Graphic Card (I read the Sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

I tried to read the sticky, but couldn't really understand what it all meant. I am trying to build a PC to be able to play Battlefield 3 when it come out and also do some other media things. I don't need to play the game on super max settings, but I would like it to look good and play smooth. I am going to use an i7 processor, but I have no idea what graphic card to use. I don't want to spend 400 dollars and I just want it to be able to run this game well. Any ideas? I know there are plenty of graphic cards out there, but I am just lost in this sea of information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

dont get an i7. core i5 or phenom II x4 put the savings towards a better gpu. id recommend an hd 6850 or gtx 460 768mb. sounds like a plan to me DONT get over 6gb ram unless you have expendable moeny at the end of your build.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Tell us your budget so we can get a better idea of what you can get. As IonusX said, dont bother with an i7 for a budget build.
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LordsLoss

So just go with an i5 processor? If I do that, then I can more money on the graphic card. I have a set price, I am just trying to get my best bang for my buck. The GTX 480 looks good, but what is the next step up if I decide to go that route?

Budget is around 1300, maybe a little more. As long as Battlefield 3 looks good and I can watch my Blu-ray's in good quality I'm happy.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

So just go with an i5 processor? If I do that, then I can more money on the graphic card. I have a set price, I am just trying to get my best bang for my buck. The GTX 480 looks good, but what is the next step up if I decide to go that route?

Budget is around 1300, maybe a little more. As long as Battlefield 3 looks good and I can watch my Blu-ray's in good quality I'm happy.

LordsLoss

1300 for a whole ssytem assuming you already have a monitor to watch them on is pretty damn powerful

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordsLoss

Well, it's not my budget, it's a present and that was the set price they gave me. I already have the monitor. I just know the GTX 580 is powerful, but it was a little high with the i7. It might be fine with the i5 since the i5 is about 150 less. The GTX 560 also looks good. I guess I also need to know what processor specifically to get.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

just get an i5 2500k, a 6970 or a 570, if you really want phsyx get the 570, and 4-8 gigs of ram, I could most likely make that build around 1k, so 300 saved.

edit: just made a cart on newegg with a 570, 2500k, 8 gigs ram, and windows 7 for 1010$ after shipping. you could drop down to a 6950 and 4gigs ram and save a good amount.

Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

just get an i5 2500k, a 6970 or a 570, if you really want phsyx get the 570, and 4-8 gigs of ram, I could most likely make that build around 1k, so 300 saved.

M4Ntan
This, also add in a better cpu cooler so you can get full usage out of that 2500k. the Hyper 212+ is what I use and does not cost much. Other posters will have more experience on what some of the more expensive coolers are and how much they will change the overclock.
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordsLoss

GTX 570 and the i5 2500k look good to me. I'm looking on nvida site right now and I'm comparing the 480 to the 570 and it looks like the 570 has a higher "relative graphics performance" and the 480 has a higher "standard memory config". Does this make a difference? Thanks. Sorry to be a pain.

Edit: I'll be doing a lot of multitasking for video editing and all the software becomes a pain so I'll just go with 8 gigs of ram to make sure it runs everything fine.

Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

GTX 570 and the i5 2500k look good to me. I'm looking on nvida site right now and I'm comparing the 480 to the 570 and it looks like the 570 has a higher "relative graphics performance" and the 480 has a higher "standard memory config". Does this make a difference? Thanks. Sorry to be a pain.

LordsLoss
The 480 has more memory, but that really would never come into play unless you are splitting to multiple monitors for one game at huge resolutions. The 570 will still get you more power for gaming.
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

He said he will be doing some media things - depending what he's doing he might like the I7, so don't automatically say I5 because he stated this isn't just for gaming

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 M4Ntan

LordsLoss

I wouldnt get the 480 based on all the negative things people say about it, including being power hungry and extremly hot, and the 570 is better at dx11 like tessalation.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LordsLoss

He said he will be doing some media things - depending what he's doing he might like the I7, so don't automatically say I5 because he stated this isn't just for gaming

whitey_rolls
Yea, I do a lot of video editing for games and also PVR. I help a few friends on their channels and make their videos, plus I edit hours upon hours of video on my PVR to put them on DVD's to save them.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Get an i7 over the i5 then if you like doing that stuff to, the extra features will come in handy for you and speed up your times when editing and creating video.
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts
Look for the i7 2600K once you are set on your rig. Regarding the GPU I would definetly go for the 570 GTX over the 480 GTX. How much are you looking to spend on the motherboard? Are you planning on going SLI later on?
LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LordsLoss
I don't know what SLI means, and yes I will upgrade later on with my own money, it's just right now I'm going to take what I can get for the present, then build on top of that later.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I don't know what SLI means, and yes I will upgrade later on with my own money, it's just right now I'm going to take what I can get for the present, then build on top of that later. LordsLoss
SLI is when you run two nvidia cards together for higher performance. Crossfire is the ATI equivalent. And the builds suggested will last you a long time. You won't need to upgrade for a good few years.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordsLoss

Sounds good. Thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be back later with other questions.

Edit: Also, people on this forum are way more helpful than the other boards. I guess there is less fighting :P

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 M4Ntan

Sounds good. Thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be back later with other questions.

Edit: Also, people on this forum are way more helpful than the other boards. I guess there is less fighting :P

LordsLoss

This thread is easy to start a war, just mention phenom.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="LordsLoss"]

M4Ntan

Yeah, but thats just Gambler and some other Intel fanboys :P
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts

LOL

[QUOTE="M4Ntan"]

[QUOTE="LordsLoss"]

Iantheone

Yeah, but thats just Gambler and some other Intel fanboys :P

LOL .

Gotta love AMD and their low prices, but looks like TC will have all 8 threads if the i7 2600K working :P