GTA 4 wont work! help please:)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

hi guys and girls

bought gta 4, very excited etc.

installed it. screen goes black for 1 minute approx. then loads. intro vid loads, and crashes every time before the end of it. a complete system reboot!

reinstalled it. update drivers. patched gta 4to 1.03. uninstalled microsoft framework and installed latest version (3.5). restarted etc, and i still have the same problems!!

i managed once to get as far as the game itself, but only by skipping the intro vid. it ran smoothly enough for the half minute it did actually run!

specs are:

q6600@ 2.8ghz

512mb 4850

xp service pack 3

3.2 gb of 1066mhz ram

EDIT: i might well be missing something really obvious, so please share anything!

im at a loss as to what to do next, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Test to see if anyother of your games are working. If your other games are having these problems then you have a hardware problem, possibly due to overheating or even failures. If other games are working fine then its the game. All i can suggest is to uninistall the game and delete any files associated with it and they try are reinstall it to see if that works. If that doesnt work then im at a loss to tell you whats wrong, other than you have a bad disk or something.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

A problem with the video drivers I guess? Try updating them...

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chris_53

Crimsader
hes tried that
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jpph

Crimsader

yep, did that, they're the most current ones now.

however, il try again, because ive had some bad experiences with catalyst drivers

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jpph

Test to see if anyother of your games are working. If your other games are having these problems then you have a hardware problem, possibly due to overheating or even failures. If other games are working fine then its the game. All i can suggest is to uninistall the game and delete any files associated with it and they try are reinstall it to see if that works. If that doesnt work then im at a loss to tell you whats wrong, other than you have a bad disk or something. Chris_53

other games are working fine!

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chris_53
I would just try uninstalling the game and removing everything related to it and then reinstall it and see if that works
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jpph

I would just try uninstalling the game and removing everything related to it and then reinstall it and see if that worksChris_53

i already did that

i got rid of rockstar social club as well if thats what you mean

thanks for replies tho buddy

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chris_53
Its no problem, sorry I couldnt help much more. Ive never had it on PC, got it on Xbox360 though. Im starting to wonder if they have given you a faulty disk or something.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jpph

anyone else care to contribute??

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

jpph
If your running it from Vista try run as administrator,but to be honest if your system rebooted while starting the game,then there is a driver conflict. When you updated your graphics drivers,did you uninstall the old ones etc?
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ducati101
[QUOTE="ducati101"][QUOTE="jpph"]

If your running it from Vista try run as administrator,but to be honest if your system rebooted while starting the game,then there is a driver conflict. When you updated your graphics drivers,did you uninstall the old ones etc?

Forget the Vista bit,my bad. Didnt see you wrote Xp sp3.
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ducati101
[QUOTE="ducati101"][QUOTE="jpph"]

ducati101

Oh wait ATI 4850! There's ypur problem there.There were known issues with ATI cards. Check ATI's website about fixes,also when you update its drivers YOU MUST REMOVE THE OLD ONES! Very important. I've got an Nvidia card,runs like a dream for me.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jpph

[QUOTE="ducati101"][QUOTE="ducati101"] If your running it from Vista try run as administrator,but to be honest if your system rebooted while starting the game,then there is a driver conflict. When you updated your graphics drivers,did you uninstall the old ones etc?ducati101

Oh wait ATI 4850! There's ypur problem there.There were known issues with ATI cards. Check ATI's website about fixes,also when you update its drivers YOU MUST REMOVE THE OLD ONES! Very important. I've got an Nvidia card,runs like a dream for me.

cheers for replies

ok, i think i did remove the old ones. but i will try again, report back soon.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jpph

i removed the old drivers by uninstaling them, deleting ati stuff in the registry, and deleting anything ati after doing a search for it. i may not have done it perfectly! so please point out something i may have done wrong

i installed the latest ati drivers, restarted etc, then pretty much the same thing happened. i loaded gta 4, it took a full minute or so of a black screen before it started, menu, started the game, this time it almost got through the intro movie, then crashed to desktop with the resc10 error.

i rebooted, tried again, it actually made it past the intro movie this time! i played happily for 2 minutes or so, then a complete system crash.

any ideas?

