Callo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Callo
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I've been searching for days, weeks, months, years to find those good invidual games we had back in the day quite many i could spend 2 summers easily.

There are some potential ones like witcher 3 and gta v etc but they all seem to lack on something i've enjoyed in-games in the past, we have better graphics than everbefore and nice long cutscenes and great animations and all but it isn't giving any satisfactory, well most of the time.

Everything seems quite hollow in a sense, there is really not much weight in quality on most games. I'd wish to find more games that are continuation of "old" being more frequent in the game market, anyone that would like to see bof 3, ff7, dark chronicle type games that can hook anyone on the steam librarys?

I would love to see a mix of those 3 games combined with slightly more modern graphical update and overhaul but maintaining old type of vibe with minigames, alot of sidestory mission, interactive and living breathing world.

Where is that all gone now, does anyone know 2010+ era role game that fills those criterias? Sorry for the bad englisH

Buxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Buxo
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

Man..I think we are just getting old :D I also have this feeling that there isn't a good game anymore :D

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@callo: You can buy Final Fantasy 5-9 and 13 on Steam if you wish to.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

@buxo said:

Man..I think we are just getting old :D I also have this feeling that there isn't a good game anymore :D

I think there are too many good games, and I have too much disposable income. I get bogged down in amazing games and frankly I don't finish most of them these days :(

But mostly it's getting old :D

Hyperanium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hyperanium
Member since 2018 • 16 Posts

I think the gaming industry is taking a change of pace on how they design their games.

This year I think we'll be seeing lots of games which will be either indie, multiplayer, sandbox or open-world. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing since I actually enjoy a lot of the games which are produced nowadays, sure it might not have the same charm as the old games such as the ones you've said, but they are good nonetheless. (Maybe it's just the nostalgia clogging up my mind)

Although I miss the feeling of playing games such as GTA: San Andreas, The Warriors, and even Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

I feel as if it's not all so bad, I enjoy running through the fields and making friends in Stardew Valley, slaying boss after boss and breaking my keyboard while doing so in Cuphead or just plain getting my shit scared when I played Doki Doki Literature Club! for the very first time.

I don't have any suggestions for good games that fill your criteria, but I tried Psychonauts these past few days and it's brilliant. Really brings back the feeling of playing with my PS2 on a Saturday night. Oh, and if you're interested, Humble Bundle is currently doing a bundle on major Rockstar titles such as L.A. Noire, Max Payne and the full Grand Theft Auto series for $15.

Cheers.

Space_Cadets1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Space_Cadets1

Games definitely changed, people stopped innovating and started copying each other plain and simple. The majority of games are an imitation of an imitation. It all started to change somewhere around 2005. Right around Battlefield 2/Bad Company 2, everything started turning bland and superficial. Dragon Age Origins vs. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good case in point.

Origins had innovative mechanics and allowed for rather satisfying party builds where you could micro manage behavior and strategy that resulted in a decent skill cap. This allowed for a variety of builds and play techniques that made it satisfying to defeat areas. Interactions and events were meaningful and often required careful forethought. The areas you explore had relatively little to find and collect in comparison to Inquisition; a game that had thousands of meaningless things to find with very little skill cap.

All of the strategy and party building that made the original fun was gone, gone was the innovation and complex RPG mechanics. It was boiled down to an imitation of a fetchquest mmo to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. This kind of trend has happened everywhere in the industry. NHL used to have customizable players and fun online team play, now the players are put into 5 categories with zero customization available. It's even happening in Mario Games, Mario Galaxy was amazingly innovative and fun, the new games are all gimmicks and reiterations of past themes.

Toastier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toastier
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

I need GTA V. If anyone wants to hook me up ;)

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@toastier said:

I need GTA V. If anyone wants to hook me up ;)

go buy it. It is fairly cheap.

Toastier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Toastier

@Diddies: I might buy it, but I don't know if my PC can run it well.

Avatar image for franciscusfirst
franciscusfirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 franciscusfirst
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

You should try out Kingdom come deliverance! This should maybe be to your liking as the story is great and it has an authentic rpg feel.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

here is my list of 'good gaming examples' its not a fine tuned list but its pretty comprehensive and are games just in the past 3 years

Just games i have played that I like

Space Engineers

Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

Directorscar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Directorscar
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I'm finding indie games are turning out better than triple a games these days, unless your a big Nintendo franchise

okeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 okeee

agreed... too much console

Blujay777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blujay777
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I wish that, for some of the older games that were super successful, they'd remake them with better graphics to be able to be played on computers. Games like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empires: Star Wars Version) that I used to play all the time would be HUGE today if it was remastered, and even renovated with new factions it would be REALLY cool (like the Resistance and the First Order, for instance) that would make it that much cooler. I feel like a lot of the new games nowadays are not nearly as fun ("a lot": there are quite a few that are pretty awesome still) that the old games still are able to bring to the table, but have been left in the dust because they were "old".

Idk... I don't think PC/Mac/Linux games should be dead yet.

Those are my thoughts.

