Good time for a new computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts

I've been planning to get a new rig for a while now (building it myself) and have the parts setup; now I'm just milking what's left of my current computer. I've realized it's got a bit more like in it than I originally predicted. So, I think I can hold off for a few more months at most.

So, the big question is.. Is it a good time to buy a computer? Like buying a house or a condo, it's not always the prime time to do so, especially in FL (high interest rates, home owners tax, etc.) and the same can go for computers, but on a little bit of a different level (i.e. newer hardware being released soon). I'm thinking that because Vista was JUST released and DirectX10 is just becoming available and only available on the 8800, perhaps it'll be good to wait a little bit longer (even though the computer market is frequently changing).

Please tell me what you think. I know I can get a computer anytime, but input and personal opinions could help me in deciding. Thanks in advance.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
Depends on your budget - if you can afford quad-core and an 8800GTX right now, you won't regret the decision (unless you're an ATI fan, then you might want to wait a month). I recall your budget easily covering that, so I'd say you're good to buy now without feeling bad.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
Yeah if money is no problem, just get some good stuff now. If you want to save a bit, next month will see entry level DX10 cards in the 8600 and 8300 series from Nvidia, then April has Core 2 Duo price cuts. R600 may also suite you better if you have money, its going to be quite a bit more powerful than the 8800GTX. So since all that is a month or so off I'd probably stick it out till then if your current pc is still decent. Seriously though waiting any longer for something than a month or two never works cause you'll always hear something better is coming out another month down the road from that, so you'll just keep postponing till no end.
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 KSlater85
Member since 2003 • 19738 Posts
I'd personally say wait... Because vista is junk right now... and the 8600's are coming out soon for a more affordable DX 10 experience (whatever that means). But I think wait... one month only... Unless you can afford an 8800 GTS in which case now is just as good as later... Though Vista needs a lot of help...
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZBoater
Member since 2003 • 1855 Posts
Timing PC purchases is something more of a budget constraint. Sure, there is always "something" right around the corner, and you didn't want to buy a Pentium 3 when the Pentium 4s where about to come out... but you can almost never go wrong buying top of the line stuff.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts
I'm doing the same as you. To save a few bucks that I don't have I'm buying the stuff that has a stable price now...case, ps, floppy, hard drive. The mobo, vid card and PCU , I'll buy last, hoping for a better price and more stable bios etc, in a month or 2
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 KSlater85
Member since 2003 • 19738 Posts
Timing PC purchases is something more of a budget constraint. Sure, there is always "something" right around the corner, and you didn't want to buy a Pentium 3 when the Pentium 4s where about to come out... but you can almost never go wrong buying top of the line stuff.ZBoater
Excep that it costs a fortune.. Oh and there is no good OS for using DX 10 right now... Well either that or the drivers are no good.. Either way Vista needs help. But then you could just go XP.
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZBoater
Member since 2003 • 1855 Posts
Excep that it costs a fortune.. Oh and there is no good OS for using DX 10 right now... Well either that or the drivers are no good.. Either way Vista needs help. But then you could just go XP.KSlater85
Don't forget the 8800 series of cards are the fastest cards out there for DX9 as well as being compatible with DX10. That si why I say its more of a budget constraint. If you can't spend $300 on a video card, then it really doesn't matter - get the fastest one you CAN afford, or wait until you can afford more.
masters89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 masters89
Member since 2004 • 1930 Posts
Depends on your budget - if you can afford quad-core and an 8800GTX right now, you won't regret the decision (unless you're an ATI fan, then you might want to wait a month). I recall your budget easily covering that, so I'd say you're good to buy now without feeling bad.RayvinAzn
exacly, BTW i'm an ATi fan .
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
I would hold off a bit longer. No games take advantage of DX10 and Vista needs a service pack very badly. Plus, faster DX10 cards are right around the corner. I know that there is always something better coming out soon, but if your rig is good enough for now, then hold off atleast a month. I probably won't upgrade until AMD/ATI have their new products out. I'm guessing that I'll end up with a K8L and an 8900gtx when I build my next computer.