Going from GTX 1080 SLI to RTX 2080 Super?

#1 Posted by RaZoR500 (354 posts) -

Hi All

I need some advice on this matter

Currently I have 2 GTX 1080's in SLI in my current setup

Performance is great I can even enjoy some games in 4K/60 which is great and anything at 1080p is a non issue (4K usually when I play on the TV, 1080p when I simply game on my monitor)

Here is the issue where all of this started. Less and less games are supporting SLI. Trying to get SLI to work on some titles is doable and sometimes works well but in my experience most titles usually end up with flickering or no performance benefits what so ever

Has anyone went from 2 GTX 1080's to a single RTX 2080 Super or does anyone recommend I do so and ditch SLI?

Not worried about the games I play on the 1080p monitor but the ones I play in 4K

Any advice and personal opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (23243 posts) -

I wouldnt waste your money on any of the RTX cards they're overpriced for what you get IMO. Because next year Nvidia will be coming out with Ampere 7nm and AMD with 2nd gen Navi. And those should be a worthy upgrade.

The games that do support SLI decently those 1080's perform better than RTX 2080ti when their 8gb buffer isnt saturated. Problem is that SLI support is totally dependent on API, developers and engine. I understand the dilemma....

Unless you can sell those 1080's and get like 2/3's the cost back for a RTX 2080 super would be the only way I would get a RTX 2080 super. Even then the 2080 super isnt a full fledged 4k 60 fps card with every game.

#3 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

I wouldnt waste your money on any of the RTX cards they're overpriced for what you get IMO. Because next year Nvidia will be coming out with Ampere 7nm and AMD with 2nd gen Navi. And those should be a worthy upgrade.

The games that do support SLI decently those 1080's perform better than RTX 2080ti when their 8gb buffer isnt saturated. Problem is that SLI support is totally dependent on API, developers and engine. I understand the dilemma....

Unless you can sell those 1080's and get like 2/3's the cost back for a RTX 2080 super would be the only way I would get a RTX 2080 super. Even then the 2080 super isnt a full fledged 4k 60 fps card with every game.

Agreed. I've only a 1060 6gb and besides upgrading my CPU, I don't think I'll be upgrading my GPU anytime soon, while ray tracing is interesting I don't think it;s worth upgrading for.

#4 Posted by Horgen (121118 posts) -

Since you have SLI there isn't really any upgrades for you. While both RTX 2080, Super, and Ti will give better performance in games not supporting SLI, I think you need 2080Ti for an upgrade where SLI is supported, or more like a side grade I guess.

#5 Posted by BassMan (10648 posts) -

Best to avoid SLI altogether. It is shit these days. Nothing but problems. I would definitely take a 2080 Super any day over 1080 SLI. 2080 Ti is the way to go if you don't mind spending the money. It is a rip off, but there is no other single card in that performance tier.

#6 Posted by osan0 (15456 posts) -

I would hold off until next year if you can. even one 1080 today is still a great card to have and, when working, the 2 in SLI i think will beat a 2080TI or a least give it a run for its money (and certainly beat a 2080 or 2080 super).

so you could be spending big money and getting a downgrade in performance in some games. other games will get an upgrade but not a massive one.

next year nvidia should have their 7nm GPUs ready to go, intel are entering the market (could cause the right kind of chaos) and AMD should have an upgraded RDNA GPU (could surprise too..rdna v1 has been a good step in the right direction for AMD). the GPU options should be a lot better.

if i was in your situation i would wait, save and maybe splash out on the best GPU available around this time next year (treat your self :) ). But priortise getting the strongest single GPU you can. SLI and crossfire are basically completely useless now. 1 stronger GPU will offer more consistent perfromance accross games compared to 2 weaker ones in a multi GPu setup.

if you are really keen to upgrade now i wouldn't be looking at anything less than a 2080TI and even then itll be a mixture of an upgrade and a sidegrade (for the games that scale well with SLI). not a great option imho.

#7 Posted by firedrakes (1983 posts) -

@osan0:

intel tring to enter the market again with a gpu. corrected that for you

#8 Edited by WESTBLADE (539 posts) -

@BassMan said:

Best to avoid SLI altogether. It is shit these days. Nothing but problems. I would definitely take a 2080 Super any day over 1080 SLI. 2080 Ti is the way to go if you don't mind spending the money. It is a rip off, but there is no other single card in that performance tier.

Well, that RTX 2080 Ti is not such a rip-off (in terms of NVIDIA pricing) since it cost twice the RTX 2070 while having twice the power and more VRAM to back it up. Really depends the way you look at it.

To OP: Wait till 2020 when these 7nm cards are being released + Intel is entering the GPU market as well, so the pricing of the new GPU's might be interesting -> for the better, i hope..XD

#9 Edited by 04dcarraher (23243 posts) -

@WESTBLADE said:

Well, that RTX 2080 Ti is not such a rip-off (in terms of NVIDIA pricing) since it cost twice the RTX 2070 while having twice the power and more VRAM to back it up. Really depends the way you look at it.

RTX 2080ti does not have 2x the performance of a 2070 its between 30-40% at 4k..... And that extra 3 gb of ram. IMO it is a rip off at the prices its at.

#10 Edited by WESTBLADE (539 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:
@WESTBLADE said:

RTX 2080ti does not have 2x the performance of a 2070 its between 30-40% at 4k..... And that extra 3 gb of ram. IMO it is a rip off at the prices its at.

Well, in raw power it is (tflops). TBF, if you want to go full 4K, your only option is 2080 Ti, except...RTX Titan (the real top-end gaming GPU currently available on the market, for those who aren't aware of its existance...). Now that's a definition of rip-off. The GDDR6 must be pretty damn expensive, because otherwise i can't explain the low performance->high price boost vs. 2080 Ti...XD

#11 Posted by xantufrog (11690 posts) -

I agree with everyone else - I'd wait for the next generation of GPUs. You're talking the big bucks with your class of cards, so I'd only go in for a more substantial upgrade personally