effect-wise and duration-wise) being applied while it is in effect.

Hexes of different names (for example, Conjure Phantasm + Life Siphon) do stack.

scratzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 scratzin
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts
Never liked GW much. It doesn't "grab" me like other games
siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 siskokidd
So I can play with people from Factions and when Nightfall comes out I can play with those people even though I only have Prophecies?
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GPAddict

So I can play with people from Factions and when Nightfall comes out I can play with those people even though I only have Prophecies?siskokidd

Technically they are stand-alone expansions, chapters if you will. And yes you can play with people that have the First Chapter: Prophecies and/or the Second Chapter: Factions. Chapter 3: Nightfall is not out yet.

I'm having dejavu...

siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 siskokidd
lol
siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 siskokidd
can I still play with other people with a Factions profession if I only have Prophecies? Also can I play with people who have Factions Weapons,upgrades, and other stuff?
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GPAddict

can I still play with other people with a Factions profession if I only have Prophecies? Also can I play with people who have Factions Weapons,upgrades, and other stuff?siskokidd

Sorry so late on reply...

Yes you can, But if you have only a Prophecies account Factions people can only play with you if:

1. They have (A linked Prophecies/Factions accont)

2. They can only play with you in the Prophecies world, and I believe they must have unlock same town/location you are in.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GPAddict

http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/pressrelease-2006-08-24.php

For those that didn't already know, Guild Wars: NightFall, the third chapter is coming October 27th, 2006!!!!

Video: http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/video/

Screenshots: http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/screenshots/nightfall/default.php

Box art: http://www.vgboxart.com/view/3843/guild.wars.nightfall/

Seffiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Seffiroth
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
Is a megathread really necessary? Or are you just trying to say GW is better than WoW? Is this thread just trying to counter WoW's megathread? Seems like it -.- When will the world come to see that WoW and GW cannot be compared......GW and WoW fanboys can be so ignorant...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40
Is a megathread really necessary? Or are you just trying to say GW is better than WoW? Is this thread just trying to counter WoW's megathread? Seems like it -.- When will the world come to see that WoW and GW cannot be compared......GW and WoW fanboys can be so ignorant...Seffiroth
Of course they can be compared.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GPAddict

Is a megathread really necessary? Or are you just trying to say GW is better than WoW? Is this thread just trying to counter WoW's megathread? Seems like it -.- When will the world come to see that WoW and GW cannot be compared......GW and WoW fanboys can be so ignorant...Seffiroth

Is a megathread really necessary?  To me and other GW fans, yes.

Or are you just trying to say GW is better than WoW? Um No, its a megathead for info, questions, etc.

Is this thread just trying to counter WoW's megathread? Um No, I just wanted to make a Megathread for my favorite game.

As far as your statement is concerned, um ya sure. :roll:

Seffiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Seffiroth
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
I am also a fan of GW. Ehhh, could be better, it's not that immersive, but it's still fun. One question. Should I get GW: Prophecies or Disgaea II/Xenosaga III?
Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drunkentig3r
Nice to see your keeping this up GPAddict, but you should try adding some third-party GW websites besides pages from the official Guild Wars website.  I know for sure there are tons of websites that provide a mine of information, stuff you couldn't even get anywhere else, not even on the official website.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AFBrat77
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

GPAddict

Any piece of armor can only have 1 rune at most. If you try putting another one on it, it will replace the existing one.

Runes do not work on weapons. For weapons, you need mod-upgrades (bowstrings, sword hilts, dagger tangs, staff wrappings, etc). A (non-green) weapon can be modified by a max of 2 different upgrades so long as they are different types (Bow string & bow grip for example).

As for hexes, ones of the same name overlap with existing ones of the same name. So, for example, if you try to hex a foe with Conjure Phantasm that is already affected by Conjure Phantasm, it does not stack and cause -10 degen. The duration of the hex is extended this way, however, since the newer cast version will no doubt have a later point for when the hex ends.

If 2 characters cast the same hex at a foe, then they overlap with the stronger version (effect-wise and duration-wise) being applied while it is in effect.

Hexes of different names (for example, Conjure Phantasm + Life Siphon) do stack.

Thanks for answering, you did a very good job addressing my questions.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GPAddict

Your very welcome.

If I ever don't know the answer, I have alot of good friends in the GW community that are very knowledgeable on the game. So c'mon guys ask away! And valid questions please, not a question like, can I be a female assassin. Of course you can! :wink:

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GPAddict

I am also a fan of GW. Ehhh, could be better, it's not that immersive, but it's still fun. One question. Should I get GW: Prophecies or Disgaea II/Xenosaga III?Seffiroth

Well if you are a fan of GW, then obviously get GW Propehies. Are you playing Factions, and wondering if you should try the Original?

SuperRacerC91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#45 SuperRacerC91
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts
Ok so sry but I'm a huge noob to this world and PC gaming period. I've got the controls down but not to many features. I have a ton of questions and would really like it if someone would help explain them to me. My major question is I just bought Guild Wars GOY Edition and Guild Ward Factions. I've been playing the original since about three days ago when I got it, but I just bought Factions about two hours ago. Sat down and installed it and don't quite understand the differences. I went to make a new character and the Factions section is still locked. I'm wondering if I have to beat the prophecies campaign and tehm I'm allowed to play the Factions campaign. Then if this happens will I be able to carry my character over. I also would really enjoy understanding hte PvP area and why it requires a special characterto be built. I want to know where the main people like craftsman are in towns, where would I search for them, and what can I do with these Loadstones. How do I enchant stuff, is it through the craftsman? And now That I have Guild Wars Factions, Do I even need to put the original Guild Wars disc in every time to play or will the Factions disc suffice? Thanks for any help you all can provide me as I'm to new to go crazy yet.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GPAddict

SuperRacerC91:

http://www.guildwars.com/support/faq/guildwarsfactions-faq.php

Go to that link above first.

You need to link the two Guild Wars accounts together. I've never needed the CD to play GW. Maybe because I always just download and install the client.

You can find crafters in certain locations, as you travel/explore the GW World you will the crafters.

I remember the first time playing GW I was so lost, it took me about a week to figure out what the heck was going on.

Anymore questions? Feel free to ask them here. And that goes for all you other GW fans out there!!! :)

siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 siskokidd
When I'm a ranger do I lose my pet after a while?
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AFBrat77

When I'm a ranger do I lose my pet after a while?siskokidd

I could be wrong but i think you only lose your pet if you remove the skill to charm pet, in other words keep it among your 8 skills if you want your pet to be with you

siskokidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 siskokidd
that's what i did. I removed that skill. thanks.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GPAddict

Level 37

Heiankyo Alien

AFBrat77

I never noticed before, but man you really like to post alot! DANG!!! :)