Gothic 3 - $5.99 at Target

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Kind of a weird story...I was pretty board with the current games out atm, so I was looking for a new game on gamespot.  I decided to re-read the review for Gothic 3 and check out the forums to see if the bugs have been fixed.  Well after reading, it seemed like not much was fixed, and the community is still polarized about the game.  So I just said screw it and forgot about it and decided to go to Target with the wifey (not always fun :P ).  I checked out the bargain bin, and wouldn't you know it, Gothic 3 on sale for $5.99.  I said **** it, for that price who cares if it sucks.

Anyways, got home, installed it, patched it up, and started my adventure.  I have to say so far it has really surprised me.  It really puts Oblivion to shame in the RPG department.  I like the character interaction, and how it feels you have more freedom.  Also, Oblivion's AI *may* be more advanced, and Gothic's scripted...but honestly...who cares?  The world feels way more alive, with its citizen's busy doing things you expect them to do.  Woodcutters chopping wood, blacksmith busy at the anvil, ect.  The amount of skills, spells, and different types of items is vast, with a lot less useless junk you get in Oblivion.  I like the inventory screen, notes, map, and skill screens alot better too.  Inventory managements works very well. 

So far I haven't run into any bugs, but the game definitely feels shaky.  Lots of little pauses and stuttering, and a few graphical glitches as well.

My one big complain is the combat.  What the **** were they thinking?  It's borderline awful.  It's very clunky and subject to lots of grief.  Also, the "ugh ugh ugh" sounds that characters make is so repetitive and annoying.  Normally I play melee characters...but for this game I think I will go archer.

Anyways, all in all I give the game thumbs up.  It's got some glaring flaws, but the depth and detail of the game makes up for its deficiencies.  If any of you who haven't played it yet see it in the bargain bin, I would definitely check it out.

Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
If they completely replaced the combat system and if they would make it so you cant end half of the quests in the game 1/4 of the way through the game it would be decent.
xsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xsa
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

Either way it's a step in the right direction for the Gothic franchise, I bought the collectors edition of it the day it came out, and I don't regret it at all. Some replayability value and if you can be patient and try to progress through the story while doing side-quests, you'll get a lot more from it.

The combat does indeed leave some, if not much, to be desired but overall it works decently.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
I did the same thing dnuggs, I was at Best Buy with the wifey though, which I have to drag her there by her hair since it's not a clothing store, all the while she's calling me a flippin "nerd" for buying games that I like, while it's perfectly alright when she plays UNO for 10 hours on the 360, but anyway, I picked it up for 20 bucks a few weeks ago, and I still think it's a deal at that price. 5.99 is an outright steal though, nice find. I just started playing it last week, and I agree, I like the world much better than Oblivion's, it just feels more authentic. The combat is lousy for the most part, but I've had no problem overlooking that due to the environment and storyline.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I did the same thing dnuggs, I was at Best Buy with the wifey though, which I have to drag her there by her hair since it's not a clothing store, all the while she's calling me a flippin "nerd" for buying games that I like, while it's perfectly alright when she plays UNO for 10 hours on the 360, but anyway, I picked it up for 20 bucks a few weeks ago, and I still think it's a deal at that price. 5.99 is an outright steal though, nice find. I just started playing it last week, and I agree, I like the world much better than Oblivion's, it just feels more authentic. The combat is lousy for the most part, but I've had no problem overlooking that due to the environment and storyline.
mismajor99

lol

I get the "nerd" jabs from the wifey as well.  But then again, I rag on her for watching show like "The Bachelor" and "American Idol".  I always say though, "hey...I could be into going out drinking at the bar instead!  Which would you prefer?". 

I agree, the world is very vibrant.  I always thought Oblivion did an awful job in this department.  Every town was filled with what felt like blank faced place holders, with absolutely nothing interesting to say. 

And agree on the combat as well...it a shame though...even if it was morrowind **** combat (which was not fantastic either), it would a huge improvement.  Maybe next go around for PB though :)

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
sweet ill pick it up tomorrow
assmonkey333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 assmonkey333
Member since 2003 • 163 Posts

Wow I guess I'm lucky. My wife was looking at the games with me in Best Buy. In fact she picked Gothic 3 out. That's our favorite store. We each have our own computers right beside each other. All we do all day is sit at our comps playing games.

......I love my life.....

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#8 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Well that sux.. I bought the damn game at full price.. :(  I also posted a review for the game a while back.

