Gone Home is quite bad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

it's only 2 hours long, no replay value.  what if they made the house like horror or something, added monsters in the hallways and give your characters like an axe or a pistol or something.  like 8 hours of combat, a few hours of cutscenes, and like an hour or two of reading notes and stuff like that.  make like 12 hours instead of 2, you know.  also, an online multiplayer portion would be awesome.  think like luigi's mansion 2, exploring the haunted house with 3 other players.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

it's only 2 hours long, no replay value.  what if they made the house like horror or something, added monsters in the hallways and give your characters like an axe or a pistol or something.  like 8 hours of combat, a few hours of cutscenes, and like an hour or two of reading notes and stuff like that.  make like 12 hours instead of 2, you know.  also, an online multiplayer portion would be awesome.  think like luigi's mansion 2, exploring the haunted house with 3 other players.

drekula2

There are plenty of fantastic games that don't have combat and aren't violent action games.

This isn't one of them.

This is hardly a game.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

drekula2
Assuming this is sarcasm, lol, good one man.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17934 Posts

Most reviews seem to point out quite clearly what the experience is like. For anyone who even bothered to read the text--and not the score--in the review, you should have been able to tell whether Gone Home is a game for you or not and gain some consumer empowerment to judge if the content was worth its pricetag.

As for me? I am staying the hell away from it, at least, for now.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Would buy if it wasnt so expensive for only 2 hours with no replay. Looks interesting.
Ser_Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Ser_Charles
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts
Although I only hear something about Gone Home and I have not played it, I think if factors which you proposing are added to this game, then it is not gone home.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Then play something else... Gone Home is Gone Home.. not another game where you want it to be something else. 1625v1j.jpg

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6338 Posts
Haha, TC's funny, but I bet a whole bunch of people are going to think he's being serious.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

im just saying.   like bioshock infinite is 10 hours: 7 hours of combat, 3 hours of cutscene.  last of us is like 10 hour of combat, 4 hour of cutscene.

what if they just removed the combat entirely and just let you walk around and shit 

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

im just saying.   like bioshock infinite is 10 hours: 7 hours of combat, 3 hours of cutscene.  last of us is like 10 hour of combat, 4 hour of cutscene.

what if they just removed the combat entirely and just let you walk around and shit 

drekula2

Gone Home is an indie game. The budget, development time and number of people that worked on BioShock Infinite and Last of Us is a thousand times higher than Gone Home's.

They are also very different types of games. There's adventure games, there's FPSs, there's RPGs, there's strategy games, there's racing games. It's called GENRE. Gone Home is an adventure game similar to Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, The Walking Dead, Amnesia etc. while BioShock is a FPS with RPG elements.

Not all games are KILL! KILL! KILL! BOOM! DIE! and adventure games clearly aren't for you

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

This piece of crap is possibly the worst "game" I have ever played in my life.

9.5 pahahaha

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Somepeoplemaydisagreewithyou

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#13 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I think the game looks interesting.  Unfortunately I think it's far too expensive for what it is.  $10 at regular price would have been fairer.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

I will get it for cheap in the Steam Indie Spring Sale.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elann2008

Schreek
Spring? Summer is over. You're looking at either a Thanksgiving/Fall mini sale or Winter Sale!
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#16 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

Elann2008

Spring? Summer is over. You're looking at either a Thanksgiving/Fall mini sale or Winter Sale!

There's a better chance of it being even cheaper next year though. :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Schreek"]

NeonNinja

There's a better chance of it being even cheaper next year though. :P

True!
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11413 Posts

Gone Home is an indie game. The budget, development time and number of people that worked on BioShock Infinite and Last of Us is a thousand times higher than Gone Home's.

They are also very different types of games. There's adventure games, there's FPSs, there's RPGs, there's strategy games, there's racing games. It's called GENRE. Gone Home is an adventure game similar to Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, The Walking Dead, Amnesia etc. while BioShock is a FPS with RPG elements.

Not all games are KILL! KILL! KILL! BOOM! DIE! and adventure games clearly aren't for you

Darth_Kane

Nailed it. 

Also.

Some people may disagree with you

GeneralMufinMan

Nice. 

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Big_Red_Button

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Darth_Kane

Well, adventure games tend to have gameplay.

Interacting with characters, solving puzzles, all sorts of things.

Typically, in video games, you do things. It's an interactive medium; the medium is defined by titles where player agency and interactivity are emphasized and required.

In Gone Home you don't do things. You wander around an empty house and look at pieces of paper. No puzzles, nothing to figure out, no resource management, nothing that resembles a game.

BUT HEY, WHO CARES ABOUT GAMEPLAY IN GAMES?

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
Downloading now, seems......interesting teh power!
Ser_Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Ser_Charles
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

drekula2
The game system might have to be enhanced, and the life of it might have to be prolonged, but... but combat is definitely not a good idea when taking the type of gone home into consideration. Some puzzels akin to Machinarium is much better.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
You're wanting something it isn't. The only bad thing here is your opinion.
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Big_Red_Button

You're wanting something it isn't. The only bad thing here is your opinion.skrat_01

And the "game", don't forget the bad "game" that we're talking about.

The only bad things here are his opinion and Gone Home.

It is crucial that we don't forget how bad the "game" is.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

From what I have read, Gone Home is more like an interactive book more than anything else. 

I will say that I'm only going to buy this if it's $5 or less though. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20282 Posts

drekula2
Gone Home is like a demoreel of a what a possible game could be like. But your absolutly right, the "game" takes about 1min to complete and has no replay value or anything worth mentioning. So 20$ is a insane ripoff and steam should be ashamed that they allowed another scam like Dear Esther to fill the "steam shelf"..
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Jacanuk

Gone Home is like a demoreel of a what a possible game could be like. But your absolutly right, the "game" takes about 1min to complete and has no replay value or anything worth mentioning. So 20$ is a insane ripoff and steam should be ashamed that they allowed another scam like Dear Esther to fill the "steam shelf"..

I think that that's an unfair categorization to declare a game a "scam" just because it doesn't fit within the normal bounds of categorization for games. Furthermore, "Gone Home", in my opinion, is just an adventure game without the puzzles, so it does fit within a traditional genre.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

is it an indie game? maybe if it sells well they will make a longer one next time.

nice to see something new though.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]You're wanting something it isn't. The only bad thing here is your opinion.Big_Red_Button

And the "game", don't forget the bad "game" that we're talking about.

The only bad things here are his opinion and Gone Home.

It is crucial that we don't forget how bad the "game" is.

Eh? Gone Home isn't bad, for what it is. It's an unconventional game, not hard to wrap your mind round now.