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
rsec 10 is out of video memory error .. try lowering the setting by reducing texture quality to medium or lower and other lower settings also. Also turn off the video capture.
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ducati101
rsec 10 is out of video memory error .. try lowering the setting by reducing texture quality to medium or lower and other lower settings also. Also turn off the video capture. naval
Thats the only other thing i can think of.
NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

I use Driver Sweeper to remove all unwanted driver components before I install new ones.

you can get it here http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ducati101
[QUOTE="NeilCardiff"]

I use Driver Sweeper to remove all unwanted driver components before I install new ones.

I think what he did was enough to remove the old drivers. Naval's solution seems to be the other one to try.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jpph

[QUOTE="naval"]rsec 10 is out of video memory error .. try lowering the setting by reducing texture quality to medium or lower and other lower settings also. Also turn off the video capture. ducati101
Thats the only other thing i can think of.

yep, already did this, and made sure the resource usage option thing was well below the 483mb available to me. then i lowered everything again, so it was nearly 200mb below. and both times it just did a system crash. most of the time it does that, the resc10 has only come up twice since i got it.

perhaps if i did a complete recovery or something of my c drive? plus obviously a fresh install of drivers etc

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jpph

NeilCardiff

yep i used that when i removed all the old drivers as well

Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts

hi guys and girls

installed it. screen goes black for 1 minute approx. then loads. intro vid loads, and crashes every time before the end of it. a complete system reboot!

reinstalled it. update drivers. patched gta 4to 1.03. uninstalled microsoft framework and installed latest version (3.5). restarted etc, and i still have the same problems!!

i managed once to get as far as the game itself, but only by skipping the intro vid. it ran smoothly enough for the half minute it did actually run!

specs are:

q6600@ 2.8ghz

512mb 4850

xp service pack 3

3.2 gb of 1066mhz ram

EDIT: i might well be missing something really obvious, so please share anything!

im at a loss as to what to do next, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

jpph
Congradulatins on picking up the worst optimized console-to-pc port in existance.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jpph

[QUOTE="jpph"]

hi guys and girls

specs are:

q6600@ 2.8ghz

512mb 4850

xp service pack 3

3.2 gb of 1066mhz ram

Vlaimir_Lem86

Congradulatins on picking up the worst optimized console-to-pc port in existance.

thanks man, i appreciate that, its really helpful.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
this is pretty strange, though when I had a poor power supply I do remember my pc restarting. Since you other games are working fine, don't know what's the issue here
Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts

[QUOTE="Vlaimir_Lem86"][QUOTE="jpph"]

hi guys and girls

specs are:

q6600@ 2.8ghz

512mb 4850

xp service pack 3

3.2 gb of 1066mhz ram

jpph

thanks man, i appreciate that, its really helpful.

Anytime man, anytime.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 hrah
Member since 2003 • 1375 Posts

Maybe this will help

http://how-2-do.blogspot.com/2008/12/download-ati-fix-for-gta-iv.html

there's also this

http://www.yougamers.com/news/21808_got_gta_iv_problems_we_got_some_fixes/

dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
Try CCCleaner to remove driver files and temp files and try
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jpph

Maybe this will help

there's also this

hrah

i tried installing the first one, after uninstaling old drivers etc, and im getting the same problem. system crash after 2 minutes or so.

i would reinstall xp, but i dont have the disc. is there any other way of doing it?
i just took xp from an old computer for my current one, i just pulled out the hardrive and stuck it in. a lot of people said it wouldnt work, but i did so ive just left it. however, apparently it wouldnt work cos i dont have the right xp drivers (it did work tho), but perhaps this is the cause. but i dont know how to reinstall xp now.

any other ideas?

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ducati101

[QUOTE="hrah"]

Maybe this will help

there's also this

jpph

i tried installing the first one, after uninstaling old drivers etc, and im getting the same problem. system crash after 2 minutes or so.

i would reinstall xp, but i dont have the disc. is there any other way of doing it?
i just took xp from an old computer for my current one, i just pulled out the hardrive and stuck it in. a lot of people said it wouldnt work, but i did so ive just left it. however, apparently it wouldnt work cos i dont have the right xp drivers (it did work tho), but perhaps this is the cause. but i dont know how to reinstall xp now.

any other ideas?

I'm out of ideas,sorry. It runs perfectly on my system to be honest. I've got a feeling it has something to do with your ATI card.