I think its an excellent game.. didn't even patch the game.. just played it twice through w/o patches. Ah well... guess I should have waited for the price to drop.. oh wellz.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Wow I guess I'm lucky. My wife was looking at the games with me in Best Buy. In fact she picked Gothic 3 out. That's our favorite store. We each have our own computers right beside each other. All we do all day is sit at our comps playing games.

assmonkey333

*jealous* :D 

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

Fortunately for me my girlfriend doesn't watch crappy tv shows (american idol :P ), she just likes to watch cooking and archeology/history shows. But she still calls me a nerd when i tell her that i'm sieging jerusalem and the mongols are invading (M2TW) or when i gain a level in an RPG. I protest such a mischaracterization of myself, i'm a geek, NOT a nerd, thank you very much.

As for the game, I've only played gothic 2 + expansion and i must say that it was a fabulous game, assuming you survive the first two hours of getting killed in combat by rats. Haven't tried gothic 3 yet.

TryDaBeardON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 TryDaBeardON
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
Tech troubles aside, the main factor for me in deciding not to buy gothic was the devs' decision to go with T rating. I just felt it's a bit of a sell out. That's like Fallout coming out rated T almost.
Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Arcadius
Member since 2002 • 959 Posts

Well that sux.. I bought the damn game at full price.. :(  I also posted a review for the game a while back.

I think its an excellent game.. didn't even patch the game.. just played it twice through w/o patches. Ah well... guess I should have waited for the price to drop.. oh wellz.

Alkpaz

yeah, and I remember your review made me buy the game, though I passed through hell trying to run it, but once I kept going it was great. Heck even playing the game for exploration is rewarding since it sports a great landsacpe!

zer0sil3nce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zer0sil3nce
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts
sorry i had to register for this, but i searched the target site and it said gothic 3 is 29.99, so does that mean its like a store only thing? which means it wouldnt show on the internet?
Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Arcadius
Member since 2002 • 959 Posts
[QUOTE="assmonkey333"]

Wow I guess I'm lucky. My wife was looking at the games with me in Best Buy. In fact she picked Gothic 3 out. That's our favorite store. We each have our own computers right beside each other. All we do all day is sit at our comps playing games.

wis3boi

*jealous* :D 

Double jealous, though the wife and I go to Best Buy and she also picks games for me, and we have our comps lined togheter as well, she doesn't play them with me :(

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

sorry i had to register for this, but i searched the target site and it said gothic 3 is 29.99, so does that mean its like a store only thing? which means it wouldnt show on the internet?zer0sil3nce

Most likely. My Target never has any bargain bin sales and I always check when a someone announces they found a game for dirt cheap at target. 

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 arangadillo
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
this is gonna sound pretty gay but that was a heart warming post. haha. I will definaly check out Gothic three when i get a chance.
arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arangadillo
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
definitely
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

The game is brilliant. The Gothic series has always appealed to me. Even with its flaws, the more mature experience makes up for them. Though I think G2 is the better game, Gothic 3 is still a must-play in my mind for any rpg lover.

And honestly, I didnt run into many bugs at all with G3.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I'm gonna check Target tomorrow.  I liked the 2nd one a lot so I'll give this one a try.  If it isn't 5.99 I'm going to come back here and cry like a little school child and make you feel bad.
niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts

If you like it you should try neverwinter nights(both 1 & 2)(Most perfromance issues in 2 have been fixed through patches).

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I went to Target and it was 30 bucks! I told you I would come back and cry like a little school kid and so here I am. Whaaaaaa.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

If you like it you should try neverwinter nights(both 1 & 2)(Most perfromance issues in 2 have been fixed through patches).

niko44

I love my Neverwinter!! As long as 2 is patched, it's a great game. 

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
[QUOTE="niko44"]

mismajor99

I love my Neverwinter!! As long as 2 is patched, it's a great game.

I would love it too. My computer doesn't though :( 

Rayze78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Rayze78
Member since 2004 • 456 Posts
I've been debating over getting Gothic 3 or not since it has so many mixed reviews. But if I can get it cheap (especially 5.99) i will try it for sure. My g/f isnt much of a gamer. But I am slowly getting her into gaming thanks to my Wii...wait, that didnt come out right.
1337_ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 1337_ownage
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts

[QUOTE="zer0sil3nce"]sorry i had to register for this, but i searched the target site and it said gothic 3 is 29.99, so does that mean its like a store only thing? which means it wouldnt show on the internet?bigmit37

Most likely. My Target never has any bargain bin sales and I always check when a someone announces they found a game for dirt cheap at target.

are you sure, there a place called clearance and has new stuff all the time, i found warcraft for 10 bucks