Graphics card cooling solutions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XenoReseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XenoReseller
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Here is my rig: http://oi54.tinypic.com/1e29t0.jpg The top card jumps to 80C in a few minutes of gameplay. Any suggestions on how I could fix at home?
aesir05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aesir05
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

a couple of things come to mind

first try moving the second card into a lower pci-e slot if you have it that would give the top card more room to breath

second try removing the second card and then see if the problem persists.
if the top card exceeds temps even when its alone send it for rma as their is a problem

however if the top card works fine on its own and the bottom card works fine on its own as well, it could be that the bottom card heats up the top card

I dont have extensive experience in sli so that's all I can tell you atm

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
[QUOTE="XenoReseller"]Here is my rig: http://oi54.tinypic.com/1e29t0.jpg The top card jumps to 80C in a few minutes of gameplay. Any suggestions on how I could fix at home?

Can you add an intake fan on side panel?
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
i think your gpu temps rise as they are jam packed against each other.do you have an intake fan on the side panel??does it stay 80c or it keeps increasing? if it stays 80c it is fine. did you overclock those cards?
XenoReseller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XenoReseller
[QUOTE="masterdrat"][QUOTE="XenoReseller"]Here is my rig: http://oi54.tinypic.com/1e29t0.jpg The top card jumps to 80C in a few minutes of gameplay. Any suggestions on how I could fix at home?

Can you add an intake fan on side panel?

Yeah I can, in fact I'm going out to get a 70cfm 120mm fan...Also, slight overclock @ 900Mhz. I can't move it down because those are the only two x16/x8 slots in my system. :(
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Word of advice dont overclock and also some side intake fan/s might help, the GPU temperature is reallyy affected by ambient temps so if you have a hot climate then I would recommend cranking up the AC, two of those cards can handle anything on stock, and also ifit doesnt go over 90c I wouldnt worry. Make sure to use custom profile with afterburner.

inssane_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inssane_gamer
A techie advice is that graphic card temp underload can be as high as upto 120' c so no need to worry and frankly speaking side fans aren't that much of help anyway , but be very cautious in overclocking as a slight error can do as much as blow circuit out . Try riva tuner it is safe for overclocking
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

If you want the best graphic card cooling solution and you've got a few bucks I'd grab this.

Link

It's a monster at pulling hot air, it does an amazing job for my GTX 295. If you could move ur card down one slot you could get two.

If you did go with that you could also turn your powersupply the other way around that way the fan grabs some of the heat from the lower graphic card. Better to have hot air coming out rather than dust from the ground if you ask me. The front fan is also useless, I'd get a side fan blowing air out, I'd recommend the coolmaster sickleflow.