GTX 760 - Adaptive V-Sync screen tearing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

So I just recently built my first gaming pc a couple months ago, and a problem that I have been having since its creation is screen tearing.  Adaptive V-Sync was something that really pushed me over to the Nvidia side, but it does not appear to be working the way it was intended.  For the most part it is not a huge deal, I can enable regular V-Sync for most games (I game at 1080p) and get stable 60 FPS, but for a few games like Splinter Cell: Blacklist I can enable TXAA 4x which looks really nice, but brings me to a stable 30 with regular V-Sync rather than 60.  I am mostly wondering if I am doing something wrong when I enable Adaptive V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel (I have tried both globally and application-specific) because my screen seems to tear quite a bit when I have it running still, almost as if I didn't have any V-Sync on at all.  Am I doing something wrong?

TL;DR: My Adaptive V-Sync is still tearing the screen no matter how I try to enable it, am I doing something wrong?

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

You've got triple buffering turned on, right?

I go with frame rate limiting and never see a single screen tear on games that can render that fast. With Nvidia Inspector (Google it), I set the frame rate limit in Nvidia's drivers to five frames below my monitor's refresh rate and that eliminates screen tears. (Note that setting the frame limit to the same as your refresh rate will still give you tearing.)

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Adaptive, if I understand right, adjusts itself off and on depending on the frame rate. If all games display screen tearing, maybe the AA is causing enough slowdown for the card that it disables vsync. Try either forcing Vsync On or Off always, or per game title under Program Settings. Honestly, unless I know I'm getting 60fps or more with AA, I'll leave vsync forced off for everything. Personally, I've gone Nvidia the past few upgrades because of Physx and CUDA.
Avatar image for The_Animator420
The_Animator420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Animator420
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts
You went with Nvidia because of V-Sync? Most people complain about V-Sync and always turn it off.
Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

So I just recently built my first gaming pc a couple months ago, and a problem that I have been having since its creation is screen tearing.  Adaptive V-Sync was something that really pushed me over to the Nvidia side, but it does not appear to be working the way it was intended.  For the most part it is not a huge deal, I can enable regular V-Sync for most games (I game at 1080p) and get stable 60 FPS, but for a few games like Splinter Cell: Blacklist I can enable TXAA 4x which looks really nice, but brings me to a stable 30 with regular V-Sync rather than 60.  I am mostly wondering if I am doing something wrong when I enable Adaptive V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel (I have tried both globally and application-specific) because my screen seems to tear quite a bit when I have it running still, almost as if I didn't have any V-Sync on at all.  Am I doing something wrong?

TL;DR: My Adaptive V-Sync is still tearing the screen no matter how I try to enable it, am I doing something wrong?

Schreek
you should try running windows experience index. For some odd reason when i do a fresh install i get mad screen taring on everything. After i run windows experience index the screen taring go's away. I don't get it but it's what i have to do every time.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

You went with Nvidia because of V-Sync? Most people complain about V-Sync and always turn it off. The_Animator420
No, that is not why I went with Nvidia, it was just one of the perks (I thought).  And most people don't turn off V-Sync, doing so with even a decent system will give you screen tearing.