-Blujay

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Not lost. Its either your getting older or games are changing. I admit that i dont play games as much as i use to and that's abit of both games are changing and I'm getting older. I am getting back into games though and just bought Oculus rift and this changes everything. I spend most time on that now even though i only use it 2 hour a day and not every day it a lot better then normal monitor as it is change. Ok resolution not as good but the immersion is awesome. My brother mate came round thinking it was going to be crap and when he put it on he was like WOW and that was just home screen :D. I said this hour is free next time its 50 quid. :P. He didn't think an hour was going to be long enough until i said for first use it is until you get use to it as you might get dizzy later like i did. It took me about 2 weeks on and off be for i felt normal after and now I'm ok using it.

nathanh0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nathanh0
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

@callo Try Meridian 59 (meridian59.net) - It's free, it's in Ogre3D and it's probably the most old school game you'll find that's be revamped into 3D. :)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@tryit: Boom! That's a good list

I might add Factorio

Also CrossCode for a good action RPG

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TryIt

@pyro1245 said:

@tryit: Boom! That's a good list

I might add Factorio

Also CrossCode for a good action RPG

maybe there is a way to do a download to text my game list and my wishlist from steam, then I can just use that for anytime someone complains about the state of gaming.

and yeah I would add Factorio even though I havent played it I have watched.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mrbojangles25: you have too much disposable income ?

Your welcome to buy me final fantasy XV on Steam :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@mrbojangles25: you have too much disposable income ?

Your welcome to buy me final fantasy XV on Steam :)

I have too much disposable income for me. Sorry dude :D

And I already regret buying that game for myself, not going to burden some other soul with it haha

Callo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Callo

@tryit Thanks for the list, there are few games that has my interest

@space_cadets1 said:

Games definitely changed, people stopped innovating and started copying each other plain and simple. The majority of games are an imitation of an imitation. It all started to change somewhere around 2005. Right around Battlefield 2/Bad Company 2, everything started turning bland and superficial. Dragon Age Origins vs. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good case in point.

Origins had innovative mechanics and allowed for rather satisfying party builds where you could micro manage behavior and strategy that resulted in a decent skill cap. This allowed for a variety of builds and play techniques that made it satisfying to defeat areas. Interactions and events were meaningful and often required careful forethought. The areas you explore had relatively little to find and collect in comparison to Inquisition; a game that had thousands of meaningless things to find with very little skill cap.

All of the strategy and party building that made the original fun was gone, gone was the innovation and complex RPG mechanics. It was boiled down to an imitation of a fetchquest mmo to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. This kind of trend has happened everywhere in the industry. NHL used to have customizable players and fun online team play, now the players are put into 5 categories with zero customization available. It's even happening in Mario Games, Mario Galaxy was amazingly innovative and fun, the new games are all gimmicks and reiterations of past themes.

When i look at Steam shop for new games i can pretty much find 2 pages of games that are almost the same game with little to no difference, there are some good indie games but most are just gimmick of something else (Prison Architect) is great example, it was something fresh type of game when it came out, but it ever since there has been many games similiar to that game that has come out by indie developers.

This happens with triple-a titles aswell, maybe im getting old but i'm frustrated that this is happening, do any game industry ever create their own engine and not copy assets from other companies?

Anyway i think this enough rambling, thanks all for sharing games with me.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TryIt

@callo said:

@tryit Thanks for the list, there are few games that has my interest

@space_cadets1 said:

When i look at Steam shop for new games i can pretty much find 2 pages of games that are almost the same game with little to no difference, there are some good indie games but most are just gimmick of something else (Prison Architect) is great example, it was something fresh type of game when it came out, but it ever since there has been many games similiar to that game that has come out by indie developers.

This happens with triple-a titles aswell, maybe im getting old but i'm frustrated that this is happening, do any game industry ever create their own engine and not copy assets from other companies?

Anyway i think this enough rambling, thanks all for sharing games with me.

if you are saying you see a game like factorio, Emperium Galactic survial, Transport Fever, Subnautica

and feel that indie games are 'mostly the same'. then I think you are lying.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt

@BenjaminBanklin

I will simplify it for you.

if your character ever takes more than 2 steps in the game that isnt a direct result of you guiding the character in those two steps then the game is a trailer game

you KNOW what I am talking about.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

@tryit said:

@BenjaminBanklin

if your character ever takes more than 2 steps in the game that isnt a direct result of you guiding the character in those two steps then the game is a trailer game

No, I don't know what you're talking about. You don't know what you're talking about. You got cornered and now you're in troll mode. Enough, already!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TryIt

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tryit said:

@BenjaminBanklin

No, I don't know what you're talking about. You don't know what you're talking about. You got cornered and now you're in troll mode. Enough, already!

nope it appears I got you cornered. the exciting game play that they are showing is actually a mini-cinematic.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

@tryit said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tryit said:

@BenjaminBanklin

nope it appears I got you cornered.

You brought this topic to the wrong thread, so it's safe to say you're losing IQ points as well. Please stop infecting others.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TryIt

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tryit said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tryit said:

@BenjaminBanklin

nope it appears I got you cornered.

You brought this topic to the wrong thread, so it's safe to say you're losing IQ points as well. Please stop infecting others.

ok

Avatar image for misterdeathborn
misterdeathborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 misterdeathborn
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

I think it's because games were less common with less demand back then. Now as both have risen, and with so many games out there to explore, you can be overwhelmed. Though, it's true; I'm enjoying games less and less... unfortunately.

renzhen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 renzhen

i think so