GTA V Won't Launch/Start after Installing It

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

So I just spent last night installing the physical copy of GTA V on my computer (went this way because I like having the box art) and after a couple hours I made it through all 7 discs. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get into the game, mainly the online (already played it on PS3 so the big draw here is playing with friends online).

I go to click on the main GTA V launch icon in the desktop, it loads for a second, brings up the little GTA V splash screen, then disappears, and then nothing. The same happened with the GTA V Online desktop icon. So then I decided to restart my computer.

After that I try again with the same results. Then I go into my computer's directory and find the launcher that way. Again, same results.

I have no idea what the issue could be, but needless to say I am on a mission to figure it out (which is why I'm asking the forums since I'm not a huge PC guy when it comes to troubleshooting).

If anyone knows of this issue, has had anything similar, or most importantly, may have an idea for a fix, it is much appreciated.

*I tried the repair feature that they provided, and it did nothing.

**Running with Windows 7, not sure if that matters

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

One reason given by Rockstar is if you're using a Windows PC log-in with an unconventional character.

http://www.pcgamer.com/if-you-cant-install-or-play-gta-5-right-now-this-might-be-why/

I bought the Steam version and I have a simple Windows log-in name. So, no problems on my side.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

if you are using a laptop with optimus (i.e. it has intel integrated graphics and a GTX780M or something) then:

• go to device manager and disable the dedicated graphics card.
  • launch the game and let it run all its updates and launch.
  • after that quit the game and re-enable the graphics card.
  • launch the game again and it should work.

Note: remember to add the GTA5exe to your optimus list. also if rockstar social club goes into an infinite loading loop then quit and make sure the social club application has administrator access.

i had this issue but i no longer need to disable the dedicated graphics chip to launch the game now.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueboxdoctor

Thanks, but unfortunately neither of these seem to be an option. I don't think I can do the disable graphics card work around, as I only have a 760 ti, so IDK what it would go to if that is disabled.

I'm not sure what an unconventional character would be, but I don't think that should be an issue.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blueboxdoctor

I am downloading the new driver for GTA for my graphics card now, not sure if it'll help, but probably can't hurt, will come back with an update.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@blueboxdoctor said:

Thanks, but unfortunately neither of these seem to be an option. I don't think I can do the disable graphics card work around, as I only have a 760 ti, so IDK what it would go to if that is disabled.

I'm not sure what an unconventional character would be, but I don't think that should be an issue.

It's just a process of elimination. If your PC login has anything besides letters and numbers, then it would be considered an unconventional character. But, I think it's a problem mainly with Windows 8/8.1.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueboxdoctor

Alright, got the new driver for the graphics card, now I can get to the part with social club. And now I officially hate the social club. It keeps telling me "Social Club failed to load due to an incomplete installation (code 9)" and I have about had it with this game now.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I hope you have fast connection, because what you can do is download the whole game through them.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blueboxdoctor

OK, all is getting a little better now. Got the social club to work (I think) and last I did was have it download the 5 gig thing it required (not sure if it is a patch or just extra game data). That was done over night so will check today to see how that went. With any luck it may have worked and I'll be able to jump online with some friends tonight.