GOG.com Beta impressions and info!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

Just some info on the site since they sent me my access key.

I've been waiting a while to try games like Fallout and MDK since I never got to try them before so as soon as I got my access key I decided to check out the site. The site is well put together and easy to navigate. Each game has some things you can download after you've purchased the game like the manual, wallpapers, avatars, and even noticed you can download the soundtrack to fallout and fallout 2 (maybe other games). I thought this was a nice addition to the website. Each game also has a forum you can go to, which for me was already helpful because I had terrible stuttering and a member of the GOG.com team posted something that fixed the problem.

Not sure if many people know the games they offer, so here's a list anyway.

1nsane Colin McRae Rally 2005 (soon), Conquest of the New World, Descent Series, Die by the Sword, Earthworm Jim Series, Evolva, F/A-18E Super Hornet, Fallout Series, Freespace Series, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, Invictus Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader, M.A.X. Series, MDK Series, Messiah, Operation Flashpoint (soon), Original War Perimeter, Redneck Rampage Series (soon), Sacrifice Shattered Steel, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (soon), Stonekeep (soon), Toca Race Driver 3 (soon)

There is no download manager or service like steam for games, they just downloaded through firefox. Download speed was good and MDK finished downloading in about 2-3 minutes. All games are either $5.99 or $9.99. New game(s) will be added on Tuesday and games being released the following week will be announced on Thursdays.

So far I I'm liking the service and will definitely be buying a lot of games I've missed out on. I also want to see what games they'll be adding in the future. Since I can get one game for free I was planning on getting Fallout 2, but should I play the first one first? I'm only asking because I heard the second one was better. And could anyone tell me if Shogo and the Descent series are any good?

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts

still waiting for a key :/

umm. playing the first one will get you used to the style more than anything. They both are great for they're style, but I don't think it makes a difference which you play first

lordaltay1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lordaltay1
Member since 2004 • 119 Posts
Looks like a fast and good service.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
lucky I wanted a key but did not get one yet:(
etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts
Thanks for the information, this looks to be a great service.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts
They say on their site that everyone who applied for a key will eventually get one. They are sending the keys out in stages so expect to see one later.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
If you are reading this thread and have not played Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, BUY THEM. ASAP. Or I will personally come to your apartment/house and... I don't know, sing that Bon Jovi song in Rock Band until your eardrums choke your brain out and put you in a coma.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

I receveid my key and I am impressed so far. Cheap price and they include downloadable content after you purchase the game, like manuals, wallpaper, in-game soundtrack, original soundtrack and avatar.

also buy 1 game and get 1 for free= sweet.

My only grip is that all the game are only in english, while several steam game were also in french (or others languages)

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
No key for me either.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
Bought F1 and F2..and so far im impressed by the beta..if only they could add videos of the game on there discriptions it would be heaven.
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

If you are reading this thread and have not played Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, BUY THEM. ASAP. Or I will personally come to your apartment/house and... I don't know, sing that Bon Jovi song in Rock Band until your eardrums choke your brain out and put you in a coma.Makari

lol I was hoping they would have Shogo:)

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
I got the key just now and I was excited to try it out.........until I realized that the "beta" doesn't mean free for a limited time, it's just early access to the service. Still though, it's a great thing. I'll probably pickup Fallout games in the future. They're only 6 bucks. :)
grassdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 grassdream
Member since 2006 • 1902 Posts
I got my key today, probably going to buy Fallout and then get Fallout 2 for my free game.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts
I have a question to the people that have access to GOG, do they have paypal payment options? If they don't they definetly have to add that.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I have a question to the people that have access to GOG, do they have paypal payment options? If they don't they definetly have to add that.simardbrad

It looks to be Visa and Mastercard only, sorry.

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts

I got the beta, it's pretty excellent.

EDIT: Driv3r? *facepalm* Please be typo...

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Got my key, setup my account and am loving it!!!!! Got Kingpin : Life of Crime for $5.99 and redeemed my free code for Fallout Tactics : Brotherhood of Steel (which I own but couldn't get to run well on XP). I really hope this service flourishes.
al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
Gonna get MDK2, and Fallout 2 later on (got my access code this morning). A very nice website, and I hope they keep getting more and more games signed on (especially those ones that are hard to find).
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
It's awesome. Super easy registration, super easy everything.
therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts
Just got my key.
I'm going to become a regular on this site!!!

Going to buy MDK as soon as I get home.
I used to love that game back in the day!
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Looking forward to this service, I noticed they have 1NSANE available http://kotaku.com/5047893/good-old-games-beta-launches

I remember playing that game at a LAN party, that was insanely ( :roll: ) hilarious and fun!!!! :D Playing king of hill, some guys would take slow but heavy vehicles, some would take fast but light vehicles -- I think you could even take a hovercraft speeder -- and ganging up on people, or "apparently" being ganged up on, cars flying all over the place, the mayhem was just hilarious.

I should pick this game up again.

Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

What other games are they releasing when it goes public.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

That games library is more appealing than I realised. I didn't know they had Earthworm Jim and Die by the Sword. Those games in particular are well worth getting. Especially Die by the Sword.

I was a little skeptical about GOG because it seemed like all their launch lineup was easy to find boxed, is cheap and runs fine in XP/Vista - so it's great to see some other games on there. Here's hoping they put up all the LucasArts adventure games and the System Shock series.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

I have a question to the people that have access to GOG, do they have paypal payment options? If they don't they definetly have to add that.simardbrad

1. What payment methods do you accept? Currently we can only accept payments using Visa and MasterCard cards. We're working on adding more payment methods soon.

Paypal should be available at launch

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts
the 2 for 1 deal is amazing!!!
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
still waiting for a key.... appears a lot of people on this forum arent getting one for a while.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of responses of picking up Freespace 2...

Personally, that game alone is the reason why I've signed up.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of responses of picking up Freespace 2...

Personally, that game alone is the reason why I've signed up.

Ein-7919

iirc, the game has gone freeware. but i'm not sure.

anyway, it's great that everyone is pleased with GoG. i have high hopes for it as well -- hope that it would teach the snotty Steam some manners. :D hopefully the list would get longer in the future :)

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

That games library is more appealing than I realised. I didn't know they had Earthworm Jim and Die by the Sword. Those games in particular are well worth getting. Especially Die by the Sword.

I was a little skeptical about GOG because it seemed like all their launch lineup was easy to find boxed, is cheap and runs fine in XP/Vista - so it's great to see some other games on there. Here's hoping they put up all the LucasArts adventure games and the System Shock series.

fatshodan
i was going to pimp DBTS and similarly threaten those that don't buy it with death, but i guess i had to recognize it was a love or hate kind of game (reviewed horribly here for the time, like 6.something iirc?). but god, we had so much fun with that game.. i primarily used mouse VSIM :D