Graphics card removal problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Will2Live (526 posts) -

Today I finally decided to upgrade my graphics card, the only thing keeping me back from current gen PC games. Everything was going fine until I had to take out the current graphics card, an ATI Radeon X800. After removing the screw I then tried to take it out of the slot (like anyone else would do). However, it would not move. After about an hour of pulling and searching for what was holding it back (and it was only being held back on one side) I gave up.

If anyone has the slightest idea what might be wrong here I would greatly appreciate the help. It's just infuriating that I'm being prevented from the Orange Box by a problem that really shouldn't exist.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
#2 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7515 posts) -

There is usually a small tab at the bottom of the graphics slot, which locks the card in place. Did you unlock it?

#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (22986 posts) -

Theres a relase tab on the right side the slot of the video card, or a tab you got bend toward the bottom of motherboard.

or

#4 Posted by Will2Live (526 posts) -

. . . Wow. That's it? I officially feel like an idiot. Thank you guys for your help.

#5 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -

If you still have problems getting it out let us know. I had to tug at mine for awhile to get it out, just pull pretty hard, you won't mess it up.

#6 Posted by Will2Live (526 posts) -

Well. . . I got it out, then I realized that the graphics card wasn't fit for an AGP slot. Ungh, this just isn't my day. Thanks again to you guys for your help. I just kinda wish I wasn't such a noob at computer hardware.

#7 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -

Well. . . I got it out, then I realized that the graphics card wasn't fit for an AGP slot. Ungh, this just isn't my day. Thanks again to you guys for your help. I just kinda wish I wasn't such a noob at computer hardware.

Will2Live

You'll learn, it just takes time and experience. You've already learned the difference between AGP and PCI express, and you've learned how to remove a gpu!