Graphics Card Overheating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 General_Rambo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have a BFG Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT and downloaded ntune for the Nvidia control panel to check the temperature. The GPU starts from boot at 50 degrees C but after browsing on the internet for 15-20 minutes (no gaming), the temperature goes to 57-58 degrees C. Is this temperature normal for this kind of graphics card or is it overheating?
ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShaizanHgh
Member since 2006 • 1022 Posts
The card is within normal operating temperatures.
General_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 General_Rambo

The card is within normal operating temperatures.ShaizanHgh

Ok, that's great news then. Thank you so much for the replying.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
Once you start seeing 70-80C thats when I would start worrying.. BUT your card is totaly safe up too 100C.. I WOULD NEVER want to be that high though. My 9600GT sits around 39C surfing the net.. My fan does not have speed control and sits at 100% all the time.. kinda annoying,
TheFreeloader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheFreeloader
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

If you are in doubt wether or not it is to hot, then download ATItool and check for artifacts in a couple of minutes, if you dont get any, your GPU aint overheating. And if you do get artifacts then you can try and turn up your gpu fan speed. You can do that with Rivatune.

You can see how both things are done here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245841-11-guide-overclocking-video-cards-warning (and overclock how to overclock your GPU)

General_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 General_Rambo

If you are in doubt wether or not it is to hot, then download ATItool and check for artifacts in a couple of minutes, if you dont get any, your GPU aint overheating. And if you do get artifacts then you can try and turn up your gpu fan speed. You can do that with Rivatune.

You can see how both things are done here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245841-11-guide-overclocking-video-cards-warning (and overclock how to overclock your GPU)

TheFreeloader

Thanks. Would of been very handy if the images are not deleted.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

Once you start seeing 70-80C thats when I would start worrying.. BUT your card is totaly safe up too 100C.. I WOULD NEVER want to be that high though. My 9600GT sits around 39C surfing the net.. My fan does not have speed control and sits at 100% all the time.. kinda annoying,SinfulPotato

Agreed, it won't hurt the card, but it can cause instability on some cards. My 7800gt would not be stable at 70+ C and would crash the computer.